Working Boats - Extra income?

the barnacle

Featured Posts

Was just thinking - after seeing a picture on the forum of Halsall all load up but maybe still very underweight as she has a diverse range on her and not just bulk material as designed for, it might be an idea at the boatmans cabin end to created another small cabin, - i am sure many people would pay to go on a working boat for a few days and help out delivering to experience the way of life,

it would bring some good income in - i would love to go on a working boat myself so others must also want to. a form could be signed covering and releasing the boat / boatman from any claim responsability.

or am i just talking waffle laugh.png

Was just thinking - after seeing a picture on the forum of Halsall all load up but maybe still very underweight as she has a diverse range on her and not just bulk material as designed for, it might be an idea at the boatmans cabin end to created another small cabin, - i am sure many people would pay to go on a working boat for a few days and help out delivering to experience the way of life,

it would bring some good income in - i would love to go on a working boat myself so others must also want to. a form could be signed covering and releasing the boat / boatman from any claim responsability.

or am i just talking waffle laugh.png

I doubt a working narrow boat would have the space for another cabin at the stern end. However Sir John Knill had an extended cabin on Columba he used for an office/ bed room as recounted by Tom Foxon in Anderton for Orders.

Photo courtesy of NarrowBoat Summer 2015 from the Reading Standard.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

I'm trying not to sound as if I'm nit picking but "a form could be signed covering and releasing the boat / boatman from any claim responsability." wouldn't be worth a brass farthing.

Any more than signs in pubs saying the management aren't responsible or liable for customers' hats, coats and gloves left unattended .... Oh yes they are!

Also anyone paying to be a passenger on board someone else's boat is likely to call down regulations appertaining to Hotel Boat at the very least.

By adding a cabin extension just forward of the engine room would decrease the amount of tonnage that you could carry.

I'm aware of slack boards but probably unnecessary with bagged coal that's carried these days rather than loose stuff. It just makes working around the boat awkward.

When loading Ariel, which is 50ft, with a decent amount, the fore end drops nicely in the water but because of the cabin at the back end I can't get enough wait to counter balance this.

The result is that Ariel is down by the head which in theory is fine but sometimes the back end is far too high out the water to be practicable.

Glug glug glug as the prop tries to bite!

i would love to go on a working boat myself so others must also want to.

We did more or less that in the 70s. The limejuice run was a winter job, so for 2 or 3 years we put the kids in beds up in the cratch in the summer so 2 people could share the motor cabin, with us in the butty. We were loading bulk coal at Gopsall on the Moira which we bagged up ourselves, so there was plenty of hard dirty labouring for the visitors to get involved in. Patches were far more flexible than they presumably are now, and we did one delivery down the 30-12 and Severn to Cadbury's wharf at Frampton followed by another through London to the top of the Lee and the Stort. We also did bulk deliveries to the Thames lock keepers. It worked very well, and some of the people who came with us remained as long term friends.

Tam

• Greenie 1