Solid Hardwood Worktops ?

GreyLady

Featured Posts

We are going to look at a new boat on display next week, after reading their build optional extra's list they state it would cost an extra £1800 for Granite Worktops as apposed to £495 for Solid Hardwood Worktops.

Are Solid Hardwood Worktops ok in a Narrowboat and do they last ?

I was also wondering if they stain with normal use ?

thanks for any answers.

What you have fitted in a narrowboat will be just the same as what you have in a kitchen in a house. You pays your money and takes your choice

If wooden worktops are looked after and kept well oiled then they do not stain. I have had bamboo in my kitchen for 4 years and it still looks as good as the day it was fitted - in fact better, it has now developed a nice patina from use.

What you have fitted in a narrowboat will be just the same as what you have in a kitchen in a house. You pays your money and takes your choice

If wooden worktops are looked after and kept well oiled then they do not stain. I have had bamboo in my kitchen for 4 years and it still looks as good as the day it was fitted - in fact better, it has now developed a nice patina from use.

Thanks for the advice, I have to say Bamboo Wood is my favourite and it looks lovely and light in the Narrowboats weve seen.

We are going to Mercia to look at a 57ft Hanbury, I hope they have build slots free.

As above...Wood needs a bit of TLC...mainly not letting water soak into it, so a wipe down around the sink that sort of thing. Rub down and a bit of oil when marked or to brighten. Be careful of hot pans, cups etc...

I have granite though at home and would recommend that. You really need not give it a second thought to look after it. But it isn't cheap...

We went for beech hardwood,nice and light £78 for 3mt length at B@Q so I don't know where they get £495 from,

we have given it 3 coats of Danish oil and it looks great, but will need doing twice a year, well worth the effort as it really brings out the grain.

Neil

I have butcher's block type hardwood worktops in my kitchen and they're fine. You'll need to oil or treat them every few years but apart from that there's no issue. Granite turns the boat into too much of a modern luxury flat for my liking - but that's just personal preference. The problem some people have with granite is that if it's all on one side it may need extra ballast on the other side.

Wood is kinder to kitchen implements put down on it especially knives.You don't need chopping boards for veg if you don't mind the occasional sanding and re-oiling. Or do as butchers do a wire brush and very hot water at the end of the day.

Also...may I point out that with a wood worktop then you don't get condensation on it....I believe you would with stone, synthetic...?

Never ever seen condensation on any of our three Corian (synthetic) worktops.

A couple of boat builders have said that granite tops can crack when the boat is lifted out of the water. Is this just apocryphal or has it actually happened?

Edited by pearley

Never ever seen condensation on any of our three Corian (synthetic) worktops.

A couple of boat builders have said that granite tops can crack when the boat is lifted out of the water. Is this just apocryphal or has it actually happened?

And also in the event of "contact" with locks, other boats etc? Never heard of it actually happening but went for wood anyway. We got Iroku surfaces from Worktops Express, very happy with the service, price and product...

If you go for wood I would use 30mm thick boards. Less weight but it looks a bit more elegant, for want of a better word. 40mm is ok for long runs but looks a bit heavy in small kitchens, and it's cheaper. Osmo Top Oil is by far the best finish. I've used it at my house and done nothing to it for a year and it still looks good.

Steve P

Good quality high density chipboard work tops will last for years if fitted and looked after properly!

In fact I would say the surface of a good quality chipboard work top is easier to live with than a solid one.

if do decide on solid, ovoid oak worktops - they go black with moisture eventually.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Good quality high density chipboard work tops will last for years if fitted and looked after properly!

In fact I would say the surface of a good quality chipboard work top is easier to live with than a solid one.

if do decide on solid, ovoid oak worktops - they go black with moisture eventually.

Not if you look after then in the same way as high density chipboard they won't. ?

And also in the event of "contact" with locks, other boats etc?

A boat I know of was picked up and thrown against the gates by a very deceptive lock. All the stuff that had fallen over was picked up and no more thought of it - until the following morning when it was noticed that the standard melamine/chipboard work surface had moved about an inch, ripping out its fastenings. A result of its significant mass being in the same plane as the rapid deceleration.

I dread to think what the result would have been with a granite worktop. It would probably have taken out the bulkhead.

Not if you look after then in the same way as high density chipboard they won't.

To a point. Oak still goes black eventually especially in the corners.

Point I was trying to make is that solid wood is not necessarily better than good quality resin coated chipboard under normal use..

whilst Both detiorate if allowed to get overly wet, solid oak stains more easily - black - which is more difficult to remove than some other finer grade hard woods.

From experience I would not use solid oak anywhere near sources of wet.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

We went for beech hardwood,nice and light £78 for 3mt length at B@Q so I don't know where they get £495 from,

we have given it 3 coats of Danish oil and it looks great, but will need doing twice a year, well worth the effort as it really brings out the grain.

Neil

I would recommend avoiding beech tops, as they tend to spalt badly unless you oil very regularly. They get affected by water, and end up going spongy with black lines running through the wood.

We had beech at a previous house, ( it did look fantastic when new ) but wouldn't want it again, especially on a boat.

Thanks for everyones reply's, much appreciated.

I guess the Solid Hardwood Work Tops could be replaced if get nackered.

I prefer the look of Granite Worktops though, especialy black.

We have black granite in the Galley and the Bathroom. I use my Karcher Window Vac to dry it off when its been wiped down or you will always see the water marks on it.