Battery D red light on & beeping while the engine runs?

Ella

Featured Posts

Hello!

Having found some very useful anwers on here previously, I was wondering if someone might help us with a problem we've got concerning the engine.

To turn the engine on, we turn the key 90degrees clockwise and wait while it beeps for about 10 seconds. This is supposed to heat the engine. Then we can turn the key down once and this will turn on the engine. Since yesterday, after having turned the key down, the engine turns on and makes a happy noise, but the beeping doesn't stop, even after a few minutes of the engine being lit. Looking at the electronics control panel,one warning light is on: "Batteries D". (We were also told that the batteries should always remain above 12.8V. The inverter is off, however, they are now at 11.7V.)

Is there anything we could try to do to fix this problem? Can we run the engine anyway (we were told that the engine should be run every day in winter)?

Any help or indications on this topic would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

You really need to tell us the make and model of engine, but probably it means the domestic alternator is not charging the domestic batteries. You can run the engine like this (if you can stand the noise) but there is not much point, except perhaps to give you hot water. The primary reason for running the engine every day is to charge the batteries, but that is now not working.

You domestic batteries are now flat and will be damaged if you don't charge them asap.

As to fixing the problem, the first thing I would check is the drive belt on the front of the engine. It may have snapped. If not, it will be something electrical wrong, maybe the alternator has failed, but from the sounds of it you would need to get an electrician in to fix it.

Edited by nicknorman

Engine alternator is not producing output. Check drive belt, try revving engine - may be a simple to fix with excitation wire to D+ terminal loose. Running engine in this condition will do nothing to charge batteries.

Engine alternator is not producing output. Check drive belt, try revving engine - may be a simple to fix with excitation wire to D+ terminal loose. Running engine in this condition will do nothing to charge batteries.

Engines like our Beta have 2 alternators and 2 warning lights. One is marked D for domestic.

Engines like our Beta have 2 alternators and 2 warning lights. One is marked D for domestic.

That would explain the OP's light - can I assume the two alternators have seperate drive belts - if so it still may be a belt broken/loose issue.

I hope that you are revving the engine just after it has started. If not 11.8 volts may not be enough to energise the alternator on idle.

I would add to the advice to run the engine every day to run it at some speed for several hours a day. Probably not running for long enough and fast enough got the batteries to 118 in the first place. I suspect from 11.8 volts with only engine charging you are looking at 8 hours of running or more at the speed, which will gradually reduce, that maintains maximum charging (amps).

Edited by Tony Brooks

Dear all,

Thank you so much for all of your very helpful comments. They came so fast we were gobsmacked! The belts are in good condition, so from what you were all saying, we imagine it's the alternator which isn't charging the batteries for some reason.

nicknorman: Last news I got was that, thanks to your advice, my brother who is there at the moment had gone into town to buy a generator to charge the batteries so that they wouldn't get more damaged than they already are.

By'eck: We revved the engine, but it didn't stop beeping. However, now we might try to fix an excitation wire to D+ terminal. Tom was also going to buy 'excitation wires' to do this.

Tony Brooks: Yes, I imagine the engine hadn't been run enough every day. What you said made it clearer as to why that would be important.

David Mack: We checked and I don't think it's the oil (we replenished that just a few weeks ago and the light isn't on!)

Thanks again every one for your time and expertise, your support was really appreciated!

Funny enough took mine out for the first time and it did as yours Beeping and D battery light flashed every second or so but when I started it but when i start to motor it it goes out all ok, mines a beta with 2 alternators.

So It could be a case off jst getting it out and using it.

Hello again!

It's still beeping - but we have more information about the situation!

So we've bought a generator to charge all the batteries and charged them all at 13.5V for about 3hours. The 'Phoenix multi-control' went from 'bulk' to 'absorption' and then when it hit 'float' we finally turned it off. So that may have saved the leisure batteries!

However, even when the batteries were nearly charged, we tried again to turn the engine on (Beta Marine) and the small beeper behind the ignition started to beep again, more or less constantly, sometimes intermittently. We moved the boat and also tried to just rev it on neutral, but it kept going (thanks anyway rustydiver!! :) ). The alternator works, the belts are all tight and when the engine is running the voltmeter across the red to the black terminal of the alternator says 12.8V. We checked each battery separately and they were all fine. It seemed that all the connections were fine - but then again, that's just looking with my eyes. My dad and I spent all day Saturday trying to work this out and are now happy about the batteries, but puzzled still as to what might be wrong...

Tony Brooks: which silver knob/ which button/which arm? I would like to try, but am a bit confused :s :)

Any further ideas as to what on earth might be going on?!

Many thanks!

Yes, that's what it would seem. Okay, thanks. How then does the beeper know how to beep? The batteries are charged, the alternator is working and the engine is running, but there is still a beep because it knows that the alternator is not charging the batteries - how does it know??!

Yes, that's what it would seem. Okay, thanks. How then does the beeper know how to beep? The batteries are charged, the alternator is working and the engine is running, but there is still a beep because it knows that the alternator is not charging the batteries - how does it know??!

But it is not charging your batteries at 12.8

I will also add the alternator is not working born out by your batteries not indicating a charge, with something over 14 volts expected from your previously fully charged batteries. Secondly and most obviously by the fact that the alternator warning light/buzzer is operating, advising you its not charging.

There are a variety of reasons for its failure with the most obvious being a drive belt issue although I believe you have already ruled this out. If no loose wires/connections, its probably time to remove it completely and have it checked - could be brushes or faulty regulator.

Yes, that's what it would seem. Okay, thanks. How then does the beeper know how to beep? The batteries are charged, the alternator is working

No it isn't!

If your engine is running and the alternator shows 12.8V, then it most certainly isn't working.

If the belt is fine, and the alternator light is on (which says that the excitation wire is in place), then the alternator sounds to be knackered.

How then does the beeper know how to beep?

They breed them to do that. Actually, both types were available, but noone bought the beepers that don't beep when the alternator is faulty. So, unless you can find a silent beeper in a museum, you may have to bite the bullet and get the alternator looked at. ;)