Featured Posts

We're thinking of mooring at Bumble Hole for a night next week.

1) Is this sensible?

2) When people say they've moored at "Bumble Hole" do they mean the Dudley mainline or the Bumble Hole Loop? Is Harris's Yard usable and does it have overnight visitor moorings?

Any advice welcome. 65ft boat.

Thanks.

By Bumble Hole do you mean Windmill End?

IIRC there are bollards outside the visitor centre, on the other side as well and just short of the tunnel, offside.

We've moored there overnight without any problems but, doubtless, someone else will come along and post that when they moored there they were attacked by the restless natives!

Windmill End is a safe mooring, plenty of folks stop there.

To get to the end of the Bumblehome Arm involves removing everything from the roof, I mean everything, even my swingback ariel mounted on the cratchboard was ripped off.

You will then need a shovel for the next 2 hours from the front end - probably the most time expensive 5 points in our BCN challenge this year.

By Bumble Hole do you mean Windmill End?

IIRC there are bollards outside the visitor centre, on the other side as well and just short of the tunnel, offside.

We've moored there overnight without any problems but, doubtless, someone else will come along and post that when they moored there they were attacked by the restless natives!

So have we

If you've got time, take a trip down through Gosty Hill tunnel to Hawne Basin. Exceptionally cheap diesel -- and they'll find you a mooring if you fancy staying the night there.

And they sell the cheapest diesel anywhere on the system probably under 50p lt

The Bumblehole Arm has the lowest bridge on the BCN, I think. Certainly not worth going up there just for an overnight mooring. I started my boating career there in the early 60s, when Harris's were still working. You'll be fine on the stretch from there to the to the junction with the Dudley No 2 branch to the right, either side....and it's not too far from the excellent Ma Pardoes pub in Netherton, splendid ale and food. I'm a local....I know!

Cheers

Dave

Its the lowest bridge that Old Friends has been under, and that includes the Stort and Middle Levels.

Same for Reg. About 3" clearance with everything possible removed.

ISTR there is a boom across the cut shortly after the low bridge which is actually bendy, and can be safety just cruised though as it bends nicely out of the way!

Same for us as well. Cratch board just fitted but tv aerial that sits flat on the top plank doesn't. Would have helped if we didn't have a nearly empty water tank though. I'll vouch for needing a shovel to get through, although I think it's a little deeper now after backing up and takimg several runs in places to get through!

We moored on the bollards opposite the visitor centre on a nice evening in August and despite being the only boat there had no trouble and felt perfectly safe.

Tom

The Bumblehole Arm has the lowest bridge on the BCN, I think. Certainly not worth going up there just for an overnight mooring. I started my boating career there in the early 60s, when Harris's were still working. You'll be fine on the stretch from there to the to the junction with the Dudley No 2 branch to the right, either side....and it's not too far from the excellent Ma Pardoes pub in Netherton, splendid ale and food. I'm a local....I know!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave - Ma Pardoe"s is one of the attractions...

Sounds like we'll give it a go at Windmill End - we're not practising for the BCN challenge - just looking for a safe mooring

Thanks everyone.

Victor - I certainly mean that neck of woods - it was a precise location I was after. I think I mean neat the Visitors' centre having looked again

We have moored overnight on the opposite side as well with no difficulty on a couple of occasions.

Same for us as well. Cratch board just fitted but tv aerial that sits flat on the top plank doesn't. Would have helped if we didn't have a nearly empty water tank though. I'll vouch for needing a shovel to get through, although I think it's a little deeper now after backing up and takimg several runs in places to get through!

We moored on the bollards opposite the visitor centre on a nice evening in August and despite being the only boat there had no trouble and felt perfectly safe.

Tom

Strange as several deep ex working boats go through there regularly Atlas being one of them

Strange as several deep ex working boats go through there regularly Atlas being one of them

It's combination the air draft and the tumblehome that's the issue in my experience. We've got good headroom inside but that that makes Gosty a challenge because the curve of the tunnel roof means that there are areas where, before the rubbing stakes meet the wall, the cabin roof can scrape the brickwork. If the canal level is high or the water tank isn't full it's a real struggle.

This tunnel sounds as though it cause a hell of a lot of damage to your pride and joy.

Your air draught changes all the time and practically speaking, apart from renting a crowd as ballast before attempting to go through the only other thing that I can see it to fill your water and fuel tsnk

Got a tyre round the prop right in the middle of Gosty Hill a couple a year ago.

and if you go to Ma Pardoe's then 4 pints of entire and a cheese cob makes a very nice lunch!

..............Dave

We had no problems in Gosty Hill tunnel or the bridge to Hawne Basin and even the aerial cleared with a good 4-6". The problem is with the bridge to Bumble Hole arm which as mentioned must be the lowest on the BCN.

As to depth on the Bumble Hole arm, I can only say I'm surprised if ex working boats travel that arm regularly due to depth and weed growth making it almost impassable in places. We draw 2'8"+ and came to a complete stop in at least 2 places in the centre of the channel. We did make it through though unlike the Wednesbury old canal a couple of years ago.

Tom

Windmill End is a safe mooring, plenty of folks stop there.

To get to the end of the Bumblehome Arm involves removing everything from the roof, I mean everything, even my swingback ariel mounted on the cratchboard was ripped off.

You will then need a shovel for the next 2 hours from the front end - probably the most time expensive 5 points in our BCN challenge this year.

What he said!