Stourport staircases

breesey

Featured Posts

Heading south towards Stourport on the S&W recently, another boat (heading north) said they'd been told by a lockkeeper to tie up on the Severn overnight because the Stourport staircase locks close at 4pm. A quick Google revealed no mention of lockkeepers or a closing time in Stourport. (Locks on the Severn are currently open 0800-1600). I'm not sure whether the CRT staff at the locks were volunteers - but surely if a boater wants to use the locks in their absence (assuming other rules and regs permit) then they may. Mooring on a canal is surely always safer than a river.

Heading south towards Stourport on the S&W recently, another boat (heading north) said they'd been told by a lockkeeper to tie up on the Severn overnight because the Stourport staircase locks close at 4pm. A quick Google revealed no mention of lockkeepers or a closing time in Stourport. (Locks on the Severn are currently open 0800-1600). I'm not sure whether the CRT staff at the locks were volunteers - but surely if a boater wants to use the locks in their absence (assuming other rules and regs permit) then they may. Mooring on a canal is surely always safer than a river.

I don't know of the locks are closed overnight. They may be locked to avoid vandals draining the basins, I suppose. But it's fair to point out that mooring on the river at Stourport is to floating pontoons, so really not hazardous at all.

MP.

We live and moor in Stourport and have never seen the two sets of staircase lock being closed at any hour of the day. Obviously the Severn locks, Lincombe etc. have opening times as they are operated by lockies. As an aside, a notice has just been put up declaring that the moorings above York St.lock are for "permit holders only" as winter moorings from the end of November until Feb next year. This only applies to the moorings from the Black Star pub up to the next bridge north.