STOVES 500DIT IGNITION

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

I have a bit of a problem with my aging Stoves 500DIT cooker.

This morning, as usual, I lit a burner to boil the kettle, no problem. Tried to light the grill, pressed the ignition switch, no click, no ignition nor would it light anything else.

Everything will still light with a match, so I guess it has something to do with the spark generator. Any clues?

Cheers,

T.

Check for voltage at the igniter switch and at the spark generator. If there's no voltage then you have a cable break somewhere. If there is voltage then the spark generator may have died (our house Valor gas fire igniter died last winter - worked one day, didn't work the next).

Good luck,

Tony

Edited by WotEver

There are three types of spark generator that can be fitted to this cooker. One takes 240V AC, one takes 12V DC, and the other takes an AA battery.

First question would be which you have. If it's the battery one, most likely just needs a new battery.

Unfortunately the spark generator is on the back of the unit (it's towards the top on the left side, looking from the front) so may be a pain to get to.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on this, but I popped over to France for a few days.

The problem is solved. I removed the swich from the front of the cooker, this being the easiest starting point.

Everything looked ok, so I shoved it back in, tried it again and it worked perfectly.

Maybe it was a bit mucky or one of the conections had come loose, but sorted.

Thanks for the input. As always, it's much appreciated.

• 2 years later...

Same thing has happened to me, these are still available from Stoves spare parts, I’ve just ordered one £14.62 inc. postage. Their phone no. is 0344 815 3740, you will need model and serial nos. on label visible when you open oven door. Mine was not the battery one. 

On 16/11/2015 at 16:28, Ex Brummie said:

I had a similar problem in the summer. On mine, the switch had failed. Check voltage supply first, then check switch action.If it is the switch, then this is obsolete, but you can find a replacement at Maplins. It just takes a bit of adapting.

See my post below, still available from Stoves

Edited by JimDows
Missed something off

This is straight replacement without any adapting needed, which is better for me as I’m not the world’s best at doing stuff like that. I was really replying to someone who said these were not made any more; that post seems to have disappeared Ex Brummie