Kinver lock slipway

Jeffers71

Featured Posts

Well, if nothing handier pops up, there's always Stourport where you can slip into the Severn and lock straight up into the canal.

that could be good as I'm looking to buy a boat in Gloucester and I'm hoping to avoid a 2 day trip up the Severn over the winter, cos I thought it might be a bit rough

that could be good as I'm looking to buy a boat in Gloucester and I'm hoping to avoid a 2 day trip up the Severn over the winter, cos I thought it might be a bit rough

What are you thinking of buying?

Richard

The Severn can be fine in winter, you just need to pick your slot. When we went up last February the water was quite low and the river was a pussycat. Also, remember that lock opening days and hours are restricted in winter and you need to book your passage at least 24 hours ahead.

If I remember correctly, the slipway referred to was above Kinver lock on the site where Dawncraft were in the 60s. There is nothing useable there now, sorry.

Dave

I vaguely recall it. I seem to remember it ran at 90 degrees right across the towpath, which is presumably why it is no longer there.

Thought so. Unless it's very small, you are going to need more than a slipway to launch a narrowboat

Richard

It might be that she is thinking of the sloping ramp sort of thing that they have at lots of canal basins (I don't call them marinas. They are not on the sea!) and boatyards. Sounds more like a craning on to a lorry and then a craning back into the canal. Pricey!

It might be that she is thinking of the sloping ramp sort of thing that they have at lots of canal basins (I don't call them marinas. They are not on the sea!) and boatyards. Sounds more like a craning on to a lorry and then a craning back into the canal. Pricey!

I was thinking there might be a slipway like the one at Stoke Bruerne locks which slopes down really gradually into the pound between the locks, I'm sure you could probably launch a 23 foot springer there

There is a slipway where you can launch a Narrowboat at Droitwich spa marina at the southern end of the Worcester and Birmingham canal. Only there are lots of stoppages on the w&b at the moment

So you arrive with a narrowboat at Droitwich Spa Marina and - what? Presumably the boat is on the back of a lorry, you won't tow a narrowboat on a launching trailer like a dinghy.

I expect the marina will have a trailer for taking boats out of the water, but the boat is on a lorry - so I guess you need a crane

These slipways are a red herring

Richard