Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
system 4-50

Flying Abroad

Featured Posts

All passengers (& crew) holidaying in sensitive area should board their planes in the all-together and without baggage (except for a working Iphone of course).

All passengers (& crew) holidaying in sensitive area should board their planes in the all-together and without baggage (except for a working Iphone of course).

It is getting that way.!

Something though has gone badly wrong if a bomb actually has been smuggled aboard the Russian flight out of Sharm El Sheikh

Well the current system is a strange one. Go through any airport security area you'll see dozens of abandoned water bottles. Potential bombs apparently. The canny terrorist of course can avoid all this security of course, simply by putting his or her 'water bomb' in his her her checked in baggage.

A few people I know are now stuck in Sharm El Shaike because the UK has cancelled flights back to the UK until they've reviewed the situation....

A few people I know are now stuck in Sharm El Shaike because the UK has cancelled flights back to the UK until they've reviewed the situation....

Could be worse - they could have been stuck in Rochdale or Wigan.

Very simple, these days the bomb can be in checked in luggage and triggered by a mobile phone. The caller doesn't need to be on board. Since they can now build a working gun completely out of plastic - undetectable - a liquid bomb in a suitcase will only be defeated by not allowing any liquids at all, anywhere, in hand or checked luggage. Good news for on-board sales!

Very simple, these days the bomb can be in checked in luggage and triggered by a mobile phone. The caller doesn't need to be on board.

Is this really true?

"Excuse me a moment, I must go and fire off a message".

It is hard to believe.

Is this really true?

"Excuse me a moment, I must go and fire off a message".

It is hard to believe.

Even if it isn't true the current procedure of frisking everyone for water, costing millions, wasting millions of hours of people's time,counts for jot. If a terrorist were prepared to smuggle a bomb on board he knows he's going to die, if it goes off. So why bother, simply stick the bomb with a timer on it in your hold baggage.

Even if it isn't true the current procedure of frisking everyone for water, costing millions, wasting millions of hours of people's time,counts for jot. If a terrorist were prepared to smuggle a bomb on board he knows he's going to die, if it goes off. So why bother, simply stick the bomb with a timer on it in your hold baggage.

The fact that this does not happen more frequently suggests, to me anyway, that it is not quite that simple.

George ex nb Alton retired

The fact that this does not happen more frequently suggests, to me anyway, that it is not quite that simple.

+1 There will be enough people in the world, (terrorists, or lone nutters), with the capabilities to make the bomb, and the desire to blow up a plane, to mean that attempts would be often, and events regular.

It happens rarely, which suggests that attempts are infrequent, and mostly foiled, or attempts are as rare as the events.

So why bother, simply stick the bomb with a timer on it in your hold baggage.

At Antalya airport all the hold luggage was x-rayed before check-in.

In India I've had to pass suitcases through an xray before check in and in China I was called back after check in to check my case- I'd left a cigarette lighter in it which was promptly confiscated- I don't know if every airport xrays checked in luggage

In India I've had to pass suitcases through an xray before check in and in China I was called back after check in to check my case- I'd left a cigarette lighter in it which was promptly confiscated- I don't know if every airport xrays checked in luggage

My understand post Lockerbie is that they are supposed to.

It would seem an extraordinary weakness in airline security if not.

At Antalya airport all the hold luggage was x-rayed before check-in.

Many airports x ray checked in baggage. However, as far as I know, they aren't routinely confiscating bottles of water, tubes of toothpaste, bottles of after shave etc., in case they are bombs.

Many airports x ray checked in baggage. However, as far as I know, they aren't routinely confiscating bottles of water, tubes of toothpaste, bottles of after shave etc., in case they are bombs.

This is probably one of those cases where we know what we know, we know some of what we dont know, but we dont know some of what we dont know.

Airlines and airports and security services will be doing some things that the ordinary Joe doesnt even know exists.

But they need some sort of ignition device which is much harder to conceal.

This is probably one of those cases where we know what we know, we know some of what we dont know, but we dont know some of what we dont know.

Airlines and airports and security services will be doing some things that the ordinary Joe doesnt even know exists.

That's absolutely as clear as mud.

U.S.A will open hold luggage and leave a note for you if they are suspicious. The locks on cases have to be of a type, that with a tool, they can open.

Well the current system is a strange one. Go through any airport security area you'll see dozens of abandoned water bottles. Potential bombs apparently. The canny terrorist of course can avoid all this security of course, simply by putting his or her 'water bomb' in his her her checked in baggage.

I think you will find that these 'water' bombs were actually peroxide bombs and the reason that they stopped people carrying fluids on board was because the peroxide bomb would need to be 'processed' on the flight, probably by the terrorist taking it into the toilet to create his explosive out of peroxide and other ingredients. Putting his peroxide in his checked in baggage would achieve nothing unless he/she can find a means of getting into the hold during the flightunsure.png .

Very simple, these days the bomb can be in checked in luggage and triggered by a mobile phone. The caller doesn't need to be on board. Since they can now build a working gun completely out of plastic - undetectable - a liquid bomb in a suitcase will only be defeated by not allowing any liquids at all, anywhere, in hand or checked luggage. Good news for on-board sales!

As another poster has pointed out the bomb will need a detonator and some form of activating device which is what they are looking for on the x-ray checks, you can't really see TNT or any other explosive on an x-ray scanner and identify it as such. There should always be someone on board who is identifiable to their luggage, I have been on a couple of flights where someone has missed the gate time and the flight is delayed whilst they find and take their luggage off. This http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3272469/Air-France-A380-declares-emergency-45-minutes-flight-cabin-crew-realise-two-passengers-MISSING.html is what happens if they find luggage aboard and no passenger to link it to.(Sorry it's from the Daily Mail blush.png )

Just out of curiosity, has anyone confirmed that it WAS a bomb yet??

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond