Webasto Heating 5.5 litres a day....really?

Chagall

Featured Posts

I finally have my Webasto central heating running nearly properly after nearly six years! .. hot rads and warmish water to the calorifier. (end of the run but recently added a dedicated pipe run from webasto to the calorifier)

But...its using approximately 5 and a half litres a day, only on for about 3 hours a day average, since I've nothing to base it on history wise I wondered if 5.5 litres seemed excessive or normal consumption?

Depends how big a unit it is.

Our 2kw air heater, Webasto Airtop 2000, uses between an eighth and a quarter of a litre per hour.

Our friends 3kw one uses about half a litre per hour.

Yes should have added which unit...its the Webasto thermotop C ..full load 5.2kW

I finally have my Webasto central heating running nearly properly after nearly six years! .. hot rads and warmish water to the calorifier. (end of the run but recently added a dedicated pipe run from webasto to the calorifier)

But...its using approximately 5 and a half litres a day, only on for about 3 hours a day average, since I've nothing to base it on history wise I wondered if 5.5 litres seemed excessive or normal consumption?

I have a Mikuni MX40 which is claimed to use 0.58l/hour in high 4.8kW mode or 0.29l/hour in low 2.4kW mode. Yours sounds way OTT unless its a truly massive unit.

Note I have a T junction at hot water output with gate valves in each leg so that a balance between calorifier coil and radiator circuit can be acheived to suit. I have to restrict the feed to calorifier in the winter when heating is required for longer, as water otherwise gets too hot from taps. This also allows unit to run longer before it drops to low power mode. I was told not to mess with the radiator circuit valve which had been set to optimum flow.

From memory I'm pretty sure that the official consumption is 0.6 ltrs/hr on full load when heating the water to 72 deg C. Once there it throttles back and controls the water temp between 72 and 60 deg and uses 0.3 ltrs/hr. when throttled back. If the water temp falls to 56 deg C it throttles up to full load again and so on. This is for the Webasto Thermtop C 5KW. Hope that helps.

5Kw eberspacher uses 0.6 litres per hour.

You are using the best part of 2 litres per hour - summats up !!

Leak in the system ?

5Kw eberspacher uses 0.6 litres per hour.

You are using the best part of 2 litres per hour - summats up !!

Leak in the system ?

Edit - back to weird double posts again !!

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I think these two statements cannot both be true!

How are you measuring your fuel consumption? 5.5 litres from a container is easy to measure accurately however in a boat fuel tank there are lots of variables that could give a large error. As said earlier you've got either a very powerful boiler, a very rich burn (black smoke - easy to spot), a fuel leak (easy to spot), or a measuring error.

Possibly a measuring error...It was brim full on the 3rd November, now today its 3 inches down on the stick I use to measure with. I'm going to see if I can get what Ive measured to be about 30 litres in it tomorrow to be certain.

Its a 205 litre tank and I put 100 litres in in August this year and then as I say filled it brimfull on the 3rd with about 75 litres.

No propulsion, only used for heating which was 'fixed' and working properly on the 2nd November.

Possibly a measuring error...It was brim full on the 3rd November, now today its 3 inches down on the stick I use to measure with.

If you can get to the tank and measure the horizontal dimensions, you can work out the volume of that shape, 3" deep.

If you can get to the tank and measure the horizontal dimensions, you can work out the volume of that shape, 3" deep.

huh.png that sounds like the equivalent of "if it takes one man three hours to fill a bath..." if so then I've no chance, those combinations of words switch my brain off!

Edited by Chagall

Remember that diesel has some thermal expansion /contraction so if you are trying to measure a relatively small amount of diesel in a large tank, you may have quite big errors due to thermal effects. Also if the tanks really is down as much diesel as you think, perhaps it is going somewhere else since as said, unless the Webo. is leaking, it must otherwise be burning it and that would make it really really smoky.