Multifuel cooking stove, opinions please

Toby knight

Featured Posts

Multifuel cooking stove, opinions please

I've seen this stove on the Internet and I wondered whether it would be possible or if anybody has never fitted one into the son of the narrowboat, my thoughts thinking that it would be more eco-friendly can economic to get maximum use from the fule being burned. Squirrels seem to be popular, and expensive

I also like the idea of the Boatman stove, what are other peoples opinions please

http://www.modernstoves.co.uk/duo-multi-fuel-cooker-stove.html

My opinion:

Squirrels aren't really a 'cooking stove' except for a pan of boiling stuff and baking potatoes in the ash can.

The one in your link is 10-15 kw. That is massive for a narrowboat (Squirrel is about 5kw and too much for us, mostly)

Someone here will be able to say if you can run it at a much lower heat output without tarring the chimney too much.

If you are looking for something which will be a heating stove and a cooking stove too, the "Epping" is often found in narrowboats. It is not cheap but it's made for the job.

What do you mean by fitting it in "the son of the narrowboat"?

Edited by Athy

I wouldn't rely on diesel or gas heating. My personal experience is that they are a pain in the ass, noisy and can be unreliable.

I wouldn't trade our 2 stoves for anything (one front Squirrel - and a rear mini-range type. Premier.)

I just looked at Premier's web site and found only gas and electric models. Is this a discontinued item?

It's the old 'Nipper' stove, copied, produced and sold by Midland Chandlers and definitely discontinued. It's nothing to do with your website. There are a lot of them in Hudson boats and are a bit smaller than the Epping. It's brilliant but you have to train both it and yourself to use it effectively.

I have to use dictation and it can be difficult Poor eyesight also

I'm not sure I found the website by accident, and just wondered if anybody else had ever considered it

I apologise. Just trying to help! No problem.

Thanks I think I'll stick to a squirrel or a boatman

Wait here a while. The oven thing seems to be a good idea. There'll be a stove expert along after his tea.

I'm just concerned about the 15kW thing. We'd be hanging off the sides of the boat with that going!

Have a look at the new "Tomlow" stove, built by Steve Priest of Brinklow Boat Services and mostly made of mild steel and so doesn't suffer the problems that you get with a cast equivalent.

They are sold through Midland Chandlers.

Edited by Liam

Have a look at the new "Tomlow" stove, built by Steve Priest of Brinklow Boat Services and mostly made of mild steel and so doesn't suffer the problems that you get with a cast equivalent.

They are sold through Midland Chandlers.

Can't find one on their site. Could be just my age, combined with the time of day!

Fair enough. At least it will be an economical option.

It's worth bearing in mind that some stoves come with the option of a flue from their top or from their back. if available, go for the back option, as this will leave more space for your kettle or pan on the top.

It used to be that such stoves had a thinner circle of metal where the top flue would have been, this of course made that part into a hotplate so that your kettle would boil more quickly. I am not sure whether this feature is still offered, but it's worth finding out.

I do all my cooking on my boatman, bear in mind that a backboiler will reduce the heat of the top plate, but I happily use a large crock pot with a piece of mesh in the bottom as a half decent oven, along with boiling, frying etc on the top.

How about this or too big?

http://www.arredatutto.com/en/la-nordica-romantica-3-5-marrone-sfumato-dx-p-26157.html?campagna_adw=shopping_gb&country_id=222&currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KEQiApruyBRCFqoDu1pbk9rkBEiQAF8EFdeiHVedlBvx-_IgsuiG4cjVDSzsgjTMRdw76JIqZQeAaArsf8P8HAQ

This from Kotly which is a Polish company. I believe it must have an oven, as three doors. No idea as to quality, but cheap at £152.30. They have other kitchen stoves but bigger.

http://kotly.com/en/freestanding-oven-flame-p-4457.html?language=en

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?