Strange sight on the South Oxrord

Nic&Ann

Featured Posts

Sorry,I didn't realise there had been a previous thread on this,be interesting to know CRT's view on it!

CRT can't have a view on a boat on a private pond in a private field. They might however have a view on breaching the canal bank to float the boat into said pond and then backfilling.

Why would someone do that, is it just some where to live and avoiding license fees?

We have been past it a couple of times. There used to be a few boats moored offside there, but this is the only one now. You can only assume it has been done to avoid licence etc, but you would have thought that CRT would have taken action.

I've been told that the boat owner also owns the land that it's on/in, so he's not trespassing. As the canal is still full of water and the field isn't, one may conclude that he has not done any damage to the bankside.

I do like the "Stop" sign which he's planted on top of the big mound of earth. Laughed about it when we went past earlier in the year.

While we are all speculating wink.png

I believe that the land owner has had some disagreements with BW/CRT, only hearsay

Another speculation, maybe there are pipes connecting the 'pond' the canal.

I may possibly conclude the bank and canal bed have been damaged.

Now what else can I speculate.

biggrin.png

While we are all speculating wink.png

I believe that the land owner has had some disagreements with BW/CRT, only hearsay

Another speculation, maybe there are pipes connecting the 'pond' the canal.

I may possibly conclude the bank and canal bed have been damaged.

Now what else can I speculate.

biggrin.png

I can speculate, and hope, that as a minimum, and at the landowners expense, CRT have thoroughly inspected the integrity of the clay puddle in this area.

George ex nb Alton retired

I can speculate, and hope, that as a minimum, and at the landowners expense, CRT have thoroughly inspected the integrity of the clay puddle in this area.

George ex nb Alton retired

And some might further speculate that restoring the integrity of the clay puddling after hacking a large chunk of it out would quite difficult using just a JCB.

CRT can't have a view on a boat on a private pond in a private field. They might however have a view on breaching the canal bank to float the boat into said pond and then backfilling.

It's pretty certain that CRT would not have given permission for breaking through the bank to the landowner's field. The landowner would also need permission to cross the Ransom strip, even to get the boat out of the field. CRT's responsibility for the offside bank maintenance would be a real liability and they keep their main responsibilities limited to the main navigable channel, which has been discussed in a recent thread.

Excavating the bank could have caused damage to the clay on the canal and it is irresponsible to go willy-nilly cutting out holes in the bank.

CRT not only have no right to charge a boat on private land for a boat licence, but CRT also do not have a right to charge boats a licence that moor in private marinas.

Edited by Higgs

It's pretty certain that CRT would not have given permission for breaking through the bank to the landowner's field. The landowner would also need permission to cross the Ransom strip, even to get the boat out of the field. CRT's responsibility for the offside bank maintenance would be a real liability and they keep their main responsibilities limited to the main navigable channel, which has been discussed in a recent thread.

Excavating the bank could have caused damage to the clay on the canal and it is irresponsible to go willy-nilly cutting out holes in the bank.

CRT not only have no right to charge a boat on private land for a boat licence, but CRT also do not have a right to charge boats a licence that moor in private marinas.

Christmas is not far away, I wonder if you will get a new bang to drum? :cheers:

True, we pay nothing to CRT as we are in such a marina, which is self watering and provides water to the canal system. I think the owner of the marina should bill CRT for this supply (serious suggestion.)