Remote oil filter

PaulG

Featured Posts

The oil filter on my LPWS3 is mounted very close to the engine bearers, and is pretty inaccessible.

It's not possible to get anything underneath it other than a few rags or some blue workshop roll to catch the drips when changing the filter.

I'm getting a bit fed up with having old oil in the drip tray.

I've seen kits for installing the oil filter remotely for kit cars and motorsports which would allow the filter to be mounted in a more convenient place.

Has anyone done this on a marine diesel?

Is it a good idea, or should I forget about it?

All comments welcome...

In the meantime try putting a babies nappy under the filter when you change the filter.

I use Incontinence sheets in the drip tray and change them. The padding soaks all the drips and the plastic contains it.

Many thanks for the advice, Graham.

I've been using oil absorbent pads myself, but it's difficult to get at the drip tray in my boat. I have to go fishing for the oily pad with one of those remote gripper thingy's and then try and get it into a plastic bag without dripping oil all over the place.

I'm beginning to think about prevention rather than cure :-)

The oil filter on my LPWS3 is mounted very close to the engine bearers, and is pretty inaccessible.

It's not possible to get anything underneath it other than a few rags or some blue workshop roll to catch the drips when changing the filter.

I'm getting a bit fed up with having old oil in the drip tray.

I've seen kits for installing the oil filter remotely for kit cars and motorsports which would allow the filter to be mounted in a more convenient place.

Has anyone done this on a marine diesel?

Is it a good idea, or should I forget about it?

All comments welcome...

I know the big donks on the likes of Sunseekers and Princess power boats had just that with typically spin-on filters located vertically on an easily accessible bulkhead in engine compartment and connecting via braided hose. It would seem a simple retro-fit for any engine fitted with intergral spin-on filters once an adapter had been made to interface with original filter mount.

Would have been a great advantage to the awfully sited horizontal filter on the inaccessible side of the Volvo TMD31B on my last boat.

Example below

20080130%20Remote%20Fuel%20Filter.JPG

Edited by by'eck

I know the big donks on the likes of Sunseekers and Princess power boats had just that with typically spin-on filters located vertically on an easily accessible bulkhead in engine compartment and connecting via braided hose. It would seem a simple retro-fit for any engine fitted with intergral spin-on filters once an adapter had been made to interface with original filter mount.

Would have been a great advantage to the awfully sited horizontal filter on the inaccessible side of the Volvo TMD31B on my last boat.

Example below

Its OK if you have room for a barrow in the engine hole

I fitted one of these a few years ago to a BMC 1.8 on a boat I used to maintain.

I know the current owners of the boat.

It has been brilliant, so easy to change the filter without a mess.

I'd love to fit the equivalent to my current Beta JD3 but haven't found a reasonably priced kit yet.

Example below

That's pretty much what I had in mind.

At the moment I have to lie across the top of the engine and grope about to find the filter and remove it.

Similar performance to fit the new filter.

The filter is horizontal at the moment so as soon as you start to undo it, it leaks oil.

A vertical installation like that looks ideal.

On the BD3 the filter sticks out from the side of the engine, so when you unscrew it oil drains out from between the flange and the canister. I have a short length, about a foot of plastic gutter with a cap on the end. I had to glue this on as it leaked without it. I slide this under the filter against the block where it sits quite happily angled down without being held. With this in place I unscrew the filter and the leaking oil collects in the gutter, When the filter comes free I lay it in the gutter and then shoot both filter and oil into a sealable food box to take away for disposal.

• 3 years later...

My word, doesn't time fly...
4 years on I've finally got round to buying the bits that I need.
Before I do the install, there are a few things that the engine gurus might be able to comment on.

The remote filter mount will be significantly higher up than the mount point on the engine.

If possible, I don't intend to mount it any higher than the valve covers.

I'm assuming that I will need to fit a brand of filter that has a built-in anti-drainback valve?

Ideally I'd like to mount the filter in a vertical position (i.e hanging down from the mount) as it seems to me to involve less oil spillage when changing filters.

Of course, the mount on the engine is horizontal, so is the change in orientation likely to cause any issues?

Lastly, it should be possible to fit a longer/bigger filter than the current one (Coopers Z121 or similar). Good idea or not?

As always, any help or advice is much appreciated...