Cyclists. Sorry..

Rufford

Featured Posts

As usual I live and learn

We all do.

Must say it is the "silence" of bikes coming up behind that can cause problems for me, so some kind of sound would definitely help matters.

I had a similar problem with an electric vehicle behind me once, when I was walking across a hospital car park. At least I would have been handy for A&E if it had mowed me down ;)

You sure it was the correct cyclist on day two? they all look the same to me.

it was, we had been moored at linthwaite a couple of days he hared past morning and night i had warned the other boat about it being a race track, he nearly lost his head as he came out of his cratch, really scared him if it had hit him the cyclist would have killed him so for the other boat the end justified the means i suppose

Edited by peterboat

If a speeding cyclist coincides with you mooring your boat, heaving said boat into the side using the centreline can prove an effective traffic calmer too.

Have a greenie......I've used this method on more than one occasion. Sometimes when moored I need to stretch out and recoil my ropes too..........

Cheers

Gareth

That is a magnificent hound. smile.png

In my experience it is fair to say that the majority of cyclists are perfectly OK.

Like most things in life, it takes a minority to give the others a bad name, and it is the antics of the brainless minority that we tend to remember; a feature of the human mind.

I agree, its a minority, just to big a minority, as i drive the roads every day i see so many cyclist that are pig ignorant to the simple ways of the road, jumping lights, rare to see one stop for red lights then risk life and an accident, avoiding lights and use the foot paths, using pedestrian crossing to cross the road to use the foot path, even worse use the pedestrian crossing to cross the to the other side and carry on along the road, so i can believe what they would be like on a tow/foot path, thats another point, are the canals path ways foot path not cycle tracks?

As you say it is what most folk see and remember or complain about, not often folk mention the good they see in what folk have done.

Reason i dont moan much, no point as it will always be in the human way. Oh i cant rant though about some things when need be.

And thanks, yes she is :), my little girl and soon to be deck hand :)

I call it ominously frightening!

LOL at times she can look that way but about as threatening as the stuffed lion she was playing with.

Last time I rang cycle bell, I lost two teeth when the person whacked me in the face with their walking stick, while swearing at me for ringing a F******g bell at them. Apart from that bells are too quite in most cases. A loud bellow works best.

Accepting that you are sharing the space and should fit in with other users instead of expecting them to get out of the way would work too.

I agree, its a minority, just to big a minority, as i drive the roads every day i see so many cyclist that are pig ignorant to the simple ways of the road, jumping lights, rare to see one stop for red lights then risk life and an accident, avoiding lights and use the foot paths, using pedestrian crossing to cross the road to use the foot path, even worse use the pedestrian crossing to cross the to the other side and carry on along the road, so i can believe what they would be like on a tow/foot path, thats another point, are the canals path ways foot path not cycle tracks?

As you say it is what most folk see and remember or complain about, not often folk mention the good they see in what folk have done.

Reason i dont moan much, no point as it will always be in the human way. Oh i cant rant though about some things when need be.

And thanks, yes she is smile.png, my little girl and soon to be deck hand smile.png

LOL at times she can look that way but about as threatening as the stuffed lion she was playing with.

Is she an American Bulldog?

Thumbnail of my bicycle bell.attachicon.gif001.JPG

Yer daft 'apeth :)

e an American BulldogIs sh?

Yer daft 'apeth smile.png

American bull cross with ? we got her when she was a 5 month from a litter of 8 from a dogs home, would you believe she was the runt/last one as she would not walk or do anything. a bit different now OMG.

Last time I rang cycle bell, I lost two teeth when the person whacked me in the face with their walking stick, while swearing at me for ringing a F******g bell at them. Apart from that bells are too quite in most cases. A loud bellow works best.

Bring back the cigarette packet in the rear spokes like we all had as kids.Bikes are just too quiet

perhaps it should become law for boaters to wear high viz jackets and maybe hard hats when not on the boat - now where is my hard hat wink.png

LOL, H&S mite just bring that in one day.

Bring back the cigarette packet in the rear spokes like we all had as kids.Bikes are just too quiet

I did the can of coke or chuppa cup when i had a Grifter :)

perhaps it should become law for boaters to wear high viz jackets and maybe hard hats when not on the boat - now where is my hard hat wink.png

No!

The canal is a navigation by Act of Parliament.

Cyclists and Fisherpeople are the "Johnny Come-Latelys" and personally contribute almost "Bugger All" to the coffers, which seems to be our happy responsibility. cheers.gif

However we live in enlightened times and must magnanimously embrace change in order to include the antisocial elements of their hobbies. It seems to me there is a simple and obvious solution.

Both parties Have a need to be only seen at the last possible moment.

Fisher'ers hide behind bushes and amongst reeds and bullrushes.

Bicycler'ists have a need for speed ... "You don't see me, but here I am"

Only by allowing for their strange desires can we expect them to accept ours, like ...

* Wafting the smell of our cooking dinner wherever we go.

* Chugging along at 4mph, waving and smiling indiscriminately.

* Having 3rd party insurance to compensate others.

* Insisting that we pay for being there.

* Forcing double that amount into others coffers so we can moor.

So in order that we stop our selfless activities with total disregard for other inland waterway users I return to my earlier comment .....

"It seems to me there is a simple and obvious solution."

They both need to be seen, not only so we boaters don't hack them off, but so that they don't fall foul of each other either.

The Solution - All cyclists and Maggot Drowners must tie a large Helium filled balloon to their hats. It needs to be very large in order to remain vertical in wind. Because we need every opportunity to spot them quickly the balloon should be in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head and fluorescent in colour (I like orange)

To allow for Bike'lerists bursting it on the underneath of a bridge or an angler'ist puncturing his balloon during his 3 mile hike to his peg, it should be insisted they carry spare balloons and a tank of Helium.

Just like we carry numerous fire extinguishers when we go out.

All sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

• Greenie 2

American bull cross with ? we got her when she was a 5 month from a litter of 8 from a dogs home, would you believe she was the runt/last one as she would not walk or do anything. a bit different now OMG.

We know somebody with an American Bulldog cross that is just 16 weeks old and its quite big! They are fantastic dogs those American Bulls. I Love 'em smile.png

ps you have obviously done great work with her given her history.

Edited by Guest

I regularly use my bell when cycling on our local shared footpath cycle way t warn pedistrians I am approaching - especially those walking dogs with an extendable leads. I also get regularly abused for using it!

Must admit I don't understand that, but it seems to be a common thing. Damned if you do and all that...

Trouble is that it's taken as a "get out of my way" instead of an "excuse me, may I pass?"

I guess that is the problem. When riding my own bike along the canal i often wonder whether I should or shouldn't sound the bell when approaching folk. I have taken to a couple of dings whilst saying "excuse me please." No probs. to date, but odds on there is going to be somebody who chastises me sometime. Then again I am too old and fat to ride fast, so am only going at a moderate pace.

Edited by Guest

Cycling along the canal can be very pleasant but it's hardly the solution to the obesity problem.

It's a very simple fact: In order to avoid becoming fat you need to use up at least as many calories as you consume. OK, if you go like a bat out of hell along the canal for long enough you might use up as many calories as you might if you went for a shortish run. But really, for cycling to be of any use you need a few hills to get the heart going properly. I'd suggest Blaze Hill near Bollington, for anyone interested.

A few miles pottering along the canal, waving at other passers by, smiling and nodding at moored boaters that you pass: will do bugger all by way of favours, if you're obese.

I guess you stepped backwards as the cyclist was going past you and the cyclist was probrably just as shocked as you even if he was going slow.

Boats bump into each other on the canal all the time so do people in general on the towpath, I dont see the need to start an anti cyclist thread.

Canals are for

Cyclists

Boats

Fishing Anglers

Walkers

Pedestrians

Tourists

Nature lovers

What ever next a thread called 'A Stupid Walker bumps into me as I was Tieing my boat up' ?

Nothing shocks me on this forum anymore.

I remember taking a slight shuffle to the left as I turned around to me right to see what was there as I could sense something.

Because I was turning and the bike was going slowly I didn't really take much of an impact, and I'm a big bloke so shrugged it off. The cyclist did seem rather concerned as another 18 inch and he would have been in the cut.

I am certainly not saying the cyclist was reckless, indeed he was going slow and had pratically stopped when he rode into me. However, it shocked me and it all could have been avoided if he had made his presence known to me.

I'm not wishing to start an anti cyclist rant, we are all on this world to get on, but it really did surprise me and it concerns me that a cyclist could get that close to me with out me hearing him or seeing him. And I have good eyesight and hearing.

Perhaps our grumble with cyclists could be remedied if they were to give a cheery hello upon approaching people.

Or perhaps a solemn sorry after they run into us... in all fairness to the chap on the bike (who didn't apologise) he was probably too shocked, embarrassed and wary of starting an argument to apologise.

Cycling along the canal can be very pleasant but it's hardly the solution to the obesity problem.

It's a very simple fact: In order to avoid becoming fat you need to use up at least as many calories as you consume. OK, if you go like a bat out of hell along the canal for long enough you might use up as many calories as you might if you went for a shortish run. But really, for cycling to be of any use you need a few hills to get the heart going properly. I'd suggest Blaze Hill near Bollington, for anyone interested.

A few miles pottering along the canal, waving at other passers by, smiling and nodding at moored boaters that you pass: will do bugger all by way of favours, if you're obese.

A good hill would cure all of my bodily problems by stopping my heart from beating permanently. Exercise is not a "one size fits all" activity; it is important to find an exercise regime that is beneficial but at the same time sympathetic to any medical problems one may have, and of course advancing years.

And thanks, yes she is :), my little girl and soon to be deck hand :)

Best I have ever seen was a copper on a bike trying to slyly and slowly creep his way through a red light.

I just beeped my horn and shook my head at him and he stopped and found something very interesting to look at on the floor for a minute as I went past.

That memory will make me smile for years.