Beta JD3 tug engines

Featured Posts

My search for a replacement boat has led me to look at a boat with a Beta JD3 (3 cylinder?) tug engine in its own engine room. My current boat has the modern Beta 43hp 4-cylinder engine. I know very little about marine engines so am wondering how much extra maintenance, if any, there is on a Beta JD3 over the Beta 43hp? It also must be useful having easy access to an engine sitting on a floor rather than in an engine bay?

My search for a replacement boat has led me to look at a boat with a Beta JD3 (3 cylinder?) tug engine in its own engine room. My current boat has the modern Beta 43hp 4-cylinder engine. I know very little about marine engines so am wondering how much extra maintenance, if any, there is on a Beta JD3 over the Beta 43hp? It also must be useful having easy access to an engine sitting on a floor rather than in an engine bay?

None at all other than polish the brass bits.

Hi! Sounds promising. No real downsides? I've read they're a bit clattery, but I'm not fussed. Are they OK on tidal rivers? I like the thought of not having to be a contortionist in order to gain access to all the engine.

Sorry to be thick, but what does PM stand for? I'm a newbie to this forum and haven't got the jargon yet.

Hi! Sounds promising. No real downsides? I've read they're a bit clattery, but I'm not fussed. Are they OK on tidal rivers? I like the thought of not having to be a contortionist in order to gain access to all the engine.

Sorry to be thick, but what does PM stand for? I'm a newbie to this forum and haven't got the jargon yet.

PM private message. Trackman is a helpful guy so you will get good advice from him.

You need to make one more post before you can use the PM system.

Anyway, apart from the brand name, there is little resemblance between a Beta 43 and Beta JD3. The former is a modern Japanese Kubota 4 cylinder diesel. The latter is a rather ancient John Deere engine. OK they are both sometimes referred to as "tractor engines" but that is a bit unfair for the former, entirely apt for the latter. So it is noisy, rattly, smoky, unlike your 43.

Just saying like, so you are forewarned. Of course lots of people like them, but they're not for me!

You need to make one more post before you can use the PM system.

Anyway, apart from the brand name, there is little resemblance between a Beta 43 and Beta JD3. The former is a modern Japanese Kubota 4 cylinder diesel. The latter is a rather ancient John Deere engine. OK they are both sometimes referred to as "tractor engines" but that is a bit unfair for the former, entirely apt for the latter. So it is noisy, rattly, smoky, unlike your 43.

Just saying like, so you are forewarned. Of course lots of people like them, but they're not for me!

Not sure how ancient the JD is as it replaced the BD about 13/14 years ago

mattlad, Enlighten me about my lack of experience! (I'm just teasing) In what area? Are you referring to driving a boat on a tidal river?

I'll have to assume that if the fitout has been done by a reputable firm then the engine will have been installed properly. Bet someone's now going to tell me that I can't even assume that!

Now here's probably a stupid question (because I think I know the answer), if I had a Gardner put in front of me is it going to give me a massive headache in learning and maintenance terms?

I'm liking the idea more and more of learning about an engine where I am able to see all parts easily and in the dry.

As I mentioned on another thread recently, I have had a Gardner 2LW for nine years. It was installed, newly rebuilt, in Trojan when she was built. In those years the engine has blown a starter motor (easily replaced) when it was new and still "tight", and more recently a throttle cable broke. That's all the problems I've had in nine years. During that time I've had a reliable and powerful engine which just needs an oil & filters service once a year. New parts are readily available if they're needed. And yes, it stands in its own engine room with space all around it.

I have no personal experience of JD3s but I've looked at quite a few. I think it's still a current model so you should have no problem with servicing and spare parts. It looks the part (if a little shinily) and, judging by its size, it should produce ample power. It does sound as if you're about to plough the canal, though, but that should not be too harrowing.

Like the terminology, Athy. I think I need to go see the JD3 boat & ask for the engine to be switched on!

Well you would not buy a car without at least running the engine and probably driving it, would you? So I would suggest that asking to take the boat for a short test chug would be perfectly reasonable. Is she at a broker's or on private sale? Any links to an advert on the internet?

Confused person here -

Anniedesigner was originally looking for a DB - at least that was the implication in her first thread? So now a NB (that's fine 'cept I would have thought a JD3 would be a bit small for a broadbeam DB)

So assuming the topic has now moved to narrowboats -

OK - grovelling down an engine hole on a cruiser stern boat may be unpleasant - but less so in a Semi-trad or Trad boat - but you still have to grovel on the floor to get to the engine oil filter - unless it's a well planned layout and the previous owner had fitted remote oil, fuel and sump pumps. That's a matter of the installation and not the engine make / model.

Remember that a proper engine room takes up a lot of living space and the 'rooms' behind it will also be less usable than in a cruiser or semi- boat. There will be lots of comments on the above...

Rivers.

These inconveniently have unpredictable flows, not only down the stream but across the track as well. Most of the time a well specified canal boat will cope - but for all conditions you'd need 'the next model up'. I have a 60 footer and fitted a 50HP Beta (the norm would be a 43HP). Very useful when the Thames is running at the yop end of Yellow boards - but then NBs shouldn't be cruising under those conditions.

Remember that a proper engine room takes up a lot of living space and the 'rooms' behind it will also be less usable than in a cruiser or semi- boat. There will be lots of comments on the above...

biggrin.png

...and here comes the first! Our engine room is five feet long and also serves as a storeroom and laundry drying room, so it's a useful space. Wherever you stick it the engine is going to take up some room anyway.

The room behind it is our bedroom, back cabin, call it what you will. It is perfectly usable - in what way would it not be? You have to walk past the engine to get to/from the other accommodation but this is no hardship (in fact I find it a pleasure).

biggrin.png

...and here comes the first! Our engine room is five feet long and also serves as a storeroom and laundry drying room, so it's a useful space. Wherever you stick it the engine is going to take up some room anyway.

The room behind it is our bedroom, back cabin, call it what you will. It is perfectly usable - in what way would it not be? You have to walk past the engine to get to/from the other accommodation but this is no hardship (in fact I find it a pleasure).

Seconded.

A JD3 in it's own separate engine room is a thing aspired to by many a boater stuck with a dull and boring digger engine under the floorboards. And servicing it is a joy due to not having to clear a ton of junk to lift up the engine covers then grope around in a dark, dank hole.

Seconded.

A JD3 in it's own separate engine room is a thing aspired to by many a boater stuck with a dull and boring digger engine under the floorboards. And servicing it is a joy due to not having to clear a ton of junk to lift up the engine covers then grope around in a dark, dank hole.

There's always something in the way of me servicing an engine in its own engine room.....

Still, I did say "for better or for worse". :)

biggrin.png

All these things are very true, and in extreme cold weather an engine room even makes a good bedroom for the dog.

The JD3 will push a 70foot 24 ton narrowboat up the Thames at the top end of yellow boards and have a bit in reserve.

When working hard it produces a quite pleasing exhaust note but it is never going to sound anywhere near as good as a 2LW or JP2 etc.

JD3 is a "small 3 cylinder" .it easily out performs a 2LW but is a long way below a 3LW. No significant maintenance beyond the usual oil changes etc.

.................Dave

edited for sp

Edited by dmr

Seconded.

Absolutely - once you've moved the bike, shopping bags, drying rack, washing machine...

Richard

It has a standard spin on oil filter just like your present engine, a pump to suck the oil out of the sump, standard CAV type filters, it is to all intents a modern engine. Just press the button to start it, nothing special at all in that respect and it doesn't look to bad in an engine room, its standard keel cooled and will heat your water. Not much against it really.I know several people who have them and never heard of any problems.

But do be aware...., its a big heavy engine and is rigidly mounted, so when running the engine (for battery charging etc) you will hear it and it will cause significant vibration in the boat. If you don't like this sort of thing then a modern rubber mounted engine would be better. I suspect it causes less vibration than a 2LW though!

..............Dave

I could have said 'it all depends' - but that would have been facile - no help at all.

But it does "depend". Annie is downsizing from a DB or widebeam and I would expect she'd need to make maximum use of the much reduced available space. For all iknow a bedroom at the back could be great or not.

Making the choice of boat for anyone - let alone live / work aboard, on how easy it is to service the motive plant is daft. It is possible to make a digger-engine-down-in-a-black-hole easier to service, whereas a nicely placed 'proper engine' in an engine room might not make the best use of space for the OP.

As a liveaboard/workaboard I expect to be doing a couple of engine services over the winter, be checking and possibly topping up batteries a few times, and running the engine most days. I don't want to have to go outside for these tasks!

If we limit the discussion to trads then I would say an engine room is a useful and "high quality" space I still go for a walk to the back of the boat several times a day just for the pleasure of walking thru it (sad old git) . An engine stuffed half under a raised floor at the back of the boat with awkward steps round the side is a "low quality" space with limited usefulness.

.............Dave