Usb sockets

Klim 1

Featured Posts

Maybe of intrest to anyone wishing to fit usb sockets to charge phones,tablets etc. from their 12v circuit and cut down on all the connections and adaptors.

There are usb sockets which can be supplied direct from 12v available from amazon (other suppliers can be found). There are a couple of different designs and fittings,ive just got theses ones and about to fit beside my 12v 3pin sockets as a supply sourcepost-20872-0-67793600-1446981042.jpgpost-20872-0-05848700-1446981085_thumb.jpg

Since my ipad went to ios 9.1 I've found it will charge from a computer USB; before it would put up a message saying not charging. Presumably Apple have removed the minimum current requirement. It does charge slower, but still charges.

Since my ipad went to ios 9.1 I've found it will charge from a computer USB; before it would put up a message saying not charging. Presumably Apple have removed the minimum current requirement. It does charge slower, but still charges.

Similar problems with my iphone5, will charge from some usb's and not others.

One question I have about these is do they take any current when there in nothing plugged in?

I fitted some and tried to measure the quiescent current. The ones I fitted had a (quite bright) LED. It was below measurable limit on my ammeter (Victron BMV-702).

I fitted some and tried to measure the quiescent current. The ones I fitted had a (quite bright) LED. It was below measurable limit on my ammeter (Victron BMV-702).

If any doubt, perhaps worth mounting them in a blank plate with a switch alongside? That said if the current can't be measured, there is probably little to worry about. We use small LEDs if the mooring pins are in a dangerous place at night, and they run for several nights off a smoke alarm type battery (pp9?)

When i have them fitted i could tell you what current they draw in quiescent state,but as it will only be an led indicator I think you can ignore any drain.I think a bigger issue may be a constant light anoying, I intend to fit a neat isolator if this proves to be the case.

The more flexible alternative is to just insert a little USB adaptor into a standard 12v socket, somat like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Black-USB-12v-5V-1Amp-to-12-Volt-Car-Charger-iPhone-Samsung-HTC-Blackberry-/281826810608?hash=item419e2fdaf0:g:n4IAAOxyThVTb29Z

You can also get double and high current versions, and some will even work proper with apple ipads and stuff.

Not 100% sure how all this Apple (and possibly Samsung) stuff works.but I think the chargers (and Macs) hold a USB data line at some fixed voltage so the ipad/iphone can recognise when its plugged into an Apple charging device.

............Dave

The more flexible alternative is to just insert a little USB adaptor into a standard 12v socket, somat like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Black-USB-12v-5V-1Amp-to-12-Volt-Car-Charger-iPhone-Samsung-HTC-Blackberry-/281826810608?hash=item419e2fdaf0:g:n4IAAOxyThVTb29Z

That looks awfully like one I have that is useless, because the body is so thin, and the design of the springs such that it part ejects from the socket, and loses connection on the main pin.

I have not been able to make it stay put in either car or any socket on the boat.

Should have sent it back!

Maybe of intrest to anyone wishing to fit usb sockets to charge phones,tablets etc. from their 12v circuit and cut down on all the connections and adaptors.

There are usb sockets which can be supplied direct from 12v available from amazon (other suppliers can be found). There are a couple of different designs and fittings,ive just got theses ones and about to fit beside my 12v 3pin sockets as a supply sourceattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Just a word of warning for those that don't know - I notice that shows 5v at 1A and 5v at 21A(??!!)

Ensure that these are connected to wiring that will take the power.

Don't connect to a lighting loom and expect to be able to put a 12v mini inverter to charge your laptop without it ending in trouble.

Just a word of warning for those that don't know - I notice that shows 5v at 1A and 5v at 21A(??!!)

Don't connect to a lighting loom and expect to be able to put a 12v mini inverter to charge your laptop without it ending in trouble.

I think that should be 2.1A which from memory is the rating iPads look for when charging

also bear in mind that's the current at 5v (3.1A total according to what we can see, 2.1A + 1A)

3.1A X 5V = 15.5W

15.5W / 12V = 1.29A max load

Edited by Jess--

I reckon it means 2.1 amps, don't think you would get 21 amps thru those little pins inside a USB plug.

..............Dave

That looks awfully like one I have that is useless, because the body is so thin, and the design of the springs such that it part ejects from the socket, and loses connection on the main pin.

I have not been able to make it stay put in either car or any socket on the boat.

Should have sent it back!

Yes, I just picked one at random from eBay to illustrate what I was talking about.

We started with an eBay cheapo and it didn't last very long or work too well.

Have since found some much better higher current Apple compatible devices that have worked hard and well for the last year.

Rather more expensive too!

Think they were branded as "Scosche" and cost about £12, two outputs at 2.4 amps.

.................Dave

No it's 2.1A in reality. Which is about 0.9A at 12v.

Edit: too slow!

Anyway, I've recently installed a couple as per the OP, seem to work quite well and no problems charging an iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad air2 or iPhone 5.

Quiescent current is just a few mA and would be less were it not for the rather bright blue LED. Tip: be sure to fit the rubber cover even if fitted in the interior, so that you can insert it to blot out the blue light!

Edited by nicknorman

We have a few of these fitted around the boat. We fitted them last year.

The current they draw doesn't even register on the ammeter.

We do need to remember to refit the covers though as the Led lights create quite a glow at night!

One of the better upgrades we have carried out on Naughty-Cal.

You can also get double and high current versions, and some will even work proper with apple ipads and stuff.

Not 100% sure how all this Apple (and possibly Samsung) stuff works.but I think the chargers (and Macs) hold a USB data line at some fixed voltage so the ipad/iphone can recognise when its plugged into an Apple charging device.

............Dave

We had a series of those converters and they were all pants which is why we swapped all of our sockets to usb.

We have one socket in the cabin which is a twin socket. One usb and one 12v cigarette type fitting.

Since we generally leave the inverter on 24/7 when on the boat, I also swapped out a twin gang main socket for one with a couple of USB Sockets as well. This particular socket was just by the dinette table and spend most of its life with Apple chargers plugged in, so now we can still charge the devices but have sockets available for something else.

Not sure if this is true or not but the plug in high power 2.1 ones that I have have 2 sockets one for Apple devices and one genetic, so do Apple devices charge at the high rate on generic USB sockets?

Edited by john6767

Since we generally leave the inverter on 24/7 when on the boat, I also swapped out a twin gang main socket for one with a couple of USB Sockets as well. This particular socket was just by the dinette table and spend most of its life with Apple chargers plugged in, so now we can still charge the devices but have sockets available for something else.

Something I should get round to doing

That's my experience too, also with blue leds permanently glowing. I also bought some switches to be able to isolate them, but the draw is so small that my BM shows zero discharge so I haven't bothered fitting them. Months later and all is well.

These are good too! you can just plug them into the 12v sockets when and where you need them without any mods, they also support 1A and 2A output

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Twin-Dual-2-Port-USB-3-1A-12V-Car-Auto-Socket-Lighter-Charger-Adapter-/141728947281?hash=item20ffb41c51:g:HDoAAOSwgQ9Vte2H