Solid Hardwood Worktops ?

GreyLady

Featured Posts

We have black granite in the Galley and the Bathroom. I use my Karcher Window Vac to dry it off when its been wiped down or you will always see the water marks on it.

Or you could use a dry tea towel and some elbow grease. Works well for us, and doesn't need batteries

Might be worth investing in a water softener to reduce the water marking problem.

Does anyone really have one of those on a boat that actually works? I've tried the magnets and the electrical devices that go around the pipe but they're all useless.

Edited by blackrose

We have black granite in the Galley and the Bathroom. I use my Karcher Window Vac to dry it off when its been wiped down or you will always see the water marks on it.

Granite looks great but be aware you'll break more porcelain!

One boat builder we were looking at wanted £1900 extra to upgrade from hardwood.

Bit bloody steep me thinks. Lol

Thanks for your help

Edited by GreyLady

Junckers Rustic Oil was recommended to me by a friend who used to be a high-end cabinetmaker; he used it on his solid wood kitchen worktops, I used on our beech dining table for years, hardwearing, heatproof, waterproof, looks good, easy to refinish.

• Greenie 1

Junckers Rustic Oil was recommended to me by a friend who used to be a high-end cabinetmaker; he used it on his solid wood kitchen worktops, I used on our beech dining table for years, hardwearing, heatproof, waterproof, looks good, easy to refinish.

cheers IanD

Does anyone really have one of those on a boat that actually works? I've tried the magnets and the electrical devices that go around the pipe but they're all useless.

Ion exchange filters (syrup catalyst and salt) - the type used by most publicans works well but is a bit messy to operate. The only other type I have tried with any success is the inline disposable cartridge type - basically a trade version of a brita filter - which also does the job well and probably the only realistic option for a boat. As you have discovered the magnet and electrical devices are pretty useless.