BCNS burger van fund - can you help replace this vital asset stolen recently?

Odana

Featured Posts

As we have been discussing in the other thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=80315 the BCNS burger van went missing last weekend. Thanks for spreading the word and for advice on how to set up a crowdfunder.

Dave Dent (BCNS treasurer) and I, have done our homework and set up a page.

If you are able to contribute to the purchase and fettling of a replacement van, please click here! Please share the link far and wide .....

On Fri 31st October the catering van of the Birmingham Canal Navigations Society (BCNS) was stolen overnight. This is one of the main fund-raising assets for the Society - it went just before the Smethwick community Bonfire Night event where it was due to earn much-needed funds to help the work of the Society support the use and preservation of local canal network.
Can you chip in to help purchase a suitable replacement van? The cost is likely to be about £2500-3000 plus any refurbishment/adaptation costs and equipment. Any surplus raised will go towards BCNS funds for putting on community events like the annual fireworks display.
While the van was insured, these processes take a long time, have excesses if the insurance does pay out, and there will be fettling work to do and equipment to buy for any replacement second hand van we get. Plus, all the time we don't have a van, we can't earn money from it! We realise there's a faint chance the police might recover the van, but we're told it is unlikely and very unlikely to be undamaged. If a miracle does happen we will let people know so you can cancel your donation if you want (an easy process if done before the end of the campaign).
If you want to know more about the work of the BCNS, know of a burger van for sale, (or have seen our one up for sale - grrr) or simply if you want to know where you can get superb grub at great canal events around Birmingham and the Black Country, then see the BCNS web page or facebook page
"The Birmingham Canal Navigations Society (BCNS) aims to conserve, improve and encourage a wide range of interests in the 100 mile network of the Birmingham and Black Country Waterways known as the BCN. It was formed in 1968 and has been promoting the areas canal system for forty seven years. In the early days it fought campaigns against the closure of many canals, but now the emphasis is on restoration and promoting awareness."
Edited by Odana

As we have been discussing in the other thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=80315 the BCNS burger van went missing last weekend. Thanks for spreading the word and for advice on how to set up a crowdfunder.

Dave Dent (BCNS treasurer) and I, have done our homework and set up a page.

If you are able to contribute to the purchase and fettling of a replacement van, please click here! Please share the link far and wide .....

On Fri 31st October the catering van of the Birmingham Canal Navigations Society (BCNS) was stolen overnight. This is one of the main fund-raising assets for the Society - it went just before the Smethwick community Bonfire Night event where it was due to earn much-needed funds to help the work of the Society support the use and preservation of local canal network.
Can you chip in to help purchase a suitable replacement van? The cost is likely to be about £2500-3000 plus any refurbishment/adaptation costs and equipment. Any surplus raised will go towards BCNS funds for putting on community events like the annual fireworks display. All the time we don't have a van, we can't earn money from it!
We realise there's a faint chance the police might recover the van, but we're told it is unlikely and very unlikely to be undamaged. If a miracle does happen we will let people know so you can cancel your donation if you want (an easy process if done before the end of the campaign).
If you want to know more about the work of the BCNS, know of a burger van for sale, (or have seen our one up for sale - grrr) or simply if you want to know where you can get superb grub at great canal events around Birmingham and the Black Country, then see the BCNS web page or facebook page
"The Birmingham Canal Navigations Society (BCNS) aims to conserve, improve and encourage a wide range of interests in the 100 mile network of the Birmingham and Black Country Waterways known as the BCN. It was formed in 1968 and has been promoting the areas canal system for forty seven years. In the early days it fought campaigns against the closure of many canals, but now the emphasis is on restoration and promoting awareness."

Well I have sent it on its way on Facebook

Sorry Odana but I'm with Laurie on this one. Whilst the theft is very annoying and a loss to a society who does a lot of good works, the van should have been insured and personally I would be reluctant to donate to replace it if it's going to remain uninsured and thus at risk of being lost again. Can you comment on BCNS's policy on insuring its assets?

OK, I replied in PM to Laurie but it's a reasonable question. The van WAS insured, but it is believed the chances of that covering all costs are slim due to usual insurance company shenanigans and excuses about circumstances, plus excesses. Setting up takes best part of an hour and it was fully set up to serve in a yard, so it was deemed more than adequately secured by the organisers. But the thieves made away with it anyway and this is insurance we are talking about ..... It will likely take months for the insurance co to decide a claim (they are still 'in discussion' something from back in the summer, I hear). Dave (treasurer) discussed waiting till they had sorted insurance, but by then people will have forgotten all about the incident. I was in favour of putting this up now, to kickstart the replacement funding. It won't cover it all, but it will help.

The van was fully set up to serve when it went and so full of all stock and personally donated small stuff like teatowels, equipment etc too - I guess that was not insured. And all the time there is no van, there is no income from said van. Plus any van that is replaced (second hand) will likely need modification to the Society's needs - more costs. Insurance NEVER covers all the costs of a theft, however comprehensive it is....

I put on the page that if the van is recovered, it'll be announced and refunds made. Would people feel better if there was a para to also explain insurance issue? Obviously insurance co will see all public discussion so I think the BCNS would rather avoid idle speculation that might affect a claim based on the known facts. If you don't feel comfortable donating based on the above, then that's fine.

Edited to add - Richard is right, I am not on the committee of the BCNS or involved in insuring, running events or anything. I just discussed the idea of launching a fund on here and did the legwork to set it up, with Dave, treasurer of the BCNS being the person the money goes through as I was uncomfortable with that. Anything I know about circumstances or insurance is purely secondhand.

Edited by Odana

OK, I replied in PM to Laurie but it's a reasonable question. The van WAS insured, but it is believed the chances of that covering all costs are slim due to usual insurance company shenanigans and excuses about circumstances, plus excesses. Setting up takes best part of an hour and it was fully set up to serve in a yard, so it was deemed more than adequately secured by the organisers. But the thieves made away with it anyway and this is insurance we are talking about ..... It will likely take months for the insurance co to decide a claim (they are still 'in discussion' something from back in the summer, I hear). Dave (treasurer) discussed waiting till they had sorted insurance, but by then people will have forgotten all about the incident. I was in favour of putting this up now, to kickstart the replacement funding. It won't cover it all, but it will help.

The van was fully set up to serve when it went and so full of all stock and personally donated small stuff like teatowels, equipment etc too - I guess that was not insured. And all the time there is no van, there is no income from said van. Plus any van that is replaced (second hand) will likely need modification to the Society's needs - more costs. Insurance NEVER covers all the costs of a theft, however comprehensive it is....

I put on the page that if the van is recovered, it'll be announced and refunds made. Would people feel better if there was a para to also explain insurance issue? Obviously insurance co will see all public discussion so I think the BCNS would rather avoid idle speculation that might affect a claim based on the known facts. If you don't feel comfortable donating based on the above, then that's fine.

Edited to add - Richard is right, I am not on the committee of the BCNS or involved in insuring, running events or anything. I just discussed the idea of launching a fund on here and did the legwork to set it up, with Dave, treasurer of the BCNS being the person the money goes through as I was uncomfortable with that. Anything I know about circumstances or insurance is purely secondhand.

I shared it on Facebook because Dave's name was there. as treasurer I felt if he was happy with it I was as well.

Thanks for that. Yes I think it is a good idea to explain that the fundraising is to cover the inevitable shortfall between the insurance payout - if there is one - and the full cost of reinstating the status quo. I'm sure Laurie and I would not be the only ones puzzled by the lack of mention of insurance.

As to the claim itself, we are not privy to the terms of the policy so it would be completely pointless to speculate on what should happen.

Thanks for that. Yes I think it is a good idea to explain that the fundraising is to cover the inevitable shortfall between the insurance payout - if there is one - and the full cost of reinstating the status quo. I'm sure Laurie and I would not be the only ones puzzled by the lack of mention of insurance.

As to the claim itself, we are not privy to the terms of the policy so it would be completely pointless to speculate on what should happen.

Done.

HI guys!! I am the BCNS Treasurer and discussed this fund raising with the originator an the basis that although we are Insured, there is always a get out clause and we will probably not get full replacement value anyway. We did not want to delay posting the incident whilst we await clarification of our Insurance position.

We hold only two major fund raising events a year and the loss of Income and the actual trailer won't be fatal for the society but like all organisations more funds are always welcome. If we can cover the replacement with Insurance and Donations, then any surplus will be used to support our ongoing activities and ensure we maintain reserves for later replacement of other assets. If anyone feels their donation is not being used properly I will be happy to refund.

If you don't want to donate at least join the Society.

• 2 weeks later...