BCN Challenge 2016

RLWP

Featured Posts

But has Millie nearly thrown up over Richard Parry's feet whilst he is locking boats up to Titford Pools

I think you will find it is Odin that has some claim to BCN Challenge Dog Notoriety!

Good point Alan - Odin definitely has the edge on Millie!

But you could go via Brum couldn't you?

I have a feeling that's what we'll be doing.

ETA Oops, meant to quote Ange's message!

Hmm food for thought there. I finish work in Stoke at the end of May - I'm sure there was some reason we wanted to be in Liverpool again mid June. I need to look at the timings and try to remember what's going on in Liverpool that we wanted to attend - when's the Challenge again? Brainpower definitely fades post 50 :D

• 1 month later...

It is never too early to get excited!

My tip is decide what you want to achieve out of entering. Do you want to try and win, or just take part. The planing is very different between the two options!

We are not going to try to win, but it would be good to do as much as we can for the fun of it.

We will probably start at Aldersley Junction, take the Wyrley & Essington plus its various branches, then down via Perry Barr to climb up the Farmers Bridge flight to the centre, followed by bimbling along the old main line taking in whatever loops we can.

That's the preliminary outline. Are there any other must do places we should try to include?

We are not going to try to win, but it would be good to do as much as we can for the fun of it.

We will probably start at Aldersley Junction, take the Wyrley & Essington plus its various branches, then down via Perry Barr to climb up the Farmers Bridge flight to the centre, followed by bimbling along the old main line taking in whatever loops we can.

That's the preliminary outline. Are there any other must do places we should try to include?

If you have time go up the titford canal, it's nicer than you might think, especially the lock flight and the pump house at the top.

I would reverse that, start at Salford, do the Perry Barr, Rushall, Daw End, W&E and then add something in. Farmer's Bridge and Aston are a lot of locks for (usually) not many points because they are already well used

Or, you could do the W&E, Daw End, Rushall etc, then the Tame Valley, Ryder's Green then plan a bit of the back of the map to explore and end at Hawne Basin

Richard

If you have time go up the titford canal, it's nicer than you might think, especially the lock flight and the pump house at the top.

And great fun if there are the better part of twenty boats going up and down. One of my favourite memories from 2014

Richard

I would reverse that, start at Salford, do the Perry Barr, Rushall, Daw End, W&E and then add something in. Farmer's Bridge and Aston are a lot of locks for (usually) not many points because they are already well used

Or, you could do the W&E, Daw End, Rushall etc, then the Tame Valley, Ryder's Green then plan a bit of the back of the map to explore and end at Hawne Basin

Richard

And great fun if there are the better part of twenty boats going up and down. One of my favourite memories from 2014

Richard

Interesting! As I am not especially going for maximum points, I wanted to include Farmer's Bridge and Aston just because we've never done them before.

On the other hand.....!

Interesting! As I am not especially going for maximum points, I wanted to include Farmer's Bridge and Aston just because we've never done them before.

On the other hand.....!

Then your original plan is good

Richard

Richard

Don't tell 'em Richard! I have to admit to being pretty scientific about calculating a route to score most points for the size of crew and length of boat. I had it worked out the same day as I got the scoring info and have options for running ahead or behind schedule. Have still managed to get in most of the main bits of the BCN I have yet to cover as well. Not competitive at all... ?

Nice to see on the Heron map of the BCN that 'the back of the map' is still literally that.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Is the Wolverhampton 21 on the route this year?

Got my form, and really looking forward to doing it...

Need to find a decent crew though

Then we can have a personal battle. Who comes higher - Dave Payne or Dave Paine?

Enter for fun but as you start jostling for a starting position suddenly you'll decide to go for maximum points and aim to take in all those extra little bits that you thought wouldn't be achievable.

I think I may have already started doing that!

6 locks up and 6 down again with triple points!

Plus a possible photo bonus if you're brave enough to venture on to the pools.

Only 2x multiplier this year. The pools though are a must this year after not being able to do them last year.