BCN Challenge 2016

RLWP

Featured Posts

If cyclists and walkers also compete they could win points and pints by working locks.

I very much wish to enter, however will need to come up with a cunning plan to convince the Mrs. Do babies count as crew?

Would be very happy to cycle round and help with locks.

Wheelie bins are interesting, they way they surface for breath as a boat passes, then dive into the deeps again

Richard

Must be a Midlands thing.....

Our worst wheelie bin encounter was the one that proved to be underneath the boat when we descended one of the locks on the Ashton.

That one had no intention of surfacing without a fight.

Would be very happy to cycle round and help with locks.

I'm sure some crews would love this! BUT.....some crews wouln't! An explanation is due: those boats with 3 or less crew, get a bonus for having less than 4+ crew members, due to being slower at locks. And its in the rules that anyone helping at any time, must be declared as the total crew number.

Alternatively, you could play "mole" and be paid by some crews, in a dastardly move, to inadvertently help others in an act of seemingly innocent mischief.

And its in the rules that anyone helping at any time, must be declared as the total crew number.

You are overinterpreting that. If we, with our monster crew, help out another boat - they don't have to count our crew as part of theirs. So, if someone not connected to a team lockwheeled for a mixture of crews, you won't have to declare them.

Otherwise, you'd have to get crews of non competing boats to close up a lock so your crew opened it

Richard

Yes,

I didn't think that because Richard Parry wound some paddles for us that we were obliged to declared him as a part time 4th crew member!

If you think of all the boats on Titford at the time, you'd have a crew of around thirty

Richard

If you think of all the boats on Titford at the time, you'd have a crew of around thirty

Richard

Libworth & I were just talking about this with reference to the 'Tim 'n' Pru' thread and 'Getting 'em ahead'.

We were remembering how good it was to have a whole party of boaters, IIRC boats in each of the 6 locks and more in the pounds between, who knew what to do and when to do it.

All keen to move the boat in front forward and work through the flight efficiently.

• 1 month later...

I have got my application form. Bought a boat with some BCN history so has to be done.

Of the things I am hoping to do in my first year of boat ownership this is the thing I am most looking forward to.

JP

You must be mad!

Consequently you should do quite well

Welcome to the Challenge

Richard

You must be mad!

Consequently you should do quite well

Welcome to the Challenge

Richard

Thank you Richard.

I have boated enough of the BCN including the nether regions to have an idea of what awaits. Proof of madness me thinks.

We have actually met a couple of times.

Jon

Edited by Captain Pegg

You scratched your paint yet?

Richard

We have a mystery of some paint going missing from a handrail, was not me.

Anyway we are going to enter, but perhaps we will take it easy this time round, someone else can take on challenging this year.

We have a mystery of some paint going missing from a handrail, was not me.

Anyway we are going to enter, but perhaps we will take it easy this time round, someone else can take on challenging this year.

You are all set for Ashted tunnel!

Richard

On the other hand, that's a well trained pair of capable BCN Challenge crew with a charming dog. Snap them up while you can!

Richard

Aww thank you

Dyad - we'll be present in some capacity, just not on our own boat.

Unless we change our plans.

Which we regularly do!

Aww thank you

Dyad - we'll be present in some capacity, just not on our own boat.

Unless we change our plans.

Which we regularly do!

An Automatic bow thruster, and the only person to help me out of the water at Pelsall - who could ask for more?

And Millie!

Richard

An Automatic bow thruster, and the only person to help me out of the water at Pelsall - who could ask for more?

And Millie!

Richard

I think that calls for a gratuitous Millie photo. Hope no one minds :)

tmp_30957-FB_IMG_14495332605911204240363.jpg

I have got my application form. Bought a boat with some BCN history so has to be done.

Of the things I am hoping to do in my first year of boat ownership this is the thing I am most looking forward to.

JP

Tell us about your boat?

Hi Dave,

Vulpes was the first of three 'Hampton Class' tugs built by CTS in 1968. It spent the 70s and 80s at Netherton and was substantially rebuilt in the 90s at Norton Canes. It got mentioned in the History & Heritage forum at the time I was buying it so I put my first post in there.

Will hopefully be moving for the first time this weekend and will be heading home from Ashwood via Birmingham.

Jon

Edited by Captain Pegg

I think that calls for a gratuitous Millie photo. Hope no one minds smile.png

But has Millie nearly thrown up over Richard Parry's feet whilst he is locking boats up to Titford Pools

I think you will find it is Odin that has some claim to BCN Challenge Dog Notoriety!

Hi Dave,

Vulpes was the first of three 'Hampton Class' tugs built by CTS in 1968. It spent the 70s and 80s at Netherton and was substantially rebuilt in the 90s at Norton Canes. It got mentioned in the History & Heritage forum at the time I was buying it so I put my first post in there.

Will hopefully be moving for the first time this weekend and will be heading home from Ashwood via Birmingham.

Jon

Looking forward to seeing her.

:)