BCN Challenge 2016

RLWP

Featured Posts

We're hoping to enter again. Just need to persuade Becky that it's a good idea to enter with a new baby due January. And our regular crew not able to make it.

I have a cunning plan though. For wedding gifts my sister and brother in law were asking for experience promises instead of traditional presents. So I promised them a BCN Challenge experience weekend! No getting out of it now!

Don't think we will be very competitive this year though. Looking forward to it already.

Tom

We are considering being radical and WALKING the Challenge this year - limbering up for a walking holiday a few weeks later, and just to do something different.

As the Challenge is an awareness-raising event as much as anything I've often thought it'd be good to get other user groups involved. Ramblers/Nordic walkers associations are an obvious one. Cyclists and canoeists - well, if they behave themselves! Different scoring systems obviously, but what does the team think about spreading the word?

Really like that idea. Fancy cycling the challenge. There's masses of empty bcn towpath though if it should be sunny could get quite busy.

MONKEY!!! I can be serious crew!!!

Actually, not surprised you want no one anywhere near your boat this year... biggrin.png

Springy will be going nowhere until probably well into next year given his engine problems!

Were we that bad?

I'll volunteer my locking skills

Is this Challenge going to be a wet one or a dry one ?

I've only done it once but I understand that the BCN challenge is traditionally a "wet" event.

I remember the 4am start on Pelsall common. I was expecting breakfast but was informed that its unwise to eat on an empty stomach and given a large scotch.

.................Dave

I've only done it once but I understand that the BCN challenge is traditionally a "wet" event.

I remember the 4am start on Pelsall common. I was expecting breakfast but was informed that its unwise to eat on an empty stomach and given a large scotch.

.................Dave

These photos don't really do the weather justice on my last BCN Challenge in 2014. I think it still stands as my wettest boating experience yet.

The 3rd photo is everybody drying out once the sun finally came out a couple of hours from the end.

FB_IMG_1446068240763_zpsyquqopny.jpg

FB_IMG_1446068231569_zpssuvojeax.jpg

FB_IMG_1446068251723_zps1m7wfivj.jpg

No, but Au Pairs do!

The Au Pair search is not going well :-(

How hard can it be to find an attractive young lady with prior experience of child care that can cook decent food and likes living on boats... Granted she doesnt have to be attractive, but we have been told by others not to employ a fatty - they cost more to feed.

Strangely enough we have had one lady message us who has her own boat...

Granted she doesnt have to be attractive, but we have been told by others not to employ a fatty - they cost more to feed.

If I was getting paid £50 or so a week to take care of someone's kids full time, you'd better believe I'd eat everything you had.

Edited by Starcoaster

If I was getting paid £50 or so a week to take care of someone's kids full time, you'd better believe I'd eat everything you had.

I think for 50 quid a week you would be most welcome to. Top end does seem to be 150 tho with acomodation and food. Still, cheaper than nursery and I can come back to a warm boat..

Will see what happens, I have a distinct feeling it may well be a matter of diverting phones to my mobile and being a work from home dad... I can but hope.

As for the challenge, I think I can work it to 'accidently' be at the right place at the right time. She won't know until we are competing...

Ps. Alan have you read narrowboat world? Would seem you are famous...