I need your help

Dave_P

Featured Posts

My first interaction with this forum was when I was studying for a Master's Degree and was writing my thesis on a canal related topic. I came here to ask forumites to fill in a questionnaire which many of you did.

Three years on and I'm (stupidly) doing another postgrad degree. I'll be doing another thesis on a canal theme which you may here more about later. For now I need some information.

Could you let me know which specific areas of towpath have been 'upgraded' in the last two years. In my home patch of Birmingham I'm aware of significant upgrades which have occured on many towpaths within the Birmingham City Council area. These have replaced bumpy, muddy towpaths which high quality tarmacced surfaces. I know this has happened elsewhere but I would love to have a list of specific sites.

Thanks on advance.

Have you asked CRT? It's the sort of thing they are likely to have a record of, if only for publicity purposes

Richard

I will be asking CRT, sustrans and LAs but I was interested in tapping into the knowledge of forum members initially. There have been many threads on here where people have argued the rights and wrongs of towpath improvements but I suspect some people have given those views without having experienced the relevant areas. Armchair commentators, if you will.

The Stourbridge Arm from the visitor moorings to Wordsley Junction at the bottom of the Stourbridge 16. I understand that further work is planned along the towpath adjacent to the flight. The gravelled paths that pre-dated them were a source of plenty of umpnwanted footprints!

Dave

All along the Caen Hill flight, it certainly wasn't the current surface when I walked along there in the 80's. No idea though when it was upgraded to race track condition.

Most of the canals around Birmingham now seem to have a hard surface, last sections I've seen being worked on were the Worcester Birmingham and along through Bordesley Junction to Salford Junction.