So many spiders!

Roadrunner

Featured Posts

Conkers are supposed to work, but then if you have spiders I was also told your boat wasn't damp!

Can't say that I have found that conkers make any difference, or am I supposed to challenge each one to a game and hope that if they loose they will leave hanging their heads in shame

Got some "no more spiders" to try and get rid of them and done around the doors with "spider x", hopefully it works.

Spider x is astonishingly good but astoundingly pricey so use it in the obvious places, also use Raid (the red tin) directly at them, they curl and die instantly. My walls had an interesting spray pattern for a while...

however! the big ones shrug it off and disappear fast! ..and when they've vomited for a bit come back and wreak revenge!... best advice for those is bash them with the tin

and if you cant bash, then this is the only way to deal with them

spider.jpg

Edited by Chagall

If you look at your expensive bottle of spider repellent you will notice it contains extract of horse chestnut. Oddly enough so do conkers!

Conkers will work providing there are enough of them and they are in a small space that is kept closed up for decent periods. I have three small dishes of conkers on our boat and some small drawstring bags (the type that came with washing detergent tablets- one hung at each window with as many conkers as will fit in them.

I replaced our conkers with fresh ones a couple of weeks ago and when we return to the boat I can guarantee it will be spider free. It will stay that way for a good few months, how many depending on how much we use the boat and how often we have the doors and windows open. They usually last pretty well through until spring then as summer proceeds they start to lose their effectiveness. That might be due to us having the doors and windows open a lot more or it might be because the natural oils in the conkers have all evaporated.

It does not work in our house though - just in compact spaces

The key thing with spider repellant is to sell it to people and make a profit. What better than putting a known folk remedy in it, like conkers

I don't think that guarantees it works better than conkers, or at all

Richard

Most of the paint docks I work in have a healthy spider population, they tend to live in the roof voids and are prone to leaving droppings on freshly painted roofs, much to the chagrin of the poor painter working there. We get the occasional ones on Resolute though I can't say that they are much of a problem, I think that their benefits outweigh their disadvantages in my book.

Dave

I like them. I especially like opening the front doors in the morning and seeing the marvellous web that the clever wee things have woven overnight. Then of course I have to walk through it to reach the towpath.

Spider x is astonishingly good but astoundingly pricey so use it in the obvious places, also use Raid (the red tin) directly at them, they curl and die instantly. My walls had an interesting spray pattern for a while...

however! the big ones shrug it off and disappear fast! ..and when they've vomited for a bit come back and wreak revenge!... best advice for those is bash them with the tin

and if you cant bash, then this is the only way to deal with them

spider.jpg

I think that's the funniest thing I've seen for a while!

We have a rubber spider on a fishing line in our kitchen, behind the ceiling strip light. When we have visitors I nip behind the chimney and let it silently down to come close to their faces. Have had a few screams!

(yes, yes, childish, I know...)

The key thing with spider repellant is to sell it to people and make a profit. What better than putting a known folk remedy in it, like conkers

I don't think that guarantees it works better than conkers, or at all

Richard

But Spider Ex does work ... it was developed for the cctv and alarms industry http://spiderex.co.uk I dont see conkers in the data sheet info unless its in the perfume they add.

I have heard mention both in this thread and other places about spider shite messing up everything from paint to curtains.

How do you know this? Genuine question. I have never spotted a spider squatting up and curling one out, so how do you know that spider crap is the culprit?

I have visions of them hanging their asses off a beam in a paint dock to poop on the paint at the moment...

I have heard mention both in this thread and other places about spider shite messing up everything from paint to curtains.

How do you know this? Genuine question. I have never spotted a spider squatting up and curling one out, so how do you know that spider crap is the culprit?

I have visions of them hanging their asses off a beam in a paint dock to poop on the paint at the moment...

little black spots