Interesting film about Gas Street Basin

Featured Posts

I have the same message, probably because my employers servers are in New Joisey, so I appear to be American.

We have the same issue in offices (in the UK) as the internal network exits to the world in Boston Mass, which is silly really IT could do it differently as the network is virtual these days, it no longer leased lines and all that old stuff.... Anyway I am at home now on a VPN, but I have internet traffic not go via the VPN so I can see it OK.

The only time you would get that it on a home connection is with an internet provider who's IP address are not being listed as in the UK.

In overall terms I think what the film talked about has happened, but I think those interviewed would be rather shocked to see it today, although probably the Old Turn area more so than Gas Street.

Edited by john6767

Have a look here ....

Thankfully, the model that was created to show what Gas Street would look like in the early 1970s never came to fruition.

Cheers

S23.

Excellent, both from a canal history point of view, but also a social history angle.

Presenter and those interviewed had ties on, diction perfect and no third parties mucking about behind the interviewee.

Interviewer had a nice sheepskin coat on and did not appear as a walking advert for 'North Face' clothing....

Late 60's early 70's a great time to work.

L.

Have a look here ....

Thankfully, the model that was created to show what Gas Street would look like in the early 1970s never came to fruition.

Cheers

S23.

I guess there are some that argue what was actually done (or not done) was not hugely better than what was shown there, though.

The area was still changed immensely, (who would possibly have imagined the loss of the church spire from the top of the "tunnel"), and much os what was done in the areawas not a huge long-term success, or there would not massive a massive pub that formed part of the development lying out of use, (I'm assuming it still is?).

Don't get me wrong - I loved the area then, and I love it now, but whilst canal-side is mostly regenerated in a reasonable way between Worcester Bar and Old Turn, there are still a significant number of out of use buildings now, doing nothing to improve the area.

I guess there are some that argue what was actually done (or not done) was not hugely better than what was shown there, though.

The area was still changed immensely, (who would possibly have imagined the loss of the church spire from the top of the "tunnel"), and much os what was done in the areawas not a huge long-term success, or there would not massive a massive pub that formed part of the development lying out of use, (I'm assuming it still is?).

Don't get me wrong - I loved the area then, and I love it now, but whilst canal-side is mostly regenerated in a reasonable way between Worcester Bar and Old Turn, there are still a significant number of out of use buildings now, doing nothing to improve the area.

I am with Alan on this one, I think that the developments around Gas Street Basin are appalling, at least if the 1970's scheme had been built it would be up for demolition now!

Tim

Nice to see Peter White, who was the first architect/planner really to promote the benefits of canal restoration and retention.

If I recall correctly Peter lived in gas street basin.

Tim

Done that, says it's Orange Mobile based in Leeds.

There you go Leeds, not in the Midlands, we don't want northerners watching our films.

Seriously, it can only be that the database that bfi are using does not have EE IP addresses in it I guess. Only thing you could do is to try going through a proxy server.

There you go Leeds, not in the Midlands, we don't want northerners watching our films.

Seriously, it can only be that the database that bfi are using does not have EE IP addresses in it I guess. Only thing you could do is to try going through a proxy server.

But I'm in the Midlands! Moored at Windmill End.

Proxy server? Lost now.

But I'm in the Midlands! Moored at Windmill End.

Proxy server? Lost now.

The Midlands thing was a joke! Leeds is presumably an EE office where their IP addresses are registered to, so that is where you will appear to be (or should do) to systems that determine your location by IP address. If BBC iPlayer (for example) works ok for you then in is more down to the system that bfi are using to determine location.

If you want to know what a proxy server is , Google is your friend.

I first found Gas Street Basin in about 1973, and it still looked very much like it did in 67.

I recall it was about 1974-5 when the warehouses on the offside were demolished, along with the church over the tunnel. But apart from those, the basin continued pretty unchanged until the Brindley Place development happened quite some time later.

I think Collingwood and Ash, seen in the film, are still moored there nearly 40 years on!

Peter White and his wife Paula lived aboard Calstock in Gas St basin in the late 60s, I think he worked for Birmingham Corporation before moving to BW. I was around there at the time, they took pity on me and let me use the back cabin at times, as well as acting as steere when they had company....I recall a good few trips to King's Norton. A few years ago we met again at Stratford, when I was lettering a boat there. Sadly, a minor stroke had interrupted his well earned retirement, though he was still keen to boat. I was pleased to be able to offer a few tips on signwriting to his son, who was there too. Calstock still moors in Gas St, looking somewhat different!

Dave