Rochdale Canal Moorings

sirisol

Featured Posts

In February 2016 I need to take a 57 foot shared boat over the Rochdale to Sowerby Bridge which will be our new base. I am thinking about the Manchester to Rochdale Summit section and where we might safely moor overnight on this stretch. At present my idea is to start early from Castlefields and go to Thomas Telford Basin (a tiny detour up the Ashton but recommended as a safe mooring). Additional crew join us at TT Basin. The nest day we make for The Rose of Lancaster PH. After that I am not sure. Is there anywhere in Littleborough? Any advice would be very welcome.

If you go past Rose of Lancaster about half a mile there are good moorings just before and just after the the aqueduct over The River Irk.

Telford Basin I do like, you may have to go in backwards in a 57 footer as the turn coming from the Manchester direction is pretty tight, similarly you may have to come out backwards. The locals seem quite willing to tell you the combination lock number to get back over the bridge to the towpath.

Just out of Rochdale on the east side is quite nice too, a sudden transformation from Rochdale to lovely coutryside (except for the Railway)

click here for a google map

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Rochdale/@53.6242073,-2.1246962,285m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x487bb88ceb3db3ab:0x9a885edb20da6527!6m1!1e1

Here are three photos I took there

20150626_192935.jpg

20150627_073856.jpg

20150626_180340.jpg

The transformation from Grim Rochdale to almost coutryside is really sudden and a welcome relief!

Yes, Littleborough would be the obvious spot. We moored below the locks a couple of summers back but I must admit there wasn't much space - several boats there already. Not sure if it's always busy. I think you can moor above the locks too.

If you can, go through Rochdale centre in the early part of the day - the local are a pain in the ar_e !

Even though I think the canal through Rochdale is the pits, I wouldn't extend that to the locals, who I found to be friendly and helpful.

There are reasonable moorings at Slattocks, but the two pubs are no more than adequate.

My boat was set adrift when I was moored near the aqueduct at the Rose of Lancaster (and therefore out of sight of the pub)

Edited to point out that Lock 13, Callis Lock, above Hebden Bridge, is closed from Jan 4 to Feb 26

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

You can moor right outside the Rose of Lancaster, although you may need a plank if the boat is deep drafted.

You can go from the Rose to the Summit in a day if you wish. Rochdale itself is rather grim, but Littleborough is fine - you can moor below the locks or below the top lock, for the Summit pub, and ready to go over the top the next morning.

You can't moor overnight on the summit pound itself, but pretty much anywhere else from the summit to Sowerby Bridge is fine, although I would avoid the shorter pounds as the level can go down overnight.

Even though I think the canal through Rochdale is the pits, I wouldn't extend that to the locals, who I found to be friendly and helpful.

My boat was set adrift when I was moored near the aqueduct at the Rose of Lancaster (and therefore out of sight of the pub)

I would agree with that, locals all seemed friendly when we were there. May be not the sort I would choose as friends but friendly none the less.

Interesting to hear you were set adrift, there were one or two interesting sorts on the towpath when were were there in late June but we never left the boat unattended. The local youths were trying to get me to fill the bottom lock so they could jump into it! They went away quietly when I said no and explained why I wouldn't.

You can do...

Castlefield to New Islington marina - day1. Stay overnight.

New Islington to Rose of Lancaster. - Have a nice meal.

From Rose of Lancaster...go right through Rochdale...stop at SmithyBridge. Nice walk up the hill...lovely lake with fish and chips/pubs etc.

SmithBridge is very close to Littleborough. Nice pubs. Your first water point after New Islington Marina. Elsan point too.

Littleborough...to the Summit. - 1 days travel.

The Summit is lovely...stay as long as you can.

Walsden scenery is lovely. Water point.

Todmorden. - Water point. Nice town. Elsan point.

:)

You can't moor overnight on the summit pound itself, but pretty much anywhere else from the summit to Sowerby Bridge is fine, although I would avoid the shorter pounds as the level can go down overnight.

I don't think there is any restriction on mooring on the summit pound now, is there? I've certainly seen boats moored there. But just below West Summit lock are better moorings. Just don't try it below East Summit, though - I've been well and truly stuck there!

The Summit pub at West Summit is nothing special, and the Bird in Hand at East Summit closed some years ago. In fact there are no good pubs between Littleborough and Gauxholme now, and even the Masons Arms at the latter was for sale this spring.

No limit on the Summit. It's lovely...recommend it. If you walk over the canal bridge near the Summit pub (newly relaunched) , you can walk up into the Pennine hills...it's lovely..some huge rock structures......

I didn't know you could moor on the Summit! I wish I had know that in the summer, we planned on mooring on the East side but there was no water at all on the mooring! I am amazed we got through the pound at all, eventually stopped after another couple of locks further down by the playing fields. (we needed the full length of the boarding plank!). Nice walk back to the pub at the west end of the summit but not a nice pub!)

Suggest from Castlefields:

New Islington (two locks after Rochdale 9 in Manchester) - free 48 hours immediately outside marina

Rose of Lancaster - shortly after canalside pub of same name

Slattocks - immediately after the top lock in Laneside flight, three miles south of Rochdale

Just after Durn lock - limited C&RT facilities and water point nearby

That should take you to the summit.

Edited by by'eck

Thank you all for your advice. I feel much happier about tackling this stretch! I am hoping that stoppage at Lock 13 will finish on time and allow us through but I am told Pennine Canal Stoppages often run late as the weather can be rough in the winter. I suspect I will need my winter woolies for this canal in February!

I had thought about New Islington but there was a report (http://marinawatch.orguk.net) which suggests that this is not a very nice place! I do note that the reports on there are a year old so perhaps it is better now. That was the concensus in July 2015 on this forum.

Thank you all for your advice. I feel much happier about tackling this stretch! I am hoping that stoppage at Lock 13 will finish on time and allow us through but I am told Pennine Canal Stoppages often run late as the weather can be rough in the winter. I suspect I will need my winter woolies for this canal in February!

I had thought about New Islington but there was a report (http://marinawatch.orguk.net) which suggests that this is not a very nice place! I do note that the reports on there are a year old so perhaps it is better now. That was the concensus in July 2015 on this forum.

Had no issues whatsover couple of months ago. New concrete berthing, very open with plenty of natural security, other boats around etc. Although Piccadilly vilage is not too bad, wouldn't trust overshadowed Telford basin, so very close to dodgy top lock of Rochdale 9, plus you are on the wrong canal by then anyway.

Had no issues whatsover couple of months ago. New concrete berthing, very open with plenty of natural security, other boats around etc. Although Piccadilly vilage is not too bad, wouldn't trust overshadowed Telford basin, so very close to dodgy top lock of Rochdale 9, plus you are on the wrong canal by then anyway.

Interesting to hear different opinions, We did walk through New Islington Marina and it did seem OK but Telford basin which you can't access from the tow path seemed very secure to us with the locked gate on the bridge over the canal.

20150624_155728.jpg

20150624_164906.jpg

• 6 years later...

Just going down the Rochdale canal from Todmorden, across the the summit and currently at Smithy Bridge.  The canal side moorings are poor because there is so little water and the sides have collapsed in many places, so large sections if stone are stopping our options to moor.  Also the silt build-up is causing problems with grounding all the way along.  Great views, lovely to travel along the canal but sorry to say that condition of locks is poor.  Mooring really is difficult and there are very few services long the way!  As an example at lock 48, the ratchet on the one top-side working paddle has come apart! #CRTMaintenance #CRTHelp #CRTCanalNeedsLove   

There is some truth in thiis, but it is an unusual (and short) canal. You had good services in Hebden Bridge and Todmorden and a good water tap just above Littleborough.

The section from Littleborough to Manchester is certainly not good but its a "transit" and nobody stops along the way except at a few known locations. If you think what you have seen is bad then wait till you do Rochdale and the Manchester 18. 😀

But to look on the brightside, several boats have got caught by a mattress in Rochdale in the last couple of weeks but were unable to lift it out. As soon as a boater gave CRT a good description of its location they sent a team out to remove it.

Reasonably good morings at the top of Slattocks, you even have mooring rings.  Next night is probably the Boat and Horses, a bit shallow but also with rings, then an early start and long day into Manchester.