Happy Trafalgar Day everyone!

nipper

Featured Posts

In one of the most decisive naval battles in History, The British fleet under Lord Nelson defeated the combined French and Spanish fleet at the battle of Trafalgar, off the coast of Spain!

Was it worth it?

Discuss?

Nipper

Nelson, dam careless chap, don't you know. Lost eye, arm, life etc....

Hardly factual at all you are expressing an opinion not fact. Interesting that you edited out the rest of my post and apologies from Liverpool council.

It is not just the morals of 50 years ago versus that of today. The events are within living memory many of the people, particularly the children of the time are still alive. There were protests from the people at the time (they must have thought it wrong) and Welsh MPs voted against it but yet the act and dam building went ahead.

The dam was rather more to do with money than needing water. Liverpool did (may still do) sell water from Vrnwy to many other authorities and although the original Vrnwy agreement obliged Liverpool to sell some water onto others Trywelyn maximised the amount for sale. Now that is a fact.

The events are a significant even seminal event in modern Welsh history and for many symbolise the growth in the interest in Welsh culture and the sense of Wales needing to govern Welsh affairs.

None of which addresses my point about northern English culture and heritage being just as important.

Why do so many Welsh (and Scousers) feel they must express this victim mentality?

(That's a serious question, BTW).

I suspect the advent of S4C had a lot more to do with the increased interest in the Welsh language.

The growth of the use and popularity of the Welsh language started a long time before the arrival of S4C!

And I see no-one having a "victim mentality" just that a lot of people in Wales see the systems used to construct both Tryweryn and Vryrynwy rode roughshood over local Planning Laws and people's views.

Edited by Graham Davis

None of which addresses my point about northern English culture and heritage being just as important.

Why do so many Welsh (and Scousers) feel they must express this victim mentality?

(That's a serious question, BTW).

I suspect the advent of S4C had a lot more to do with the increased interest in the Welsh language.

That is because my point had nothing to do with English culture northern or otherwise. All regional culture and needs of the local people is important.

That is the viewpoint that should have been afforded to to the people of Capel Celyn and the Tryweryn valley some thought for the local peoples needs rather than a city in another country (let alone region) wished to have it for their own needs regardless of the local consequences.

The people of Tryweryn were victims of an uncaring civic ambition and greed circumventing a local hearing by going to the UK parliament to pass an act to compulsory take the land.

When you are in a minority be it welsh or welsh speakers in this instance against a dominant partner sometimes you need to shout loudly to be heard.

BTW S4C is of course helping the Welsh language to be maintained and promoted but to say it is what has caused a growth in interest in suggesting that has been the initial catalyst is quite wrong. Many people fought very hard to get the Welsh language embedded in law and a Television channel that would show welsh language content. For instance when the Conservative government reneged on its promise to set up a welsh language channel in 1979 people felt betrayed by an uncaring and untrustworthy "London" government and many refused to pay TV licences and some even went as far as pledging hunger stikes to show the depth of feeling and passion for the right outcome as they saw it. The Government relented and reversing the decision established the S4C channel in 1982.

Edited by churchward