Can anyone identify these locations?

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

1 possibly on eight mile pound between hatton top and lapworth. 2 and 3 are bottom of buckby locks. 4 is top of buckby locks

You're right with 2, 3 and 4, but I reckon No.1 is the bridge near to the Buckby end of Braunston Tunnel, and it looks like the same pair of boats that are coming out of the top of Buckby in No.4 . . . . from what can be seen in the two pictures, a pair of little Woolwich's, and both boats clothed up in the same way.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

The first picture is a well known one of the Asterope and Dubhe at Welton road bridge - the other side of Braunston tunnel (before rebuilding).Nos 2 and 3 bottom of Buckby, No 4 is the Asterope and Dubhe again at the top of Buckby, steerer Bert Wallington

KK.

I can tell you the name of the pub where they came from.....................................Narrowboat at Weedon and Judith still 'winds' me up for for buying them --- the landlord promised me a new set but when we got back to the boat we realized they had seen 'a lot of action'.

A couple of the pics feature in David Blagrove's book 'The Waterways of Northamptonshire'. Let me know if you want to borrow the book.

Mind the gravy stains on them.

They are all GU scenes.

M.

Is it ok to use this thread for the same reason, identifying areas, but for different pics?

I shall try a few and see what happens...

post-3500-0-79847700-1447414335_thumb.jpg

It looks like a lock pound from the level of water and just the suggestion of a lock under the bridge in the back ground.

This one will probably be impossible, but could anyone hazard a guess from the style of barge in the background as to where it could be?

post-3500-0-06500700-1447414090_thumb.jpg

pranne.bmp

Edited by AMModels

This one will probably be impossible, but could anyone hazard a guess from the style of barge in the background as to where it could be?

attachicon.gifphoto 1800's.jpg

The style of square stern in the background and the winch on the boat alongside would suggest the north west, so possibly Ellesmere Port, Runcorn or Weston Point.

That would explain why the boat is so close to the towpath. That's how that flight is built

Richard

I believe the locks were offset like that to allow for future duplication. Presumably two towpaths for the same reason.

It was the twin towpaths which suggested to me this was probably the Tame Valley Canal, and from there it was just a matter of flicking through the likely locations on the Canaplan gazeteer.

Edited by David Mack

post-3500-0-79847700-1447414335_thumb.jp

I would say that is Deykin Avenue Bridge, just below Lock 12 at Perry Bar.

d5_4it.jpg

Thats brilliant thank you for that, amazing to see how so much is still there all these years later. I thnk thats the lock my great uncle was drowned in.

NO! Everyone knows the old boaters never did that

blink.png

Richard

I know he never let me do that on our boats. I think its the snubber for long pounds as there was invariably a joey or two following close behind.

The one with the line hanging from the tiller?

Richard

The style of square stern in the background and the winch on the boat alongside would suggest the north west, so possibly Ellesmere Port, Runcorn or Weston Point.

Thanks Mike, I always presumed it to be Worcester, I wondered if there was any way to clear the image to see any names or details of other boats but the image has a very fixed focal point on the two gents and not the boat in the background.

Which is the T&S boat though? ... its got a very long cabin, BEN only had an engine room and a stove big enough for a pot of tea as far as I was aware, Princess Anne was a tug (or was it used full length for a while?) were there others?

Jay

looking at the HNBC website I've answered my own question!

Edited by Jay4424

Princes Anne was full length and would be loaded to tow joeys when with Elements and it is her in the pic, I presumed she was shortened when Ed Greenwood took her up north.

Sorry I see youd answered yourself at the bottom, heres another pic of her around that time.

post-3500-0-64987900-1447755154_thumb.jpg

Which is the T&S boat though? ... its got a very long cabin, BEN only had an engine room and a stove big enough for a pot of tea as far as I was aware, Princess Anne was a tug (or was it used full length for a while?) were there others?

Jay

looking at the HNBC website I've answered my own question!

"King George V" was another, formerly "Umbriel" from GUCCCo. There was also Mayflower, May queen, Prince Charles, all were ex GU boats, all full length.