Cyclists. Sorry..

Rufford

Featured Posts

That and the difficulty in identifying thcem when they'd ride off after a collision. In my opinion bicycles should carry registration plates and compulsory 3rd party insurance.

Cars carry registration plates and have compulsory third party insurance. At least they are supposed to!

Cars carry registration plates and have compulsory third party insurance. At least they are supposed to!

Easily checked by using the motor insurance database, either for your own or another's vehicle:

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/askmid.aspx

http://m.askmid.com/mt/www.askmid.com/mobile/

Do you fancy checking the estimated 1.5 million uninsured cars?

No, that's a job for the ANPR cameras. (I know, easily defeated by cloned number plates).

Edited to put certain letters back in the right order.

Edited by cuthound

No, that's a job for the ANPR cameras. (I know, easily defeated by cloned number plates).

Edited to put certain letters back in the right order.

That is getting away from the point which was that "all cyclists should carry registration plates and third party insurance".

Bells are fine as long as you are not deaf. Cyclists have to realise that just sounding a bell is not sufficient, and they need to understand that some people may have a disability.

Special cases like this can easily make the best solution (or any good solution) impractical.

In this case it constrains the choices to something like:

• When approaching pedestrians from behind, cyclists must slow to a near walking pace, and may not require the pedestrians to clear a path for them

Sounds great, but in practice the cyclists who are cause for complaint now will ignore this unreasonable rule, and act exactly as they do now.

A practical solution for this kind of "resource sharing" requirement requires everyone to compromise.

Edited by Gordias

Yes, earlier this evening I was nearly sent flying by a woman with pushchair who suddenly decided to go back the way she had come from.

I demand registration plates and third party insurance for pushchairs.

And out of control children what ever their age

Quite! Should five year olds be required to have registration plates and third party insurance?

Yes.

Given that Bev was hurt yesterday by a little brat of that age hurtling along a pavement, I rather think they should.

Of course, said brat's mother (resplendent in leopard print leggings) felt that Bev should have done more to leap out of the way, because in the collision, little Logan bounced off Bev into a bush.

They train cyclists to be antisocial young round here.

i cycle every day,

i don't have a bell on my bike because if there is anyone in the way i wait behind until there's enough room to pass and then pass slowly,

ringing a bell at someone is rude.

Haha I agree.

Edited by GoodGurl
edited quote