Usb sockets

Klim 1

Featured Posts

These are good too! you can just plug them into the 12v sockets when and where you need them without any mods, they also support 1A and 2A output

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Twin-Dual-2-Port-USB-3-1A-12V-Car-Auto-Socket-Lighter-Charger-Adapter-/141728947281?hash=item20ffb41c51:g:HDoAAOSwgQ9Vte2H

Stuff like that blows me away, £1.09 including shipping from China. How does that work then?

I have no idea how they can knock them out so cheap but they do the job :)

I can see they can make them cheap, but it's the shipping that gets me. It is still our postman that delivers it, and our sorting office that sorts it, so what do they get for doing that, given you probaby could not post that in the UK for that price.

I am planning to fit several to our boat in spring, they will need to be 24vdc input but they are available too.

I will be installing and do switch alongside each, if only so they can be isolated should the fail, as the majority of the boat lower voltage sockets are on a single 24v circuit and I be making use of this to save new wires.

Daniel

I can see they can make them cheap, but it's the shipping that gets me. It is still our postman that delivers it, and our sorting office that sorts it, so what do they get for doing that, given you probaby could not post that in the UK for that price.

And once all their competitors have gone to the wall...?

There is a reciprocal delivery agreement, so they only pay for the shipping to the uk, base yourself at a suitable port and send things over by the container and its buttons, less than the cost of a uk company posting it internally.

Daniel

There is a reciprocal delivery agreement, so they only pay for the shipping to the uk, base yourself at a suitable port and send things over by the container and its buttons, less than the cost of a uk company posting it internally.

Daniel

I have just had a ebay purchase from China arrive £2 including postage, it took perhaps 2 weeks, that is coming by air not in a container. Can you really post something the size of a usb adapter internally in the UK for £1 anyway given the cost of a second class letter, which is a max 5mm thick I think so it cannot go letter.

This stuff is great for the consumer like me but you can not help feeling something does not add up.

Yes, I also have purchased quite a few very low value electronic components from China which must have been posted individually rather than by the container, and the total cost was less than internal uk postage cost.

I have a horrible feeling that some unfortunate postal deal is resulting in British companies subsidising their Chinese competitors.

Another possibility is that the Chinese state is subsidising the Chinese companies to work at a loss (it likely has some share of the ownership of some of them) to help them build up long term international business.

..............Dave

I have just had a ebay purchase from China arrive £2 including postage, it took perhaps 2 weeks, that is coming by air not in a container.

Airplanes have containers too... But yes, if you price it in bulk its surprisingly cheap to air freight stuff, around £2/kg.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_load_device

I have a horrible feeling that some unfortunate postal deal is resulting in British companies subsidising their Chinese competitors.

Another possibility is that the Chinese state is subsidising the Chinese companies to work at a loss (it likely has some share of the ownership of some of them) to help them build up long term international business.

As I say, while its not widely published I have it reasonable authority that there is indeed a reciprocal agreement on the postage if items internationally, up to 2kg, where by if we send something we get the postage as the destination country free gratis and in return if they send to us we foot the bill once it arrives in the country. I understand this also explains why there is a huge price jump in sending things to Europe if you go over 2kg.

Daniel

Just tried to get some prices off the www and it appears that it is indeed much much cheaper to send a parcel from Chna to the UK than to send an equivalent parcel from somewhere in the UK to somewhere else in the UK.

Its all a bit complicated and involves exchange rates etc but it looks to me like £1.50 to £2 is the cost of China to UK postage for a small parcel.

...............Dave

• 5 years later...

good chance to resurrect an old thread!

As i've now given up trying to find a round 3-pin plug that fits the 12v socket at the foot of the bed where a TV once sat when the boat was built (the adapter from Midland Chandlers that does 3-pin to lighter socket's plug is too small, the only one i could find which was regular 3-pin plug size was a 15A plug and its round pins are too fat), i figured i'd knock up a blanking plate to replace it with bits i had in the workshop, one of the above mentioned twin USB sockets and a switch to turn off the LEDs in it.

My question is, do i need to fit an inline fuse as well, or will it be ok without?

pic shows socket, switch, blanking plate, blanking plate with cut guide (half done)

IMG_9405.JPG

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

good chance to resurrect an old thread!

As i've now given up trying to find a round 3-pin plug that fits the 12v socket at the foot of the bed where a TV once sat when the boat was built (the adapter from Midland Chandlers that does 3-pin to lighter socket's plug is too small, the only one i could find which was regular 3-pin plug size was a 15A plug and its round pins are too fat)

Really?

5A round pin plugs have thinner pins than the 15A version, and are readily available at Screwfix and elsewhere.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/5a-unfused-round-pin-plug-white/22877

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

5A round pin plugs have thinner pins than the 15A version, and are readily available at Screwfix and elsewhere.

There are also 2 amp plugs available with smaller round pins set closer together.

Edited by philjw
change 3 to 2

17 hours ago, David Mack said:

Really?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/5a-unfused-round-pin-plug-white/22877

Yes really.

All the 5A ones I've found online that actually give pin distance measurements are the same as the 2A in the pic, the socket needs the pins to be the same distance as the 15A in the pic but with the pins the same girth as the 2A.

This is why I thought I'd use what I had knocking about rather than waste money on more plugs. As what i'm after in the end is USB sockets anyway this seemed a good solution?

IMG_9408.JPG

Usb sockets are the way forward for the enlightened, after all how many things need a 12v connection most are just USB.

The only thing that I have that needs 12v is the router and that is hardwired 😎

Yes you do incase the integral electronics (12 to 5 v power converter) fails or the whole thing is overloaded. I would fit a 4 amp automotive blade fuse in an inline holder before the switch.

Check all  the spade sizes as mine all came with less than standard size. 

• Greenie 1

On 20/07/2021 at 12:14, Loddon said:

Usb sockets are the way forward for the enlightened,

I have now had 2 fail in service. As it's been the closest to the DC distribution board and the one up forward has been fine, I suspect they're 12v and not able to withstand the 14+v during charging. I'll be replacing them with 12/24v units, hopefully improving tolerance and life expectancy.

Fit the Blue Sea USB sockets! The newer 4A rated ones don’t have an LED and have a very low parasitic draw as a bonus…not cheap but properly designed unlike cheap Chinese ones. They do them to fit either a cigar lighter hole or a carling switch aperture. 

I know some will squeak at the cost but you will only fit them once. 

When using cheaper nominal 12V equipment that doesn't have surge protection I'll fit a metal oxide varistor like this across the 12 to 14V input. Any voltage spike more than 18V will be dumped through the device, clamping the voltage that the gadget experiences. Has worked OK so far with various 5V Arduino based projects that are driven by cheap 5V converter circuits similar to what you'd see in a USB socket. Proper automotive, or marine equipment like the ones @frangar recommends will have suitable protection built in.

Jen

• Greenie 1