Fibreglass port hole liners

Featured Posts

Anybody who is fitting out their own boat will know what a pain porthole liners and Houdini hatch liners can be, the choice is basically the spun metal types or solid wood. While the spun metal ones are cheap cheerful and easy to fit they quite often don't do justice to the rest of the fit out while solid wood ones tend to be pricey and sometimes awkward to fit.

Anyway we are working on an alternative using moulds taken directly from our wooden ones one of our suppliers is now manufacturing them from fibreglass, now I know this isn't entirely a brand new idea but the difference this time is that a lot of effort is being put into the wood effect finish. The fibreglass trims not only have the texture of the original ones but the gel coat is being specially matched to the originals too so both grain and colour give a very close resemblance to the wood the original was made in. Different moulds are being prepared from different woods and the effect is very pleasing so far, we are also looking at various options to make them quick and easy to fit too.

I personally aren't a big fan of anything made out of "plastic wood" but these are very convincing, it will be a few months before we can get the things into production fully but for near the same price as a spun metal liner I can see them being a popular alternative.

Anybody who is fitting out their own boat will know what a pain porthole liners and Houdini hatch liners can be, the choice is basically the spun metal types or solid wood. While the spun metal ones are cheap cheerful and easy to fit they quite often don't do justice to the rest of the fit out while solid wood ones tend to be pricey and sometimes awkward to fit.

Anyway we are working on an alternative using moulds taken directly from our wooden ones one of our suppliers is now manufacturing them from fibreglass, now I know this isn't entirely a brand new idea but the difference this time is that a lot of effort is being put into the wood effect finish. The fibreglass trims not only have the texture of the original ones but the gel coat is being specially matched to the originals too so both grain and colour give a very close resemblance to the wood the original was made in. Different moulds are being prepared from different woods and the effect is very pleasing so far, we are also looking at various options to make them quick and easy to fit too.

I personally aren't a big fan of anything made out of "plastic wood" but these are very convincing, it will be a few months before we can get the things into production fully but for near the same price as a spun metal liner I can see them being a popular alternative.

Some words are nothing without pictures :cheers:

Mine are solid oak, but after nearly 2 years I noticed the varnish was cracking. I suspect that an interior polyurethane varnish had been used, which is ok in theory, but in practice the UV and condensation they are subject to means it makes sense to use an exterior varnish. I've just finished rubbing them all down and going over them with 3 coats of yacht varnish - the first coat thinned by 10% white spirit. I hope that will last a bit longer.

Fibreglass liners should resist UV degradation as long as the gelcoat is coloured.

Mine are solid oak, but after nearly 2 years I noticed the varnish was cracking.

one could ask why are they varnished?

couple of years ago there was an extensive thread about internal timber finishes and if I recall correctly I believe that Danish oil came out favourite.

one could ask why are they varnished?

couple of years ago there was an extensive thread about internal timber finishes and if I recall correctly I believe that Danish oil came out favourite.

I don't know - my sailaway came lined and all the lining was already varnished with a satin finish. I thought most people varnished faced ply and tongue & groove?

Danish oil is good for furniture but I'm not sure if it would protect wood from the elements like UV & condensation which window liners have to contend with. It's never used on exterior wood after all.

I've also been told not to use Danish oil on wooden kitchen worktops because it contains toxins which should not come into contact with food (not that most people prepare food on wooden worktops). Ikea do a non-toxic wood worktop treatment product called Behandla.

Edited by blackrose

• 2 years later...
are these fibreglass liners still available? canalboatbits website seems to have gone....?

Need some liners for 15" ports ......12 of em!

15" is internal diameter of liner

Well to be precise Canalboatbits actually went twice in quick succession but that's another story! :lol:

But you can get the liners here- http://www.wesleywindows.co.uk/

I don't know - my sailaway came lined and all the lining was already varnished with a satin finish. I thought most people varnished faced ply and tongue & groove?

Danish oil is good for furniture but I'm not sure if it would protect wood from the elements like UV & condensation which window liners have to contend with. It's never used on exterior wood after all.

I've also been told not to use Danish oil on wooden kitchen worktops because it contains toxins which should not come into contact with food (not that most people prepare food on wooden worktops). Ikea do a non-toxic wood worktop treatment product called Behandla.

Osmo wax oil is a good finish for solid woods, and is perfecly safe on worktops too. They do internal & external, as well as UV resistant. It is a largely natural 'no nasties' product, that seems expensive but goes a REALLY long way! very easy to apply and maintain.

I have seen some fibreglass port collars....if I remember correctly, from Wesley windows (?) Not impressed! Give me solid timber anyday.....Osmo coated preferably!

• 5 years later...