Voting opens for the CRT council reps

Dave_P

Featured Posts

It's a bit like X Factor but better maybe?

Link: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-structure/the-council/trust-council-elections-2015

My initial thoughts: Boaters reps; Only 8 people managed to get 10 nominations (which isn't exactly a lot) and there's 4 positions available. So anyone with half an ounce of gumption to ask 10 people to nominate them will have a 50/50 chance of getting on the council.

Doesn't really seem a very high bar to me.

It's a bit like X Factor but better maybe?

Link: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-structure/the-council/trust-council-elections-2015

My initial thoughts: Boaters reps; Only 8 people managed to get 10 nominations (which isn't exactly a lot) and there's 4 positions available. So anyone with half an ounce of gumption to ask 10 people to nominate them will have a 50/50 chance of getting on the council.

Doesn't really seem a very high bar to me.

No, and it shows.

No, and it shows.

It really does! Jeez! I've just read through the statements. Not exactly inspiring are they? Does anyone actually suggest a plan for improving boater engagement, or mention what they would do in practice, rather than vague statements about what we need to try and do?

The other approach seems to be just to list the amount of boating they've done or how many committees they've sat on!

Finally, if you can't be bothered to check your spelling and grammar, you won't be getting my vote!

Anyone with 'half an ounce of gumption' realised it was a pointless exercise (as, if appointed, they had no effective input into C&RTs plans or their implementation) so didn't bother 'applying'.

The only benefit of being appointed is that it would look good on your CV.

I can't agree. A genuinely good candidate would work with boaters outside of the occassional meetings to build a consensus of opinion on matters which affect us all. A good candidate would be travelling the country and using their council position to set-up and engage with boating groups. What boaters lack right now is a unified voice A good candidate would be using their own time to find the common ground so that a unified voice could be found.

If that person then went to council meeting, armed with the backing of boaters and boating groups from across the country, CRT would be much more likely to listen.

There is only one candidate that I can see who has even mentioned an intention to engage with individual boaters and suggested (vaguely) a mechanism for doing so. That's Stella Ridgeway.

Since the last lot of council elections (4 years ago?) I've had no direct contact with any boating rep whatsoever. Judging by the candidates we have this time, I don't see that changing.

Edited by Dave_P

Or can't be bothered to submit a photograph

Or can't be bothered to write anything of any relevance, worth or insight.

e.g. "As a member of Rammey Marsh Cruising Club, I have cruised the inland waterways for the past 28 years.

I have held numerous positions with RMCC and have always been heavily involved with User Groups and User Group meetings for the London are.

I strongly believe that co-operation between CRT and users is essential to maintain our waterways for future generations."

Duh! Thanks for that. How about telling us something you might do? (Apart from learning how to spell area properly?)

I'm wondering if I just got out of bed the wrong side this morning? I'm not usually this grumpy!

Edited by Dave_P

comments:

Where is this full list of candidates which is supposed to be here?

Answer:

You'll find the candidates by clicking on the constituencies under 'Candidates' on the right of this page. (This is explained in the second para above). Thanks for your comment.

frusty.gif frusty.gif

Despite any shortfalls in their manifestos I still take my hat off to anyone who is prepared to give up their time to volunteer for these positions.

I would too, if I had any confidence that the candidates were prepared to give up any more than the bare minimum of their time.

Despite any shortfalls in their manifestos I still take my hat off to anyone who is prepared to give up their time to volunteer for these positions.

Irrespective of their motives? To me that is the issue with most of them, you can not tell what is motivating them to do this.

Ego.

Sadly, I have to agree. There's one or two candidates who seem to have some thought towards achieving something. The rest - no.

Isn't Vaughn Welch's statement the same as last time round? You'd think he'd take the opportunity to highlight the things he's achieved in the last 3 to 4 years? frusty.gif

Sadly, I have to agree. There's one or two candidates who seem to have some thought towards achieving something. The rest - no.

Isn't Vaughn Welch's statement the same as last time round? You'd think he'd take the opportunity to highlight the things he's achieved in the last 3 to 4 years? frusty.gif

He spent most of his time at boater meetings etc with parry. I will give him that. Every meeting I attended, he was there. I agree though, any achievements would have been listed. I guess it just proves, there is in fact nothing to be achieved.

I'm afraid my vote this time will be a tactical one, aimed at keeping 3 idiots out.

There are two that give me a little confidence.

Edited by jenlyn

Irrespective of their motives? To me that is the issue with most of them, you can not tell what is motivating them to do this.

Well one would hope it is an interest in the future of the waterways that motivates them and several candidates have certainly demonstrated significant involvement in the past. I'm not sure how much of an ego boost these positions would be to anyone but could understand if it was to carry out a personal agenda.

He spent most of his time at boater meetings etc with parry. I will give him that. Every meeting I attended, he was there. I agree though, any achievements would have been listed. I guess it just proves, there is in fact nothing to be achieved.

I'm afraid my vote this time will be a tactical one, aimed at keeping 3 idiots out.

There are two that give me a little confidence.

Do you actually achieve anything, is the best they can hope for is to nudge opinion in the right direction. There are lots of situations where you cant claim to achieve anything but if you hadn't been there the outcome may have been different.

I was on the Broads Forum for about 4 years. I didn't do it for the ego but because no one else did. I can't say I achieved anything, but I did feed back to the 4 organisations I was representing following every meeting. We met 4 times a year and I stood down last year, there is still no one else in my position.

Do you actually achieve anything, is the best they can hope for is to nudge opinion in the right direction. There are lots of situations where you cant claim to achieve anything but if you hadn't been there the outcome may have been different.

The one thing I have learnt over the past 3 years, is the fact that any nudging, input or suggestion, is pretty much worthless.

By the time the trust starts involving you in any consultation on any particular issue, you can be assured the decision has been made. They merely look to you, to come up with the same answer to the issue as they have. Of course, often, your answers are different, because you have "hands on" knowledge of the waterways, but that is ignored, and eventually, so are you.

I would too, if I had any confidence that the candidates were prepared to give up any more than the bare minimum of their time.

As one of the candidates, may I hang my hat and say that after telling us we had 250 words, it was only 150 words. I have tried to engage with boaters through social media as it is difficult to meet everyone. I have already attended CRT waterways forums and I am in contact with boaters who sit on both the national user group and advisory groups. I have a Facebook page which you are welcome to view (I will just say I am also an active Trade Union Rep and will be putting my skills to use if elected)

I am passionate about preserving our way of life and I believe that things can change. We need to change the culture within CRT and this is one way. I would also be using this forum to gather views in the future and to feedback

My name - Stella Ridgway and thankyou for the vote of confidence above.

• Greenie 1

As one of the candidates, may I hang my hat and say that after telling us we had 250 words, it was only 150 words. I have tried to engage with boaters through social media as it is difficult to meet everyone. I have already attended CRT waterways forums and I am in contact with boaters who sit on both the national user group and advisory groups. I have a Facebook page which you are welcome to view (I will just say I am also an active Trade Union Rep and will be putting my skills to use if elected)

I am passionate about preserving our way of life and I believe that things can change. We need to change the culture within CRT and this is one way. I would also be using this forum to gather views in the future and to feedback

You have yourself listed as a constant cruiser, is that the system, or just a particular area?

You also state you are not on any association committee etc. Will you be making it clear that you will be a NABO committee member as of tomorrow if elected?

I said earlier in the thread that your pitch was the most positive. Your active involvement in this forum and social media is welcome too.

Because I'm a bit sad. I just counted the words from one candidate. 61. I'd reckon it took precisely 3 minutes to come up with.

Your pitch looks excellent by comparison.

There is a not a huge amount of evidence as to what these people do, nor as said a huge rush to become a nominee. However, even with 50% due to make it through, there is more than enough scope to select the better half, which if they do anything at all (including having a but of push to something) that's worth doing, so I will be voting too.

Almost anything is better than nothing, and better is a good thing.

I expect it goes does without saying, but for clarity I am very happy for candidates to use to forum and our facebook page to reach the public, within the bounds of normal forums rules and expections.

Daniel.