CaRT Behaving Badly

dmr

Featured Posts

If the facebook report is true then CaRT have a workboat going along the K&A confiscating boaters posessions that are left on the towpath. This includes birdfeeders and dog drinking bowls.

CaRT did warn a while ago that they were going to do this.

I don't have much sympathy for boaters who "colonise" the towpath and leave huge piles of junk on the towpath but surely taking birdfeeders and dog bowls is just going to make even the most reasonable of boaters become Anti-Cart?

But then I suppose these are only liveaboards, I bet they won't take leisure boaters picnic tables and BBQ's in the summer.

..................Dave

• Greenie 2

If the facebook report is true then CaRT have a workboat going along the K&A confiscating boaters posessions that are left on the towpath. This includes birdfeeders and dog drinking bowls.

I don't have much sympathy for boaters who "colonise" the towpath and leave huge piles of junk on the towpath but surely taking birdfeeders and dog bowls is just going to make even the most reasonable of boaters become Anti-Cart?

But then I suppose these are only liveaboards, I bet they won't take leisure boaters picnic tables and BBQ's in the summer.

..................Dave

If we can catch these villains stealing teddy bears from children, that would make a great scoop for narrowboatworld.

From here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=45820&hl=rubbish+on+towpath#entry849264

Boat Name:Nb Fat Rascal

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

It doesnt give me any pleasure to confirm this fact, but the picture shows the bags of rubbish collected along the towpath from the winding hole on the Puddle banks on the GU up to Bridge 88 on the North Oxford. This was last Sunday - 1st April and I can assure you that 90% + was from boaters. An old Porta potti/old fenders and rope/ a fuel filter ( element and housing)/ large picnic table/ several gallon oil cans containing waste oil and the other more general rubbish. Yes there wasa some rubbish that could be dog walkers or cyclists, but that was a very small part of what we found. There is a lot of room for improvment, but the better news is that the section we cleared from Braunston Tunnel down to the junction a month ago has remained virtually clear. Litter breeds More litter ???

001.jpg

Also ask Maffi about rubbish left by and in the cut, not just fishermen and walkers etc.

Edited by Ray T

..................Dave

Reasonable boaters don't leave junk on the towpath.

The situation, as I understand it, is that some weeks back C&RT put notices on items on the bank that would be removed.

Items that were clearly not junk were left unmarked. Notice was given to boaters that the marked items would be removed, I don't know if a date was given.

Contractors have started removing said items with the aid of a work boat, unfortunately many items, including bikes, which were not marked have been cleared away in the process.

Keith

The situation, as I understand it, is that some weeks back C&RT put notices on items on the bank that would be removed.

Items that were clearly not junk were left unmarked. Notice was given to boaters that the marked items would be removed, I don't know if a date was given.

Contractors have started removing said items with the aid of a work boat, unfortunately many items, including bikes, which were not marked have been cleared away in the process.

Keith

Its interesting to see its progressed from dog bowls and bird feeders to bicycles. In that case.....sounds like the contractors are at fault. But the boaters concerned (or whoever left the bike)....have to take some responsibility for their possessions too. You can't just leave something in a public area and expect it to be 100% safe.

I think the mess makers have had long enough to move there toot!

When I was cruising the Kennet and Avon a month or two ago, CART had been about tagging with notices all the rubbish on the tow paths.

There were great heaps of timber covered with tarps piles of cycles in the undergrowth, great heaps of scrap metal, tables and chairs and even a boat with a tag on, but that was, I think, because of all the timber on the roof that was growing large bushes and shrubs.

I think the Facebook report has taken a few liberties to embellish the situation, but I have seen some pictures a month or two back on the Kennet and Avon face book page that show items with notices on childrens bikes etc!
But these should not be on the tow path anyway!

Nipper

I think the mess makers have had long enough to move there toot!

When I was cruising the Kennet and Avon a month or two ago, CART had been about tagging with notices all the rubbish on the tow paths.

There were great heaps of timber covered with tarps piles of cycles in the undergrowth, great heaps of scrap metal, tables and chairs and even a boat with a tag on, but that was, I think, because of all the timber on the roof that was growing large bushes and shrubs.

I think the Facebook report has taken a few liberties to embellish the situation, but I have seen some pictures a month or two back on the Kennet and Avon face book page that show items with notices on childrens bikes etc!

But these should not be on the tow path anyway!

Nipper

Difficult to move a notice, put it anywhere you want and photograph it is it?

I wonder if they'll be visiting Cropredy when they've finished the K&A. A few of the long term moorers there are right royally taking the p!ss with crap on the bank.

When I was moored there for a couple of weeks earlier this year one passer-by actually complimented me on the tidy presentation of my boat. I commented it wasn't that tidy with a fair bit of junk and clutter on the roof. He said that's what he meant, it was all on my boat, not on the towpath "unlike lots of boats along here" (or words to that effect).

I see no reason to focus on the words junk or rubbish in this thread.

The opening post here was talking about C&RT removing items that have no place on a towpath like dog bowls and bird feeders and now bikes and piles of logs.

Then we hear they were warned weeks ago and even had offending items labelled.

What exactly is the problem here?

Items left unattended on public accessible land next to water stand every chance of ending up in it.

I don't want to see towpaths looking like an Asian Slum Waterway.

Inland Waterways are our heritage and not a housing estate for those who don't see a need to be tidy or respect land they not only don't own but also have no right to use for their own personal misuse.

Hear, hear. clapping.gif