New lift bridge at Lodgemoor - Cotswold Canals

PaulG

Featured Posts

Ignore that project Atlas link, that was what was intended when BW were involved.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the additional information.

I believe that the Project Atlas is still relevant as it was produced to support the Lottery bid.

The Lead Partner changed as a result of BW's withdrawal, but nonetheless, the funding bodies would normally expect the project as a whole to be delivered unchanged.

It is quite possible (I don't actually know) that there was some renegotiation in the light of BW's failure to get the project started in timely fashion, and the changed economic circumstances that prevailed when the project actually got underway.

The words "endeavour" and "similar" are, of course, open to interpretation!

• 2 weeks later...

Lodgemore Bridge has been a problem,which is why it is being replaced late in the Phase 1A restoration.True to form,it is still giving problems .If anyone doubts the commitment to restore the Stroudwater and Thames and Severn Canals,they should see the work that has been done at Capels Mill.to divert the canal around roadworks and a rubbish tip .Acording to the latest edition of the"Trow" magazine,the application to the lottery fund for Phase !B(the canal from Ocean to the G & S canal )should be in by the end of November. The Cotswold Canals Trust is signing up people to commit to pay £10 per month for 5 years to raise part of the match funding required for the bid. Phone 01453 752568 or mail@cotswoldcanals.com .Plenty of info on the web,including the trusts own website.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm that's interesting. I was only riding me bike along there the other day (after fixing a boiler in Stroud) and thinking what an odd canal. Very nice canal but it just stops dead just after passing under some very expensive looking new bridges in the town centre.

Go through an immaculately restored lock just west (I think) of that new lift bridge site and you get 100 yds of navigation then solid undergrowth and no water!

I'll just answer that

By the end of the next year [Hah!] it will be continuously navigable from the railway at Stonehouse at least to Bowbridge - you are seeing a "work in progress"

Coming from downstream, the navigation is more or less ready from Stonehouse to the bridge including 4 locks

Upstream from this bridge, Wallbridge Lower Lock has a new bywaysh and fish pass, but awaits restoration, the works above it and below are largely complete although a minor lansdslip has to be rectified

Then there is the brand new Brewry Bridge and Wallbridge Upper Lock. The bridge was built to a highway timescale, so was ready much earlier than the canal around it. The lock is actually a "re-restoration" having been done as a showpiece in the 80's, so it too was very easry. By comparison the lower lock needs a wall to be stabilised and then an earth embankment removing before work can even start.

Immediately above Wallbridge upper lock the canal is filled by the residue of a major landslide, which I think happened in 2004 or 5. A developer, working without planning consent, put a piling rig onto the site which gave way - the developer has since gone bust. Solutions are now being devised and this shoud open next year. A lot of the fill is actually stuff that was put in the canal to secure the toe of the slip.

Carrying on east from here is an impressive new cutting through a tip at Capels Mill - after that the canal is to be dredged to Bowbridge where a new bridge over the tail of the lock will be built by Gloucestershire County Council - above this the works have been done by volunteers.

He introduces himself as Professor Mark <something> right at the beginning. No further explanation offered. That alone I found itrritating!

Let alone all the false bonhomie and excessive enthusiasm for a subject about which he seems to know nothing.

The scene where he enthuses about how the car drivers will get to see a canal as they negotiate the roundabout was particularly cringeworthy. That's when I had to stop watching sick.gif

He introduces himself as Professor Mark <something> right at the beginning. No further explanation offered. That alone I found itrritating!

Let alone all the false bonhomie and excessive enthusiasm for a subject about which he seems to know nothing.

The scene where he enthuses about how the car drivers will get to see a canal as they negotiate the roundabout was particularly cringeworthy. That's when I had to stop watching sick.gif

If you had managed to stick through his shouty voice at then end he is captioned as "Professor Mark Horton, Vice President Cotswold Canals Trust". You would have thought that he would know something about the subject, but it certainly did not come over like that. Nice video all the same.

Edit to add, also see here http://www.cotswoldcanals.com/pages/posts/stroudwater-navigation---fifteen-minutes-of-inspiration-816.php

Edited by john6767

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...