Doggers

brickie

Featured Posts

I thought that might get your attention. But I don't mean that type of dogger I'm talking about joggers with dogs (doggers).How on earth can they clean up after their pets when they jog a100 yards in front of them, they hav'nt got a clue what their pets are depositing on the tow path, and therefore no intention of picking the crap up. Put the dogs on a lead and as soon as their dog stop for a crap it'll stop them in their tracks, and hopefully they will clean up.

Some dog owners are good, some are bad.

Dogs are creatures of habit and a good owner will know how the dogs digestion works so its quite possible that they leave the house, the dog does its stuff in the first minute or two, then they go for a run together..

Some folk do get a bit over the top about picking up poo. I only get about 95%, I am sure she does the odd one when i'm not looking, but when we moor I go round and pick up lots from everybody else so on average we pick up more than we leave behind.

And I'd love a couple quid for everytime I've been shouted at (usually by boaters) who don't understand the difference between a dog having a crap and a girl dog having a wee!

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

Some dog owners are good, some are bad.

Dogs are creatures of habit and a good owner will know how the dogs digestion works so its quite possible that they leave the house, the dog does its stuff in the first minute or two, then they go for a run together..

Some folk do get a bit over the top about picking up poo. I only get about 95%, I am sure she does the odd one when i'm not looking, but when we moor I go round and pick up lots from everybody else so on average we pick up more than we leave behind.

And I'd love a couple quid for everytime I've been shouted at (usually by boaters) who don't understand the difference between a dog having a crap and a girl dog having a wee!

...............Dave

Never been shouted at yet, but we have had a girl dog for 12 months and been glared at for letting her do same.

Some people are just born to be offended.

Always pick up solids though, and like yourself often from other people's dogs.

Edited by Guest

Yep. I've been yelled at for my dog weeing. "Are you going to pick that up?"

"No," I reply. "It's all yours if you want it."

There is currently about 15 dog bags full of shit on the roof of my boat, waiting for a responsible place wherer I can dispose of them. I don't generally leave it on the towpath.

However, I did neglect to pick it up recently. I was yelled at to 'pick it up' by an astonishly aggressive couple, despite the fact that my dog was some 40 yards ahead of me and I already had the bag in my hand.

They actually owe my girlfriend a big thank you, because she's the only reason their car and door handles didn't get smeared with it.

There are a lot of responsible dog owners out there. My issue is specifically with joggers with dogs. They run ahead to leave the dog to catch up and have no idea what the dogs up to.

A lot of bad ones too :(

We see joggers going along with dogs as you describe.

I will always clear area around where Im moored and when used to live in flat would clean up school route through the park. Ive also offered other dog owners bags when they "fail" to see their pooch perform..Im sure they were grateful.......

I cannot see how cyclists who zip around parks and joggers can clear up after their dogs.

I always know when Molly needs to go....searches for ages for just the right place...but then she's on lead most of the time because she hunts and having fished her out of collapsing banks after she's been ratting and walked miles through dense grass I don't let her off now. Thing is if I did I wouldn't always see where she goes for poo cos she clears off hunting.

Just come back to the boat after a dog walk. I agree with the OP with regards to both joggers and cyclists. One other gripe if I may; I am increasingly seeing bags of neatly tied dog pooh hanging in trees along the towpath. Do the "owners" think there is some magical pooh fairy who will come along and put the bag in a bin ?Beggars belief. If you go to the trouble of bagging it take it with you until a bin is found. We keep a wee metal bin inside the cratch where we put the pooh bags until a bin appears. Gripe over, thank you.

I'd love a couple quid for everytime I've been shouted at (usually by boaters) who don't understand the difference between a dog having a crap and a girl dog having a wee!

...............Dave

I always make a point of saying "Are you doing a widdle?" to our dog when she has a wee, to make it a bit clearer to passersby.

"Be Quick" as a command to the dog when she does a number 2, also re-inforces when it is a good place to do it. Our dogs have always tried to find somewhere off the main path do poos.

Just come back to the boat after a dog walk. I agree with the OP with regards to both joggers and cyclists. One other gripe if I may; I am increasingly seeing bags of neatly tied dog pooh hanging in trees along the towpath. Do the "owners" think there is some magical pooh fairy who will come along and put the bag in a bin ?Beggars belief. If you go to the trouble of bagging it take it with you until a bin is found. We keep a wee metal bin inside the cratch where we put the pooh bags until a bin appears. Gripe over, thank you.

I think they don't fancy the idea of carrying a bag of warm poo with them on the two mile walk so they hang it up, intending to collect it on the way back to the car.

Then they conveniently 'forget'.

I think they don't fancy the idea of carrying a bag of warm poo with them on the two mile walk so they hang it up, intending to collect it on the way back to the car.

Have they never heard of Bum Bags ?, I thought thats what were for.

hahaha

post-24819-0-94348200-1445507845.jpeg

Edited by GreyLady

That may be part of it but does that explain the trees/bushes you see festooned with bags which I've come across in some areas.....not sure what thats all about

We walked with the dogs to a taxi meeting point to take us to the vets. Dogs obviously did their business, bagged up. We made the difficult decision to leaves the two bags of dog mess hidden near a bridge, intending to pick up on the way back. Couldn't really take it in the taxi.

We came back a different way!! Yeah! I know. Anyway we walked back down the tow path and collected the bags and disposed of them in doggy bin which was t'other side of bridge. We hadn't seen it earlier.

When we moor up we quite often find mess from other dogs. We feel abliged to pick it up as others will definitely believe it's from our dogs. Don't mind picked up our own dogs mess but find it revolting to pick up others.

I always make a point of saying "Are you doing a widdle?" to our dog when she has a wee, to make it a bit clearer to passersby.

"Be Quick" as a command to the dog when she does a number 2, also re-inforces when it is a good place to do it. Our dogs have always tried to find somewhere off the main path do poos.

Ah yes, when we had a crew of 4 we trained them to respond to "Be Quick" by having a pee and a poo. We would do this if we had to leave them for a while or were going to be cruising for a while. It was easy to do and made for a happier life for both us and the dogs..

I learnt this trick from my uncle though he used the term "Go on, 3 trees"

Phil

And that's another thing, as the wife would say, is flicking the aforementioned pooh into the cut acceptable ? Does it biodegrade ? Depends on what the dog eats I suppose.Doesn't bode well for those of us who fall in.

And that's another thing, as the wife would say, is flicking the aforementioned pooh into the cut acceptable ? Does it biodegrade ? Depends on what the dog eats I suppose.Doesn't bode well for those of us who fall in.

I know that fish,eels and the like will eat the 'poo'.

I have even seen a fox tuck-in to some on the toe path.

Rob....

I understand it is an offence to "pollute the watercourse" or some such like as I was informed the other week while flicking poo in.

To clarify things, I have a dog and religiously pick up after it and bag it. When I stop for the night I scour the towpath for other poo which I flick in the cut. I am blowed if I am going to bag up other people's dog poo, which is what I told the person referred to in my first sentence. Equally, I am not going to leave it there to tread into my boat.

Fish, ducks, swans and geese all poo in the water and there are a lot more of them than dogs.

I also do not like the "flickers in the hedge" merchants. Some dogs are poo eaters and it is bad enough that they eat their own poo let alone possibly worm infested poo from other dogs.

George ex nb Alton retired

I believe someone was fined for flicking dog poo in canal..only stuff to put in canal thats acceptable is water apparently.

I had a think about dog poo..we bag it, we bin it and landfill must be heaving with it.

Im in two minds about disposing of it in ditches unbagged as surely it'll then be as nature intended..provide fertiliser for land and I have seen slugs that seem to snack on it. Perhaps some of us to diligent in clearing up. I don't know.

I believe someone was fined for flicking dog poo in canal..only stuff to put in canal thats acceptable is water apparently.

I had a think about dog poo..we bag it, we bin it and landfill must be heaving with it.

Im in two minds about disposing of it in ditches unbagged as surely it'll then be as nature intended..provide fertiliser for land and I have seen slugs that seem to snack on it. Perhaps some of us to diligent in clearing up. I don't know.

Many years ago we had a small bin type appliance that we bought, which was buried in the soil in our garden. A bit like an elsan toilet it had a fluid added to it, that supposedly broke down the dog excrement into a harmless liquid which was then soaked away by the earth. Seemed to work, but not sure about the "harmless" claim.

I just chuck dog muck down the sewage manhole in the garden now. I will use dog bins if available (have to when boating), but often just as easy to take it home and "sewer" it.