Biking and Canals go together but....

Featured Posts

Where do you get your bike fixed / Serviced? How often and do you pay for this?

DIY

They have to be one of the simplest things on the planet to service.

Plenty of 'how to' vids on you tube if unsure about setting brakes and gears up if not sure.

And if you lived in Birmingham, or Leicester, or whatever, would you still be asking? Even on the inland waterways you'll pass somewhere civilised enough to have a bike shop now and then! ;)

Now, if you're narrowboating up the Amazon, you might be in trouble if you can't fix your own bike. Then again, a bike might not be welcome in the rainforest - but you're also mistaken if you think it'll be universally welcomed on the towpath! :)

Depends on what bike you have I would say.

Mine has two wheels a frame and a few bits to steer it, sit on and stop it moving.

I take it yours has something particularly unusual?

Was just curios. Seems you are all quite able so far.

It's truly not rocket science. What does help as with most things is having the right tools (not much needed really) and a stand helps, to hold it off the ground. But that is not strictly necessary if space is tight.

Currently a just a hard tail mountain bike. But there is quite a few different bikes on the market.

There are! And 99.9% are made to a standard, so parts are interchangeable. For instance, Trek makes bikes - they don't make gear sets, but Shimano do. And Shimano sets fit practically every other bike too

Richard

DIY

They have to be one of the simplest things on the planet to service.

Plenty of 'how to' vids on you tube if unsure about setting brakes and gears up if not sure.

Someone who has never rebuilt a Sturmey Archer three speed gear hub, I suspect!

Ok I know one rarely finds them these days, but they used to challenge me when I was 13 and I worked in the bike shop!

To a degree yes.

Go on then, explain where I am wrong

Richard

Ok I know one rarely finds them these days, but they used to challenge me when I was 13 and I worked in the bike shop!

Did you ever rebuild one of the four speed hubs?

I don't believe they are very common nor do I believe the OP's bike has one so not particularly relevant to the discussion really.

Happy to be told by the OP that his has one though.

If i was a boater, nearly am again, i would worry if i couldnt service or repair a push bike, there will be more worrying things to amend whilst on the the cut.

You could always do the same as other folk. If it goes wrong, chuck it in the cut and get another one

Richard

Go on then, explain where I am wrong

Richard

Did you ever rebuild one of the four speed hubs?

No, I encountered them once in a while but never a busted one to fix. Quite rare.

Awkward buggers to adjust the gear change levers on though IIRC. Must be 45 years since I last saw one.

Jeez, that's the sort of think my grandad used to say!

You could always do the same as other folk. If it goes wrong, chuck it in the cut and get another one

Richard

lol, could make a living on the cut, new business idea for me, scrap collecting on the cut, mite beef up a fishing rake ;) got a strong back end now to do so ;)

I had a bike with one. It was a bit of a misnomer - you could only ever get three gears out of it, the adjuster just changed which three

Richard

Yep, that's what I meant. It all comes flooding back now you say it!

I don't believe they are very common nor do I believe the OP's bike has one so not particularly relevant to the discussion really.

Happy to be told by the OP that his has one though.

Who's a Mr Grumpy today then??!