fridge consumption

Pennie

Featured Posts

Just an idea = Put a couple of ice packs on the roof every night to get nice and cold and pop them in the cool box during the day. Obviously works best if it's frosty :-)

I like that. Sort of like one of those "solar showers" in reverse - the black bags you fill with water and leave out in the sun to warm up.

Many fridges do not operate with a thermostat. The temperature control is just a timer thing - turn it up and it runs for more of the time. So if installed somehere that is 15 degrees below what it is designed for, it will possibly get too cold (i.e. freeze the contents).

Certainly not on our Shoreline fridge/freezer. The replacement I bought is identical to the mechanical thermostats we used when installing vehicle air conditioning systems, other than the calibration of course.

Edited by pearley

Certainly not on our Shoreline fridge/freezer. The replacement I bought is identical to the mechanical thermostats we used when installing vehicle air conditioning systems, other than the calibration of course.

Fridge Freezersd are different. This is why when they are installed in a garage etc., the freezer doesn't get down to temperature because the 'stat is in the fridge part. They are designed to run in a normally heated house.

More expensive ones may have an override stat in the freezer, deeming it better to keep the freezer at the right temperature and risk freezing some of the fridge contents rather than let the freezer get too warm. Many people have tried to claim their fridge freezer is faulty when in fact it has not been installed as stated by the manufacturer.

Fridge Freezersd are different. This is why when they are installed in a garage etc., the freezer doesn't get down to temperature because the 'stat is in the fridge part. They are designed to run in a normally heated house.

More expensive ones may have an override stat in the freezer, deeming it better to keep the freezer at the right temperature and risk freezing some of the fridge contents rather than let the freezer get too warm. Many people have tried to claim their fridge freezer is faulty when in fact it has not been installed as stated by the manufacturer.

Indeed. Some manufacturers specify that their freezers can be used in a garage or outhouse. I have a Beko, that specifically states it can be used in an unheated garage.

Turn it off. I have lived aboard in France for many years and a fridge isnt neccessary. Buy fresh food every day. Keep perishables cool in the bilge.

And what about your beer? Warm beer? sick.gif

It never fails to make me smile the lengths that some of you narrowboatists go too. And you claim that us cruiser owners are slumming it or camping laugh.png

I'm looking forward to a nice cold beer from NC's cold fridge tomorrow eveningcheers.gif

Turning fridges off, whatever next?

It never fails to make me smile the lengths that some of you narrowboatists go too. And you claim that us cruiser owners are slumming it or camping laugh.png

I'm looking forward to a nice cold beer from NC's cold fridge tomorrow eveningcheers.gif

The correct temperature to drink beer is 12 degrees C.

L*ger, on the other hand, needs to be drunk cold as it's an inadequate substitute for the Real Thing, only to be consumed by people who are desperate for alcohol or scared of tasting something.

wp-taste.jpg

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

And who has knackered batteries

The correct temperature to drink beer is 12 degrees C.

L*ger, on the other hand, needs to be drunk cold as it's an inadequate substitute for the Real Thing, only to be consumed by people who are desperate for alcohol or scared of tasting something.

wp-taste.jpg

I used to have a T-shirt with that image on it :) (wonders what happened to it)

What diameter is the cabling to your fridge. Ours was so thin it looked like speaker wire- since the OH rewired it with 10mm cable the fridge has lasted much longer.

not sure but I'm planning on rewiring it this winter because it doesn't have an isolation. I was planning on just turning it off for the winter as people have suggested but then realised the only way to turn it off is to unwire it as there isn't a plug or isolate all the 12v at the batteries which is just silly

not sure but I'm planning on rewiring it this winter because it doesn't have an isolation. I was planning on just turning it off for the winter as people have suggested but then realised the only way to turn it off is to unwire it as there isn't a plug or isolate all the 12v at the batteries which is just silly

There not one of these somewhere...

6534_400_300.jpg

If not, worth putting one in... switches with circuit breakers (better than fuses) - I'd be surprised if everything was wired direct to the batteries, as I don't think it would have passed a BSS without something like the above.

There not one of these somewhere...

6534_400_300.jpg

If not, worth putting one in... switches with circuit breakers (better than fuses) - I'd be surprised if everything was wired direct to the batteries, as I don't think it would have passed a BSS without something like the above.

They are not recommended for the supply to a low voltage refrigerator . Fuses are considered to be better.

They are not recommended for the supply to a low voltage refrigerator . Fuses are considered to be better.

Ta for the info.. Can I ask why? (As my fridge, and everything else on the boat is switched through a similar panel). I could add an in-line fuse to the fridge if its sensible (pulls approx 4.5A when cooling).

I hesitate to say this (so many replies start with 'it's never happened to me')

However, I suspect it may be due to the much higher-than-running current draw that happens when the compressor starts. I put a 15 amp circuit breaker in my panel and (it's never given me any problems).

OTOH I do have a 300W pure sine wave inverter and that regularly tripped its breaker at startup.

Remember the circuit protection is to protect the wiring - not the appliance.

I've no idea whether that's the correct answer.

Ta for the info.. Can I ask why? (As my fridge, and everything else on the boat is switched through a similar panel). I could add an in-line fuse to the fridge if its sensible (pulls approx 4.5A when cooling).

I think it is to minimise volt drop on start up