Canal near Bakewell

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Can you please tell me if there is a canal close to Bakewell.

Thanks

The Cromford to the south, partially navigable, to the north at Whaley Bridge the Peak Forest, also historically not easily found the Compstall Mill navigation (Isolated).

The Cromford canal is navigable but is isolated from the canal network, not sure if this is what's meant by 'partially navigable'.

So the nearest place accessible from the canal network south of Bakewell would be Langley Mill on the Erewash.

Unless the restoration group has made significant progress since my last visit there a few years ago.

The Cromford canal is navigable but is isolated from the canal network, not sure if this is what's meant by 'partially navigable'.

So the nearest place accessible from the canal network south of Bakewell would be Langley Mill on the Erewash.

Unless the restoration group has made significant progress since my last visit there a few years ago.

Several miles at the top (Cromford) end are navigable but I'm not sure there are any boats at all on it. There used to be a trip boat, not sure if such a service has started up again.

I think the restoration society has progressed a little way beyond Langley Mill basin, but the presence of an effing great dual carriageway across the canal's former line has proved a hindrance. I walked much of the old line a few years ago and quite a bit of it is in water and looks as if a boat could appear through a bridge at any moment.

Edited by Athy

Does SSI designation automatically mean boats are banned?

No, but they can be restricted which leaves the anglers undisturbed to hack fishing platforms through the weeds, discard bait, old line etc., with impunity.

Me, bitter about the Ashby, Nah!

George ex nb Alton retired

I would disagree about which part of navigable canal is closest. The Cromford is probably just closer but Tapton Lock on The Chesterfield Canal is about the same distance and certainly closer than either Bugsworth or Sheffield basin, both of which are around 4-5 miles further away.

The longest length of SSSI in the country is between Retford and Misterton on The Chesterfield Canal. We moor our boat on this stretch and have not experienced it being restrictive to boating at all.

Edited by cheshire~rose

I would disagree about which part of navigable canal is closest. The Cromford is probably just closer but Tapton Lock on The Chesterfield Canal is about the same distance and certainly closer than either Bugsworth or Sheffield basin, both of which are around 4-5 miles further away.

The longest length of SSSI in the country is between Retford and Misterton on The Chesterfield Canal. We moor our boat on this stretch and have not experienced it being restrictive to boating at all.

I would agree with Tapton lock but tis still isolated so you can't navigate "to it" from the rest of the network.

We do Retford to Misterton quite regular and agree being an SSSI is no hinderance at all. In fact we are just about to set off from Retford so will be passind your boat shortly ??

I don't know if you saw the photo of your boat alongside Python in West Stockwith lock? But it was me that took it ( before anyone starts I know that is bad grammer ?)

There is an (electric) trip boat from Cromford, very pleasant too. The canal is now a SSSI so unlikely that other boats will ever traverse it again.

When did that start up? We left the area in 2006 and it wasn't in operation then, though the top end of the canal looked neatly maintained on the occasions that we visited it.

I would say that it's highly likely that other boats will be seen again at Cromford, but not until the whole line from Langley Mill is reopened - and there's a filthy great collapsed tunnel in the way at Butterley, so don't hold your breath.

When did that start up? We left the area in 2006 and it wasn't in operation then, though the top end of the canal looked neatly maintained on the occasions that we visited it.

I would say that it's highly likely that other boats will be seen again at Cromford, but not until the whole line from Langley Mill is reopened - and there's a filthy great collapsed tunnel in the way at Butterley, so don't hold your breath.

"Birdswood" started up a year or more ago now. It is an electrically powered butty. It sometimes does horse drawn trips too. I know the Friends of Cromford Canal have had to jump through a great any hoops for it to be allowed to operate on that section.

http://www.cromfordcanal.info/boat/boat.htm

It is a lovely trip though and well worth doing if you are in the area

Edited to add a photo of the boat:

bigboat.jpg

Edited by cheshire~rose

Thanks for that quick response, Chesh. Interesting to see the chap demonstrating the almost forgotten skill of steering a butty in reverse.

Perhaps those who held the hoops for the preservationists to jump through have forgotten why that ditch full of water is there in the first place.

Perhaps those who held the hoops for the preservationists to jump through have forgotten why that ditch full of water is there in the first place.

One does wonder on occasions.

I was fortunate enough to attend a meeting where the lady who runs the boat gave a talk about her experiences. She had never done anything like it before and hearing her describe the steep learning curve she had experienced and knowing the layers of bureaucracy that would have been encountered with a whole raft of different organisations to make it possible to run the thing left me full of admiration for her and the team that make it possible.

Interestingly the next speaker was "our own" Robin Stonebridge, Chair of Chesterfield Canal Trust describing how we manage to run four completely different trip boats on four different areas of The Chesterfield Canal ensuring compliance with two different waterways authorities that require different training for skippers and the sheer quantity of volunteer hours put in to keep those four boats manned and up and running. Although many of the smaller canal societies present were in awe of how we manage to do wjat we do those of us from The Chessie were far more in awe of what they have achieved on The Cromford.