CaRT Behaving Badly

dmr

Featured Posts

Not being a dog owner could you please explain why the dog bowl needs to be on the towpath rather than on the boat?

There's no reason a dog bowl needs to be on the towpath. Dogs don't need to drink continuously, although they should always have access to water. There's a handful of occasions when you might need to have the dog out of the way, so I semi understand why someone might put their dog on the towpath. BUT its certainly not a given right, and its a bit cheeky - your dog might be the world's cutest and friendliest, but not all people like dogs and some people (for example small children) are scared of all dogs. Dogs can sense things like this and take advantage of it. So I would perceive a dog on a towpath as a minor piss take, acceptable in only a minority of situations. Basically, don't impose on others in public spaces.

There's no reason a dog bowl needs to be on the towpath. Dogs don't need to drink continuously, although they should always have access to water. There's a handful of occasions when you might need to have the dog out of the way, so I semi understand why someone might put their dog on the towpath. BUT its certainly not a given right, and its a bit cheeky - your dog might be the world's cutest and friendliest, but not all people like dogs and some people (for example small children) are scared of all dogs. Dogs can sense things like this and take advantage of it. So I would perceive a dog on a towpath as a minor piss take, acceptable in only a minority of situations. Basically, don't impose on others in public spaces.

My (admittedly uninformed) feeling was that the dog would (should) be spending most of its time on the boat so the water was best placed where it could get at it easily i.e. somewhere on the boat.

I am quite upset and shocked to find that just about everybody who posted here feels it is a good thing to remove dog drinking bowls from outside a boat.

I am quite upset, though stopping short of being shocked, by your interpretation of the thread so far. I have read it all and I have not noticed "just about everybody" being of this opinion. Though we are dogless, I will add my vote to the (considerable) number who do not feel threatened or outraged by the presence of pet feeding bowls beside boats.

Was it enforcement or a litter clear up? Surely volunteers are regularly removing junk from the waterways.

The problem is who defines junk and what they define as junk.

This was not a litter pick up it was a planned enforcement of CRT policy of nothing on the towpath..which I don't really question..but I do question why it is different for the K& A as opposed to other canals ...

People had had notices stuck on items to be removed over a month ago..BUT when they came to remove the 'things' they also took everything & anything that was there on the towpath.

Not being a dog owner could you please explain why the dog bowl needs to be on the towpath rather than on the boat?

Maybe the dog bowls were for the owners dogs..but I know ( as a dog owner) that people do put a bowl out for passing dogs to drink from and very welcome they can be too especially in the summer months..it just strikes me as being really petty to take such an innocuous item.

Edited by Gillie

Maybe the dog bowls were for the owners dogs..but I know ( as a dog owner) that people do put a bowl out for passing dogs to drink from and very welcome they can be too especially in the summer months..it just strikes me as being really petty to take such an innocuous item.

Quite!

It is a good gesture that people regularly leave bowls of water for passing dogs, (often labelled as being there for that reason), and to remove them seems to be about as petty on rule enforcement as anybody is capable of getting!

It is totally bonkers if anything as trivial as a pet's bowl is routinely swept up under this initiative.

Leaving a dog bowl outside a boat is an act of kindness to other passing dogs.

If you walk through any town centre you will see bowls outside shops (not just pet shops).

I can only see this "tidy up" as a deliberate act of aggression from CaRT aimed at a section of the boating community that they don't like.

There are some p*** takers on the K&A, and many many elsewhere, but this is not a fair or decent means of enforcement. What about the fisherman who every Sunday take over a significant section of towpath with a pile of equipment? Their poles obstruct the towpath MUCH more than a pushbike, birdfeeder or dog bowl.

A conspiricy theorist (which I am not, but easily coukd be) might note that some of the towpath in the area concerned is due to be upgraded, and the sections that are already in good condition are routinely used for cycle racing. Its hard to believe this but its true because they post their high speed records on the www!

.................Dave

Some boat owners put out bowls of water for dogs being walked on the towpath. Being a dog owner myself, I have been grateful of this service at times. Its a nice thing to do.

Have you got a dog?

If you walk through any town centre you will see bowls outside shops (not just pet shops).

I repeat I am not a dog owner but I see many dogs drinking from the canal. Is there something wrong in this? I can understand in an urban environment there not being water a round and dog bowls being very welcome by the dogs.

• Greenie 1

I can only see this "tidy up" as a deliberate act of aggression from CaRT aimed at a section of the boating community that they don't like.

There are some p*** takers on the K&A, and many many elsewhere, but this is not a fair or decent means of enforcement. What about the fisherman who every Sunday take over a significant section of towpath with a pile of equipment? Their poles obstruct the towpath MUCH more than a pushbike, birdfeeder or dog bowl.

A conspiricy theorist (which I am not, but easily coukd be) might note that some of the towpath in the area concerned is due to be upgraded, and the sections that are already in good condition are routinely used for cycle racing. Its hard to believe this but its true because they post their high speed records on the www!

.................Dave

Well said Dave. (sadly it's wasted on some of the more selfish here)

.................Dave

I get the point, but really? The highlighted part is going just a little bit too far for a genuine mistake or a thoughtless act, isn't it?

In the grand scheme of things it isn't even a ripple on a very small bucket of water

I get the point, but really? The highlighted part is going just a little bit too far for a genuine mistake or a thoughtless act, isn't it?

In the grand scheme of things it isn't even a ripple on a very small bucket of water

Oh I don't know. I've seen some on here make huuuuuge mountains out of molehills.

I repeat I am not a dog owner but I see many dogs drinking from the canal. Is there something wrong in this?

It is frankly not a great idea, although as a dog owner I do know a dog may chose canals or muddy puddles in preference to fresh water in a clean bowl.

In certain weathers canals (and reservoirs) regularly contain things like blue green algae, and the firm advice is to keep your dogs well away from the water.

It is frankly not a great idea, although as a dog owner I do know a dog may chose canals or muddy puddles in preference to fresh water in a clean bowl.

In certain weathers canals (and reservoirs) regularly contain things like blue green algae, and the firm advice is to keep your dogs well away from the water.

I am aware of the odd problem e,g, the algae but I wondered why cattle (on a number of fields I have seen the only water source and fenced appropriately to give access), wildlife and fish survive with canal water (not to mention the dogs I have seen) when so many dog owners seem to thing water for dogs on the towpath is an essential kindness.

Just trying to get my head round the situation and failing miserably.

Also pesticides can cause problems as well as protozoans, such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium particulary if the dog has some underlying condition.

People had had notices stuck on items to be removed over a month ago..........

It would seem to me that the 'owners' of said junk / treasure were given a months notice that their junk / treasures would be taken away - why then is it such a surprise when it happens,?

Why then did they do nothing about it and move their valued junk / treasures before they were removed by C&RT ?

With regards to the question 'why here' surely somewhere has to be first and you start with the 'worst' area where you can have the greatest impact ( like CC enforcement within London). Others will get the message and the situation does not arise to the same extent in other areas.

It would seem to me that the 'owners' of said junk / treasure were given a months notice that their junk / treasures would be taken away - why then is it such a surprise when it happens,?

Why then did they do nothing about it and move their valued junk / treasures before they were removed by C&RT ?

With regards to the question 'why here' surely somewhere has to be first and you start with the 'worst' area where you can have the greatest impact ( like CC enforcement within London). Others will get the message and the situation does not arise to the same extent in other areas.

Yes i agree with you..they did have time and from what I heard a lot of people did remove their things..but yesterday and today other possessions were taken like bikes and elsan trailers..that is the thing that is really wrong to me..My daughter visited and left my grandchild's buggy outside the boat for about an hour..if I had been in the wrong place at the wrong time that could have been taken..to my mind I that seems like theft.

Also if you see my original post on the matter you will see that some things have been taken from permit holders moorings too..so all the little permit holders gardens/log stores /washing lines etc etc that I see all over the canal system might also have their things removed, if this is as you say, somewhere to make a start..

Anyway it seems that the said bit of towpath that is being 'cleared' is earmarked for widening and hard surfacing..no doubt so the cyclists of Bath & the surrounding area can do their time trials on it..

Edited by Gillie

Re dog bowls put beside boats for passing dogs to drink from. Personally, I would never let any of my dogs drink from another dogs water bowl as that is the fastest way to pass on things like kennel cough etc. As KC symptoms can be unseen in a dog for more than a week before the dog starts coughing and as the dog is infectious then as well as when it is coughing, you just need one carrier or dog with KC to drink from a bowl and all other dogs doing the same are likely to end up with KC. Not a nice thing for dogs to have especially elderly dogs. I don't mind my dogs having the occasional drink from the canal as long as I don't see signs of pollution etc. I know that canal water can harbour other nasties but I reckon they are so diluted and as the dog is unlikely to take more than a couple of laps of water, there is little risk in water from the canal.

I didn't see the situation on the K & A so won't pass comment but it does amuse me when folk say they are living on their boat when they really mean they are living on their boat and the towpath along side it! At a mooring near me, the boaters and local house residents lived in harmony for years till some boaters started taking over the towpath and the area became like a shanty town. It took years for harmony to be restored!

haggis

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

I'm sure that all the people who, out of kindness and a love for animals, leave water fro them to drink will be grateful that you have explained how cruel and thoughtless they are.

When people say that they live in a house, we may take it for granted that they mean that have the use of a garden, a drive and possibly a garage as well, may we not?

Happy wee soul, aren't you?

Do dogs develop immunity to nasty things in water? Our dog has drunk from canals for his whole life on our boat, without any ill effects.

We would certainly stop him if there was a green algae outbreak published, which I think they usually are.

I'm sure that all the people who, out of kindness and a love for animals, leave water fro them to drink will be grateful that you have explained how cruel and thoughtless they are.

When people say that they live in a house, we may take it for granted that they mean that have the use of a garden, a drive and possibly a garage as well, may we not?

Happy wee soul, aren't you?

yes, I am a happy wee soul, thank you for asking!

I didn't say that people leaving water bowls out for passing dogs are cruel or thoughtless. They may not know that dogs can easily pick up nasties from sharing water bowls. I was, I must admit, a wee bit concerned at the number of dog owners who said it was great for folk to leave out water bowls and I thought I would just say why I don't let my dogs drink from them. Each to his own but having taken on the responsibility of owning a dog I see it as my duty to help prevent them becoming ill, if I can.

Sorry, I don't quite understand your second paragraph or where it fits in with dogs drinking.

haggis

Poor analogy : Surely - when you buy a house you buy the garden, the shed, the garage, the drive as well - it is yours to do with as you wish ( almost - make it into a 'tip' and the Council will be after you).

When you buy a boat you do not get a 'roaming' length of bankside thrown in wherever you happen to stay.

Do dogs develop immunity to nasty things in water? Our dog has drunk from canals for his whole life on our boat, without any ill effects.

We would certainly stop him if there was a green algae outbreak published, which I think they usually are.

No, but they can be vaccinated against the more common infectious organisms that can be picked up from canals and other areas of the wider environment.

No, but they can be vaccinated against the more common infectious organisms that can be picked up from canals and other areas of the wider environment.

Would that be in addition to the 'normal' annual booster vaccs?

If so, I think we'll take him to a vet an top it up.

Yes i agree with you..they did have time and from what I heard a lot of people did remove their things..but yesterday and today other possessions were taken like bikes and elsan trailers..that is the thing that is really wrong to me..My daughter visited and left my grandchild's buggy outside the boat for about an hour..if I had been in the wrong place at the wrong time that could have been taken..to my mind I that seems like theft.

Also if you see my original post on the matter you will see that some things have been taken from permit holders moorings too..so all the little permit holders gardens/log stores /washing lines etc etc that I see all over the canal system might also have their things removed, if this is as you say, somewhere to make a start..

Anyway it seems that the said bit of towpath that is being 'cleared' is earmarked for widening and hard surfacing..no doubt so the cyclists of Bath & the surrounding area can do their time trials on it..

It's mindless intimidation and bullying. Anything to make life as difficult as possible. It's the mindset of CRT. Some excuse it, I and many others don't.

The behaviour by some of the people doing the collecting has been disgusting, and frankly, I am surprised no one was assaulted.