Gardner Centenary Book

Split Pin

Featured Posts

Just appeared on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOOK-GARDNERS-DEISELS-ENGINES-PATRICROFT-ECCLES-LANCASHIRE-1968-/121806802496?

If you are interested in Gardner's history then this is a book which rarely appears, I have only seen 2 other copies in the last 8 years, I won the first one.

I have no connection to the seller.

Steve

Mr. Pin, you are a star! I have the modestly-titled 'Gardner Legendary Engineering Excellence' book but I have never seen this one.

eBid duly placed.

Oddly there was a copy on eBay last month which failed to sell. Perhaps the heading "Gardener" prevented people from finding it.

Edited by Athy

Hope it doesn't get into a ridiculous bidding war. I paid £26.09 including postage back in 2007.

If I remember correctly I was the only bidder, may have been just lucky.

Besides the ebay ones I have only seen a couple of others as personal possessions.

I believe that all the employees at the time were given one, so as time goes on more may surface.

Graham Edges book is a much more comprehensive account of Gardner's history and i was fortunate to purchase a copy when it was first published duly signed and dated by the author.

Steve

Edited by Split Pin

Well I placed a bid (above the £22 starting price) on the copy advertised on eBay. Then I had a look at "Completed listings" and discovered that a copy had been advertised last month but had gone unsold. I have now contacted the seller in question and he's agreed to let me have it for £20 including postage.

Ah, but what to do about the currently-advertised one on which I have bid? I have never withdrawn a bid on eBay before; how do I do it? But help is at hand: someone else has bid £27 on it, which is above my bid, so the problem's solved.

Thanks once again for bringing the book to my attention.

Well I placed a bid (above the £22 starting price) on the copy advertised on eBay. Then I had a look at "Completed listings" and discovered that a copy had been advertised last month but had gone unsold. I have now contacted the seller in question and he's agreed to let me have it for £20 including postage.

Ah, but what to do about the currently-advertised one on which I have bid? I have never withdrawn a bid on eBay before; how do I do it? But help is at hand: someone else has bid £27 on it, which is above my bid, so the problem's solved.

A good example for not mentioning your bidding intentions on a public forum maybe wink.png

Hope the seller sticks to his word given the £51.00 the bidding is now up to from four different people.

Edited by by'eck

A good example for not mentioning your bidding intentions on a public forum maybe wink.png

I am not sure what you mean by this. I stated prices only after I had been outbid, but in any case I can't see how this would affect the eBay bidding.

Off topic but related (eh?): I have just been looking at a Ph. D. thesis about Gardner's on the internet. Written in 2010, it reckons that the last engines left the Patricroft works in the late 1980s, i.e. soon after Hawker Siddeley, who had bought the firm a decade earlier, sold it. If this is the case, where were the allegedly factory-produced engines sold into the boat market between about 1993 and 1999 built?

Interesting,

I have Ebay set up to send me notifications of anything with Gardner or Gardner Engines in its listing but didn't get one for the book that you have secured

Looks like its not always a catch all

Interesting,

I have Ebay set up to send me notifications of anything with Gardner or Gardner Engines in its listing but didn't get one for the book that you have secured

Probably because, as I hinted, it was written as "Gardener", thus the search engine thought that it treated on matters horticultural rather than mechanical.

I am not sure what you mean by this. I stated prices only after I had been outbid, but in any case I can't see how this would affect the eBay bidding.

It wasn't the specific value of the bid I was referring to, just the fact that you announced to all you were bidding.

Your choice obviously but something I would always keep to myself.

I have often pondered on the double edged sword of bringing to light on public forums interesting items on eBay.

It wasn't the specific value of the bid I was referring to, just the fact that you announced to all you were bidding.

Your choice obviously but something I would always keep to myself.

I have often pondered on the double edged sword of bringing to light on public forums interesting items on eBay.

Best not to imo cos if another member is bidding he won't be happy. 'aving said that, I'm sure I've done it.

Off topic but related (eh?): I have just been looking at a Ph. D. thesis about Gardner's on the internet. Written in 2010, it reckons that the last engines left the Patricroft works in the late 1980s, i.e. soon after Hawker Siddeley, who had bought the firm a decade earlier, sold it. If this is the case, where were the allegedly factory-produced engines sold into the boat market between about 1993 and 1999 built?

smiley_offtopic.gif This is my memory of Patricroft works:

2700233503_bdf5c8938e.jpg

bangorplan.jpg

I'm at the Merlot again.

Edited by Ray T

"I have often pondered on the double edged sword of bringing to light on public forums interesting items on eBay"

Its not something that I would usually have done, decided to on this occasion as there are generally only a few dedicated Gardner orientated posters would have been interested.

At least Athy has benefited having found a copy of a book that he was unaware of.

Steve

I have just managed to find and buy a copy of the book for considerably less than the one on ebay and it is a good although short read for people that are interested in Gardners.

Steve, thankyou for letting me know it existed otherwise I would never known to go looking and hence find my copy.

Peter