Canal side logs

colmac

Featured Posts

When CRT trim back trees on the towpath and leave lots of lovely logs just lying there, does anyone know if you are allowed to help yourself to said logs or is this classed as theft ? I know the towpaths are classed as public places but they are still the property of the canal authorities.

When CRT trim back trees on the towpath and leave lots of lovely logs just lying there, does anyone know if you are allowed to help yourself to said logs or is this classed as theft ? I know the towpaths are classed as public places but they are still the property of the canal authorities.

I believe that it is the common understanding that you can help yourself

The logs that are generally left behind are willow so have no value. The contractors that cut the trees do not want the hassle of removing the logs so leave them for the boaters.

this subject comes round quite regularly and you will get two different views, the self righteous morally perfect brigade will quote laws from the doomsday book and brand you a thief, the live and let live squad will just say your causing know harm go for it, I doubt very much anyone has ever been arrested for collecting firewood to keep warm
  • Greenie 1

this subject comes round quite regularly and you will get two different views, the self righteous morally perfect brigade will quote laws from the doomsday book and brand you a thief, the live and let live squad will just say your causing know harm go for it, I doubt very much anyone has ever been arrested for collecting firewood to keep warm

Well not since the days when stealing a loaf of bread got you sent to Australia :-)

The logs that are generally left behind are willow so have no value. The contractors that cut the trees do not want the hassle of removing the logs so leave them for the boaters.

As long as it's CRT trees and on CRT property there is a unwritten understanding that it can be taken.

be careful with anything offside as that's not always CRT property.

properly seasoned Willow makes a fine firewood

you will get two different views, the self righteous morally perfect brigade will quote laws from the doomsday book and brand you a thief, the live and let live squad will just say your causing know harm go for it.

Thank you for your impartial summing up.

I agree with you: wood left lying around on the towpath is not going to be used by CART and at worst can get in people's way, so the best use for it is to pick it up, chop it up and burn it up.

Thinks: on the other hand, strategically placed boughs might slow cyclists down, so maybe we should leave a few of them to lie.

As long as it's CRT trees and on CRT property there is a unwritten understanding that it can be taken.

be careful with anything offside as that's not always CRT property.

properly seasoned Willow makes a fine firewood

How long would you season it?

Bod

Piles of logs are generally fine to take - they leave them on the assumption boaters will use them. However in many places now on the offside they leave a mixture of logs and brash in a line a metre or two back from the edge of the canal. These are intentional wildlife corridors and should not be disturbed. It is pretty obvious which are the piles for the taking and which is the wildlife cover, but some people think the latter is also just rubbish for the taking.

Right thats fine then. me and her indoors are off foraging for cut wood. I really must get a book on trees as I would love to be able to identify the different types of wood. I am keeping the location a closely guarded secret as I don't want a bunch of scavenging canal types nicking me wood.

Right thats fine then. me and her indoors are off foraging for cut wood. I really must get a book on trees as I would love to be able to identify the different types of wood. I am keeping the location a closely guarded secret as I don't want a bunch of scavenging canal types nicking me wood.

An ID based on wood can be difficult you really need buds, twigs, bark and ideally leaves.

can I recommend the Collins guide

The contractors leave the wood as it is classed as trade waste and would cost them money to dispose of it.

I used to get a lot of wood from builders merchants for the same reason but so many households are getting fires fitted that the employees seem to take it now.

You may well be right, but some willow does get used. There's cricket bats of course, and cane furniture, and this shows the branches being used to make a chair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRJ3b3FnGWs

Is there some reason why the logs are not generally good for furniture? Not that I'm planning to try it.

You may well be right, but some willow does get used. There's cricket bats of course, and cane furniture, and this shows the branches being used to make a chair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRJ3b3FnGWs

Is there some reason why the logs are not generally good for furniture? Not that I'm planning to try it.

Most timber used will be plantation produced, which means straight stemmed with minimal knots, canal side timber will be misshapen and full of knots and defects.

plus daft as it may seem considering the location, extraction and transport will be expensive and difficult

As TM says, willow is fine for burning if dried. About 50% of the wood I burn in the stove at home is willow, and as it's standing dead trees when I get it, it's most of the way there already. With most woods, and experience, you can tell if wood is fit for burning as soon as you pick it up.

All wood dries faster when cut and split rather than left in lengths, as it mostly dries through the cut surfaces. This is particularly important with birch, whose bark is so impervious that the wood inside will rot before it dries if not cut. Unfortunately most boaters will not have the facilities to stack cut logs, but if you can, most woods will dry to burning suitability in a single summer from fresh.

Wood to burn needs a moisture content of 25% or less. One of the best things to have in the stove armoury is a moisture meter.

Willow will take at least two years to season, look for radial cracks in the logs, that is a good sign the log is seasoned.

Further information on why wood needs seasoning and reducing the moisture content can be read here www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/solid-fuel-stoves/wood-fuel-wisdom/ and there's onward links to further fuel tips.

Wood can contains a substantial amount of water and if unseasoned or damp wood is put in the stove, it doesn't do the stove, or the occupiers of the boat much good as it provides less heat, shortens the life of the stove, blocks the chimney and that can lead to CO poisoning and/or chimney fires. So following Graham's advice is wise.

It's also not good to season wood, or buy seasoned wood, and then leave it out in the rain.

Rob