A "Bulk" on a early GUCCCo motor boat - is this unique?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Incidentally Laurence says .... Cowburn & Cowperr

Google suggests .................... Cowburn & Cowper

HNBC confidently spell it ....... W H Cowburn & Cowpar

CRT Heritage Boats also go ...Cowburn & Cowper

I think HNBC are correct.

Either that or a forum member is going to be feeling embarrassed!

CIMG9073.JPG

It was W H Cowburn & Cowpar Ltd in the 1930s:

v0_web.jpg

from http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw192.3.2.1.23.39 Dated 1935

v0_web.jpg

http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw192.3.1.2.14.2

In Laurence's photo of The Cowburn and Cowpar boat emerging from Harecastle I've magnified the image 400% to try and read the warning roundel on the tunnel barrier, to no avail.

It looks like "SAT OAP". I imagine the first bit is 5ft .... or perhaps it is SAT OAP???

Is it not just "STOP" ?

Silly question. maybe, but I genuinely don't know......

Is there a normal deck board hidden away behind the bulk, so that it it is just an additional adornment, or is the deck board omitted, (in which case what supports the top planks?).

Yes, the deck board remains in situ

I was lead to believe (which means nothing at all) that the deck board remains and the bulk itself is straw. The clever bit being the prior sewing up of the canvas to maintain the shape once the straw's been stuffed in.

Somebody please shoot me down and destroy 45 years of long-held belief.

Edited once upon a twice to add that Tam Murrell back in 2009 explained with wise words: - http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20947&p=346145

Damn! I just spet 15 minutes unsuccessfully looking for that photo of our b(a)ulk clapping.gif. Sorry, but no staw.

I love the dog, I bet it wasn't allowed in the back cabin too often.

Apologies again, but in the context of working craft "back" becomes irrelevant - it's just "the cabin".

Tam

I was lead to believe (which means nothing at all) that the deck board remains and the bulk itself is straw. The clever bit being the prior sewing up of the canvas to maintain the shape once the straw's been stuffed in.

Somebody please shoot me down and destroy 45 years of long-held belief.

I like them and think they're groovy, although it made jumping down onto the foredeck from the top of the cratch next to impossible and passing around the side of it a tad heart stopping also.

In Laurence's photo of The Cowburn and Cowpar boat emerging from Harecastle I've magnified the image 400% to try and read the warning roundel on the tunnel barrier, to no avail.

It looks like "SAT OAP". I imagine the first bit is 5ft .... or perhaps it is SAT OAP???

Edited once upon a twice to add that Tam Murrell back in 2009 explained with wise words: - http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20947&p=346145

I'll correct that when I'm next doing an update to the web site, I've not noticed that spelling mistake previously.

Just to continue the Chemical thread

William Henry Cowburn was a partner in the Cowpar Chemical Chemical Compay, which the Cowburn family retained control as suppliers of chemicals such as Hydrochloric. William Henry Cowburn had other related interests which were controlled by W. H Cownburn, both became limited companies which merged about 1916 to form W.H Cowburn and Cowpar Ltd. It was their traffic of Carbon DiSulphide from Trafford Park which involved both road haulage and narrow boats.

Ray Shill

Edited by Heartland

Just to continue the Chemical thread

William Henry Cowburn was a partner in the Cowpar Chemical Chemical Compay, which the Cowburn family retained control as suppliers of chemicals such as Hydrochloric. William Henry Cowburn had other related interests which were controlled by W. H Cownburn, both became limited companies which merged about 1916 to form W.H Cowburn and Cowpar Ltd. It was their traffic of Carbon DiSulphide from Trafford Park which involved both road haulage and narrow boats.

Ray Shill

And I'm sure I've read somewhere that "Cowpar" is a combination of "Cowburn" and "Parkinson", Parkinson being the other original partner in the Cowpar business. So when the companies merged to form Cowburn and Cowpar, the Cowburn name was represented in both parts.