Designated winter mooring spots.

kris88

Featured Posts

There's a hidden agenda. Without doubt in my mind.

I think so too, but even if you don't accept there's a hidden agenda, that means who ever organised this years winter moorings is completely incompetent. Either way it brings into question CRT's suitability to manage the waterways.

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

I think so too, but even if you don't accept there's a hidden agenda, that means who ever organised this years winter moorings is completely incompetent. Either way it brings into question CRT's suitability to manage the waterways.

Regards kris

Hard to argue with that Kriss

There are winter moorings on the stretch of canal through Zouch. Without carrying your water by hand there is no way to liveaboard on those moorings as the nearest water points are back on the river which is usually not the easiest (or safest) to navigate in the winter.

This would be a particularly bad winter mooring place. They have designated the lock end, so not even easy to try and persuade the pub to give water. The nearest services would be either loughborough or EMBS potentially. Both require river cruising. The stretch to Loughborough is quite bad in flood, with emergency moorings in the middle of the river for when the bridge gates are shut at zouch to protect the village. I can't imagine any take up there,, there is literally nothing except bollards.

Edited by Ally

"  No winter moorings in central London. This is to ensure we don’t clog this

particularly popular area plus we have had some enquiries from local
planning authorities which we need to be mindful of."
Far too late it's full up!
I've had to come back out to Kensal Green to get a mooring for the night.
Will turn around in the morning and try again!
Nipper

This would be a particularly bad winter mooring place. They have designated the lock end, so not even easy to try and persuade the pub to give water. The nearest services would be either loughborough or EMBS potentially. Both require river cruising. The stretch to Loughborough is quite bad in flood, with emergency moorings in the middle of the river for when the bridge gates are shut at zouch to protect the village. I can't imagine any take up there,, there is literally nothing except bollards.

I know, this is exactly why I thought they are the most useless mooring points locally for winter. Mind you there are many bridge hoppers who don't seem to live on their boats so maybe they will be happy with spots like these

As a CC'er I was pleased to see this in the latest boaters update. I was getting quite concerned at the long stretches of empty winter moorings I passed and didn't realise anyone can moor on them so long as a permit holder doesn't want the spot.

• In the last edition I mentioned that you are now allowed to stay, until 31 March 2016, on visitor moorings for up to 14 days unless a sign at the site says otherwise. Some have asked on social media if this also means where there’s a sign denoting a winter mooring site. If there’s not a boat occupying that winter mooring berth then, yes, you are entitled to moor there until a boat with a permit for that site turns up (and can’t moor up because you’re there) or the permitted stay time is up, whichever is the sooner.

<p>

As a CC'er I was pleased to see this in the latest boaters update. I was getting quite concerned at the long stretches of empty winter moorings I passed and didn't realise anyone can moor on them so long as a permit holder doesn't want the spot.

But would you want to pay to moor on them?

Regards kris

But would you want to pay to moor on them?

Regards kris

No I can't see the point in paying for a mooring without services. I would need to go to the nearest service point before 14 days had passed and if I'm moving to the services I may as well move on to another mooring rather than return to the one I left. I thought only boaters who had paid could use them so I was surprised to see they can still be used as 14 day visitor moorings if there is space.

Edited by Martin Megson

Hello ally. I agree with your comments. I am familiar with those moorings. I have to say it again. Nonsense.

I'm in the Bulls Bridge area at the moment and there are winter moorings, as the newish sign post says, opposite Tesco's and some further up the Paddington Arm before Bridge 20 at Southhall, but well before the visitor moorings at that place.

There are two boats on moored opposite Tesco's and a great deal of empty space, the moorings before bridge 20 ae empty!

Both have no facilities except that the Tesco's moorings have a tap.

As a Constant Cruiser, is it permissible for me to use these winter moorings for a day or two, or if discovered, will I be hung at dawn?

Nipper

There are no moorings at bridge 20 Paddington arm, its about one inch deep along there, and Indian country. Do you mean bridge 200 on the GU ? Station road Hayes, that is where the drunks hang out, and no one dares moor there, its the wild west down there.

There are no moorings at bridge 20 Paddington arm, its about one inch deep along there, and Indian country. Do you mean bridge 200 on the GU ? Station road Hayes, that is where the drunks hang out, and no one dares moor there, its the wild west down there.

Well, there are winter moorings about 1/4 mile towards Bulls bridge from that bridge number 20 on the Paddington Arm, that carries the A40200 from Southall to Uxbridge.

That is the bridge that all the Indians feed the ducks and geese near and the tow path is covered with slippery mud!

I do remember seeing in the summer visitor moorings there, indeed there is one cruiser there at the moment!

Those locals always smile and wave as you pass and indeed, one old long grey bearded gentleman dressed in white, including a white scull type hat, was so pleased to see us, that he bent his old legs and smacked his thighs as he gave us a very wide grin. Maybe he was just visiting from his homeland ,but i think we were the first Narrow boat he had ever seen!

I was moored just passed Willowtree Marina, on the off side, in the park, lovely moorings and very quite too!

Nipper

OK, having been up and down there for years I only ever saw one boat moored there by the road bridge, where the swans hang out, and that boat was 4 feet out from the bank at the stern, and only accessed by a plank. Of course they might have dredged it since I haven't been past for 2 / 3 years. You will be well supplied for drug dealers along there.

Edited by onionbargee

We spent last Christmas in London. We came past those moorings in mid January and one boat was moored must up/down from the visitor moorings. They were aground. As far as the VMs are concerned, why would anyone stop there? You would have to spend hours just cleaning the sxxx off.

OK, having been up and down there for years I only ever saw one boat moored there by the road bridge, where the swans hang out, and that boat was 4 feet out from the bank at the stern, and only accessed by a plank. Of course they might have dredged it since I haven't been past for 2 / 3 years. You will be well supplied for drug dealers along there.

Maybe someone at CART knows that fact, and thats why the winter moorings have been arranged! clapping.gif

Nipper

On the lower peak forest Cart have put up signs for winter moorings leaving no where else to moor!

My thinking is if I have paid my license why should I move just because they have decided to haphazardly allocate a stretch of bank for winter moorings when someone with a permit turns up?

Is it all about the money now, does this mean I get a discount for the inconvenience of having to move!

The money spent on these signs and the numerous data collectors could have been spent on another water point!

There's a hidden agenda. Without doubt in my mind.

As I've said, and indeed many others, why on earth would you pay a lot of money to do something you already can?

Nonsense.

Will be interesting what is said next year. Something like, "The take up last year was so minimal, therefore it has been decided not to allocate winter mooring sites."

We are just outside Stone at present, moving today, and perhaps four or five boats aday have passed us. Not particularly busy, as CRT will have us believe.

I'm not a CRT basher but why does this seem to be an exercise to annoy?

I quite agree.....

I'm moored rurally - not one boat has passed in the last three days and I have only gone past a handful of other moored boats in the last week or so - yet data checkers appear with monotonous regularity to check out the four or five of us......

Contrary to speculation I fear it is not that CaRNT are looking to abolish winter moorings, they are seeking to ensure we all pay for them every year to enhance their revenue and pay for those ridiculous signs.

Is there anyone in CRT that actually knows anything about what boaters want from moorings ? I expect they just drive out, put a sign up ,and mark it down as winter moorings, then back to the office for tea and biccies.

To be honest CRT should suspend CC'ing in the winter, and offer free winter moorings. That would be helpfull, and show some care for its customers.

Edited by onionbargee

To be honest CRT should suspend CC'ing in the winter, and offer free winter moorings. That would be helpfull, and show some care for its customers.

They are not allowed, someone living aboard for more than a month in the same mooring could be liable for Council Tax etc.

The councilsare asking the questions in London quite aggressively - hence no moorings there at all.

This is their reason for not allowing the roving permit this winter.

However, this does NOT explain why they are putting fixed winter moorings in daft locations with expensive signage which nobody wants to moor at.

If Winter does become harsh and iced in like 2010, then CRT will suspend necessity for movement like they did then as health and safety takes priority.

There is no excuse/reason for no movement at present.

Is there anyone in CRT that actually knows anything about what boaters want from moorings ? I expect they just drive out, put a sign up ,and mark it down as winter moorings, then back to the office for tea and biccies.

Don't know how to give greenies but that deserves one.

They are not allowed, someone living aboard for more than a month in the same mooring could be liable for Council Tax etc.

The councilsare asking the questions in London quite aggressively - hence no moorings there at all.

This is their reason for not allowing the roving permit this winter.

However, this does NOT explain why they are putting fixed winter moorings in daft locations with expensive signage which nobody wants to moor at.

If Winter does become harsh and iced in like 2010, then CRT will suspend necessity for movement like they did then as health and safety takes priority.

There is no excuse/reason for no movement at present.

Oh i duno Matty,

I'm in Kensal Town at the moment, only because there are no moorings available in Little Venice or Paddington Basin.

But it does look like the same old boats and wrecks are still alongside that were there in June when i was here, and these are supposed to be the 14day,7 day visitors moorings! Fat boats look like taking over half of the Paddington basin 7 day moorings and if, before any one shouts "how do i know they haven't just moved", well i don't, but there are precious little movement of boats to get me thinking they are all fresh boats!

Luckily, I have just been allocated a berth at the Rembrandt Gardens for the rest of the week, so i am now sorted!

Nipper