Newbie- Rosie tinted spectacles in the cut!

Leemc

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

As total novices we bought our first boat intending to enjoy a 'year out' travelling the waterways. Great plan.

Almost twenty years later we are on our second boat and can't imagine living in any other way. Until

recently we have worked for five months in the winter, taking a winter mooring to facilitate this.

No car...great. Bus pass is fantastic and a railcard helps.

Best decision made - we bought a little house to let...it's still bringing in a bit of dosh.

First boat was good but, after nine years we knew exactly what we needed and wanted in our next one.

Solar panels are amazing in the summer with the long days, even if it's not particularly sunny.

Winter is more challenging but we manage well - run the engine for a little while morning and early evening. Generators are my pet hate I'm afraid...never used one. We do have plenty of batteries

though. No point having free sunpower if you haven't enough storage capacity.

Our post goes to daughter's house and she filters out the rubbish and either brings the rest when

visiting (if we're not too distant) or sends it poste restante to the nearest post office.

Prescriptions easy now with the new electronic system. Ask your docs for information. Ours are

very helpful with this.

Oh...you will have so much fun. It's the best way of life ever. Perhaps it's as well not everyone

would agree. Most canals are getting rather crowded in recent years.

Good luck, don't think too hard...it will give you a headache...just do it.

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning an early retirement and intend to join you on the canals in just under 3 years time.

Have enjoyed regular holidays on the canals over last 25 years and have been information gathering from many sources for months.

I think we recognise many of the pitfalls or problems that are ahead of us including worrying about our cats on board, security,doctor and visiting family.

But is there one thing any of you experienced live aboarders think we might not have thought about?

Cheers

Lee

Won't be working or have a car and intend to cc:)

You'll be OK, have a great time.

:)

On yeah the bog!

The plan is find the boat we like and when we've handed over the cash open the bathroom door and see what type we've got wink.png

That's quite the best cassette vs pumpout response I've seen on here!

Oops, this was ages ago. Sorry.

Edited by Loafer

As total novices we bought our first boat intending to enjoy a 'year out' travelling the waterways. Great plan.

Almost twenty years later we are on our second boat and can't imagine living in any other way. Until

recently we have worked for five months in the winter, taking a winter mooring to facilitate this.

No car...great. Bus pass is fantastic and a railcard helps.

Best decision made - we bought a little house to let...it's still bringing in a bit of dosh.

First boat was good but, after nine years we knew exactly what we needed and wanted in our next one.

Solar panels are amazing in the summer with the long days, even if it's not particularly sunny.

Winter is more challenging but we manage well - run the engine for a little while morning and early evening. Generators are my pet hate I'm afraid...never used one. We do have plenty of batteries

though. No point having free sunpower if you haven't enough storage capacity.

Our post goes to daughter's house and she filters out the rubbish and either brings the rest when

visiting (if we're not too distant) or sends it poste restante to the nearest post office.

Prescriptions easy now with the new electronic system. Ask your docs for information. Ours are

very helpful with this.

Oh...you will have so much fun. It's the best way of life ever. Perhaps it's as well not everyone

would agree. Most canals are getting rather crowded in recent years.

Good luck, don't think too hard...it will give you a headache...just do it.

smiley_offtopic.gif Hi Dragons did you get my PM.

Harley & Shelley