Coolant Sight Glass

mark99

Featured Posts

Its not a level sight gauge, as you would have on a tank, its a flow sight gauge and is fitted in line onto the top rail outlet before a tee piece and taps which control the coolant flow on engines fitted with reciprocating piston pumps, also used with the gear pump that is also currently listed.

Although that looks to be flanged for a Gardner they were used on other engines to.

It has a swinging indicator so that you can be sure that the engine is being cooled,

Similar ones are available for industrial use, a quick search found these

I have a cast iron version on the shelf taking up space, maybe it will be worth selling.

Steve

Edited by Split Pin

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers SP.

I've also been digging, since as as I'm in the meter trade, I may be "field testing" this little number soon <if I can be bothered to drain/refill coolant> albeit our meters pass 1,000 cubic metres per hour.

http://www.gemssensors.co.uk/Flow/Electronic-Flow-Sensors/Rotor-Flow/RFI-types-Flow-Sensor

• 2 months later...

These coolant sight glasses were fitted to the LW and L3 range of engines - the flange fittings are the correct pitch to match the water rail on these engines.The flow indicator is a stainless steel flap which hangs down - by gravity - and the flow pushes it out of the way so you can see the coolant flowing- the whole thing is in brass so can be made pretty with a bit of polishing.as well as having the peace of mind that the coolant is flowing.They are available.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Gardner-Bronze-Coolant-Sight-Glass-LW-L2-LK-/151853670954?hash=item235b2f222a

I've never seen one of these before. I have a sight glass on the header tank.

I have a very similar flow indicator on my Kelvin. Bronze cast with glass ports front and back. I bought it brand new seven or eight years ago having found them for sale on the net somewhere. Hundred quid-ish IIRC.

If you want one I'll have a look on it for a label or name. Would post up a photo but not on the boat tonight. Tomorrow if I remember!

I have a very similar flow indicator on my Kelvin. Bronze cast with glass ports front and back. I bought it brand new seven or eight years ago having found them for sale on the net somewhere. Hundred quid-ish IIRC.

If you want one I'll have a look on it for a label or name. Would post up a photo but not on the boat tonight. Tomorrow if I remember!

All info gratefully received.

Cheers SP.

I've also been digging, since as as I'm in the meter trade, I may be "field testing" this little number soon <if I can be bothered to drain/refill coolant> albeit our meters pass 1,000 cubic metres per hour.

http://www.gemssensors.co.uk/Flow/Electronic-Flow-Sensors/Rotor-Flow/RFI-types-Flow-Sensor

Old style petrol pumps used something similar, on the right angle from fixed to flexible pipe if remember correctly.

Yes see below.

686482-shell-premium-vintage-petrol-pump

Right, finally remembered to photograph mine at the same time as I'm on the boat, and therefore able to do it!)

Here yer go...

(Dammit, Images to follow, when I can figure out how to get CWF to accept the files from my fone!)

Ok...

post-62-0-76819700-1455317292_thumb.jpgpost-62-0-58637700-1455317392_thumb.jpgpost-62-0-83633300-1455317603_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

The glass window is about 45mm in diameter, and the steel flap (horizontal in the pix) lifts up when water flows and the flow rate can be read from the quadrant the scale on the upper left.

It looks like copper only....... it's not shiney <the pipes I mean> smile.png

Thanks for those.

Edited by mark99

It looks like copper only....... it's not shiney <the pipes I mean> smile.png

Thanks for those.

No, what you get when you buy one is the bronze bit. The copper pipes are provided by the installer, if you want copper. The connections top nd bottom are 1" BSP female.

The bronze or gunmetal (not sure which it is) could easily be polished up to 'bright and shiny' with the right gear and a bench grinder, in my opinion.