Usb sockets

Klim 1

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

I think mine are 12/24v units, so far (3+years)  no failures. 

I just wish I could disconnect the led as it's a PITA at night providing illumination when not needed.

Conversely, I find (red for preference and in the right location) them a very useful source of night lighting. I'm not concerned about the minute power usage as I isolate the batteries when the boat is left unattended for any time.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

I just wish I could disconnect the led as it's a PITA at night providing illumination when not needed.

I bought USB sockets with a switch so the led (and presumably the conversion circuitry) is switched off when not in use.

36 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I bought USB sockets with a switch so the led (and presumably the conversion circuitry) is switched off when not in use.

Alternatively, my approach is to tone down the annoying LED with a bit of insulating tape, leaving just a tiny corner exposed. You can still see it is on if you look carefully, but is no longer bathing the cabin in an eerie green, blue, or blinking light. Insulating tape is available in many colours, so coordination with the gadget case is possible to some extent. I don't go that far though. Doesn't help the few milliamps the pointless LED is consuming though.

Jen

46 minutes ago, David Mack said:

All mine are switched but it's not much use switching them off when they are charging stuff overnight 😱

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Now let me see over £300 to replace the perfectly functional USB sockets in the caravan and boat with Blue Sea 4a ones😱

No thanks I'll pass on that 😂

Then stop moaning about the led’s then! I should have known you had deep pockets and short arms when you wouldn’t pay the extra for a victron solar controller! 

34 minutes ago, frangar said:

Then stop moaning about the led’s then! I should have known you had deep pockets and short arms when you wouldn’t pay the extra for a victron solar controller! 

Unlike some I have to be careful with my spending as I only have a state pension as income.

Edited by Loddon
  • Haha 1

On 27/07/2021 at 08:05, Loddon said:

I think mine are 12/24v units, so far (3+years)  no failures. 

Ours are 12/24v and running on 24v nominal system without issue, 2A 5v outlet which I understand is 'Quick Charge 1' or 10w

Wired direct onto the 24v ring main, no fuse or isolator switch, however the ring is on a 6A breaker and we isolate the batteries when on board.

The parasitic load is measurable, and far more than just the LED, so I would fit isolation switches if you were working hard to reduce consumption.

Like Jen-in-Wellies I stick tape over the blue LEDs so the output is hugely reduced to allow people to sleep in the same room!

I have just bought a new one, which claims to be QC 3 (35w) complent, but certainly should be able to do 9v 18w charging which I look fwd to.

The input specs on the side state DC input of 9 to 36v so that should be able to take really anything an alternator throws at it.

Planning to test it on the 6v nominal vintage car over the weekend so we shall see how that goes!

Daniel

On 30/07/2021 at 15:46, DHutch said:

Ours are 12/24v and running on 24v nominal system without issue, 2A 5v outlet which I understand is 'Quick Charge 1' or 10w

Wired direct onto the 24v ring main, no fuse or isolator switch, however the ring is on a 6A breaker and we isolate the batteries when on board.

The parasitic load is measurable, and far more than just the LED, so I would fit isolation switches if you were working hard to reduce consumption.

Like Jen-in-Wellies I stick tape over the blue LEDs so the output is hugely reduced to allow people to sleep in the same room!

I have just bought a new one, which claims to be QC 3 (35w) complent, but certainly should be able to do 9v 18w charging which I look fwd to.

The input specs on the side state DC input of 9 to 36v so that should be able to take really anything an alternator throws at it.

Planning to test it on the 6v nominal vintage car over the weekend so we shall see how that goes!

Daniel

Can’t see it doing any smart charging, interesting to see if it works at all