BCN Challenge 2016

RLWP

Featured Posts

Team Clover accepting their award for winning the Challenge the second time, at the Bonfire Rally AGM just now.

Who will be the winner in 2016????

Team Clover accepting their award for winning the Challenge the second time, at the Bonfire Rally AGM just now.

Who will be the winner in 2016????post-5787-0-86017000-1446234882_thumb.jpgpost-5787-0-86017000-1446234882_thumb.jpg

Really, do au pairs get £150 or so plus all accom and bills these days? I had no idea! Is it being boat based that is the problem? I can imagine plenty liking the idea of the boat, but possibly not so much the lack of personal space.

150 is average, it ranges from 100 to 180. Tempted by the position myself, it certainly doesn't feel like I have that much disposable income after all the bills, and I bet it is less stress too.

I think the plan is to put the au pair on the 'spare boat' we are towing around, the main problems tend to be lack of decent English speaking skills. Other issues are visas and Health insurance. If we employ one from outside the EU then I am liable for health care costs...

Other issues are we are being a little fussy with just who will look after our little one, and rightly so.

So yeah, all good fun.

Who will be the winner in 2016????

If the rules and scoring are similar to either this yeras (or the previous year) my vote is it will be Team Clover, (unless the same crew use one of their other motors instead!).

If the rules and scoring are similar to either this yeras (or the previous year) my vote is it will be Team Clover, (unless the same crew use one of their other motors instead!).

Do Team Clover tow a butty?

Also just how bad is the bcn? Rufford with full tanks, all my coal and all me other bits and pieces is a little low in the water.

Do working coal boats ply the bcn?

Also just how bad is the bcn? Rufford with full tanks, all my coal and all me other bits and pieces is a little low in the water.

No, Clover don't tow a butty. From observation, that isn't a winning combination

My guess is, you are used to steering Rufford, so you'll be fine on the BCN. Like most little used places, it's the edges that are dangerous. Mind you, the Rushall was difficult for most boats this year

Atlas (and others) regularly cruise to all parts of the BCN and will be a similar draught to you

Richard

John Jackson on Roach travels round some parts of the BCN.

No they run light with just the motor.

Loaded boats can be found on the BCN, and some of the boats that ply the GU have sometimes been seen passing along the BCN to go onto the Staff and Worcs to load.

In the past we have taken "Sickle" around bits of the BCN, and it was generally things around the prop that caused more issues than how close the bottom is to the top.

A full length "Grand Union" boat is generally longer than a Josher like "Clover" though, I would say, and at quite a few BCN locks it is my undersatnding that both front and rear fenders need to be lifted to guarantee sufficient length between cill and bottom gates.

A full length "Grand Union" boat is generally longer than a Josher like "Clover" though, I would say, and at quite a few BCN locks it is my undersatnding that both front and rear fenders need to be lifted to guarantee sufficient length between cill and bottom gates.

We struggle with Scorpio in a few locks due to length and yes front and rear fenders have to be lifted to get gates open.

No, Clover don't tow a butty. From observation, that isn't a winning combination

My guess is, you are used to steering Rufford, so you'll be fine on the BCN. Like most little used places, it's the edges that are dangerous. Mind you, the Rushall was difficult for most boats this year

Atlas (and others) regularly cruise to all parts of the BCN and will be a similar draught to you

Richard

The Walsall is bad too (unless it's been sorted since 2014) but most of the rest is OK. The Rushall is a bit shallow but it's not that long. I think the rest of the Curley Wurley loop is deeper than the new main line these days. We've passed over a shopping trolley or two (visible in the super-clear water) but not touched them despite or 2'8" draft.

The Walsall is bad too (unless it's been sorted since 2014) but most of the rest is OK. The Rushall is a bit shallow but it's not that long. I think the rest of the Curley Wurley loop is deeper than the new main line these days. We've passed over a shopping trolley or two (visible in the super-clear water) but not touched them despite or 2'8" draft.

You missed the delights of the Rushall this year, Nick. I can assure you that over a mile of canal where you can see the bottoms of the towpath walls is shallow

Taking fenders off is not much fun. And crystall clear water? Really?

Yes, really. One of my favourite canal memories is watching a pike on the Old Main Line

Richard

You missed the delights of the Rushall this year, Nick. I can assure you that over a mile of canal where you can see the bottoms of the towpath walls is shallow

Richard

But wasn't that just because the level was down, as opposed to the canal being fundamentally shallow?

2 years ago the Curley Wyrley was fine to travel on. Seemingly it had been dredged. This year it was a very different story. Lots of prop fouls. Who knows what next year holds for us?

Taking fenders off is not much fun. And crystall clear water? Really?

Much of the Wolverhampton level is amazingly clear. I've heard different explanations. Does any one know the reason for sure?

2 years ago the Curley Wyrley was fine to travel on. Seemingly it had been dredged. This year it was a very different story. Lots of prop fouls. Who knows what next year holds for us?

Much of the Wolverhampton level is amazingly clear. I've heard different explanations. Does any one know the reason for sure?

I'd have thought its due to being near the "top" of the canal network; and being little used means the silt isn't stirred up as often.

Not stirring up the silt sounds like one factor in keeping water clear, but I think it's also to do with the amount of small plant matter suspended in the water. There should be a lot less of that where the water contains less nutrients such as fertiliser run-off from farmers, and/or where enough of the right fish or other creatures such as daphnia are there to eat it. For example I saw clear water in the GU in West London in August, which is fairly busy with boats and has locks above it all the way up to Tring.

One is tempted to say it's all the polluting residue from the industrial past killing all the micro-organisms off. EXCEPT that it's swarming with fish!

Mind you, many of them seem to have 2 heads.

Of course one of the "lines" is that the water source is underground mine pumping (Dudley, Bradely etc) and thus mud-free, unlike surface run-off from land. Not sure how much truth there is in that but eg the arm up to Bradely is very clear.

Surely the water is kept clear to help you see and avoid the TV's, fridges, wheelie bins, wheelbarrows etc.

Now, I've never seen clear water where the TVs live

Wheelie bins are interesting, they way they surface for breath as a boat passes, then dive into the deeps again

Richard

Edited by RLWP

The last wheelie bin I rode over was outside Caggy's, it caused the boat to list quite badly and then as I slide off the lid popped up and sort of grinned at me. The wheelbarrow was interesting as the air in the tyre held it just below the surface waiting to attack.

Richard

The water level is back up to usual level on the Rushall.

We're hoping to enter again. Just need to persuade Becky that it's a good idea to enter with a new baby due January. And our regular crew not able to make it.

I have a cunning plan though. For wedding gifts my sister and brother in law were asking for experience promises instead of traditional presents. So I promised them a BCN Challenge experience weekend! No getting out of it now!

Don't think we will be very competitive this year though. Looking forward to it already.

Tom

Just think of the publicity the Challenge could get from "Baby wins a Canal Challenge"!!