Cyclists. Sorry..

Rufford

Featured Posts

Walking along the towpath with a Calder & Hebble spike across your shoulders seems to focus cyclists attention. All those I encountered last week were quite courteous, almost apprehensive?

I think it would work on any canal - carrying it not using it.

• Greenie 1

We have recently had a couple of visits to Oxford. The courtesy exhibited amongst the users of the tow path was an absolute delight, even after term started,The cyclists pinged a bell, slowed down and gave way to people on the tow path who in turn made room for the riders in a friendly manner. Many dogs were walking the towpath with their humans and even when they gathered in groups it was a calm and civilised situation with every body allowing for each other.

We did notice Pedestrian Priority notices every so often along the path but there didn't seem to be to be any need for rancorous "assertion of my rights"

Come along peeps is this an answer?

• Greenie 1

Walking along the towpath with a Calder & Hebble spike across your shoulders seems to focus cyclists attention. All those I encountered last week were quite courteous, almost apprehensive?

^ This ,with a windlass in hand too!

I think i mite teach Zig to dislike cyclists/bikes smile.png, they must be as soft in the head as a stuffed animal as they speed away so quick and so god dam ignorant.

`Gone in 60 seconds` i call this pic LOL

20140610_142448_zps578e5376.jpg

20140610_132046_5_zps52ff2e23.jpg

20140612_195542_zps11e66b8b.jpg

That is a magnificent hound. :)

Lots of bad things have been said about the Rochdale on here recently. I was there in the summer and a lot of the towpath is as cycle way. Every cyclist I saw was courteous and used the bell, you could hear them all ringing as they approached the bridge holes ,........ so there are some good ones out there!

In my experience it is fair to say that the majority of cyclists are perfectly OK.

Like most things in life, it takes a minority to give the others a bad name, and it is the antics of the brainless minority that we tend to remember; a feature of the human mind.

We have recently had a couple of visits to Oxford. The courtesy exhibited amongst the users of the tow path was an absolute delight, even after term started,The cyclists pinged a bell, slowed down and gave way to people on the tow path who in turn made room for the riders in a friendly manner. Many dogs were walking the towpath with their humans and even when they gathered in groups it was a calm and civilised situation with every body allowing for each other.

Absolutely. And this is largely because, in Oxford, cycling is normalised - a higher percentage of people cycle in the city (17%) than anywhere else except Cambridge (29%). It's also a nightmare of a city to drive in (this is a good thing, by the way smile.png ), but with excellent bus services, so people are also more likely to be pedestrians than elsewhere.

The result is that there isn't a them-and-us atmosphere. Most probably either you're a cyclist, or your spouse is, or your neighbour - people you get along with. You don't demonise cyclists, because you know some, and they're just like you. There aren't really any "tribes"; people on the towpath relate to each other as people, whether they're cycling or walking or being towed along by a dog or whatever.

Contrast that with the attitudes occasionally displayed here where, to quote from earlier in this thread, "i always find a pole through the spokes stops them nicely". Yes, well done. That must really help.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

Sorry for the thread on cyclists. i just feel this needs posting for completeness. However I had a cyclist run into me yesterday. First thing I knew about it was when he rode into my back.

He was thankfully going slow and had braked, however I just did not see him nor hear him.

The lady holding her centre line on the boat next to me did not look impressed and I dread to think what could have happend if the cyclist had rode into her.

Is it time for compulsory bells on all push bikes?

I guess you stepped backwards as the cyclist was going past you and the cyclist was probrably just as shocked as you even if he was going slow.

Boats bump into each other on the canal all the time so do people in general on the towpath, I dont see the need to start an anti cyclist thread.

Canals are for

Cyclists

Boats

Fishing Anglers

Walkers

Pedestrians

Tourists

Nature lovers

What ever next a thread called 'A Stupid Walker bumps into me as I was Tieing my boat up' ?

Nothing shocks me on this forum anymore.

Edited by GreyLady
  • Greenie 1

Absolutely. And this is largely because, in Oxford, cycling is normalised - a higher percentage of people cycle in the city (17%) than anywhere else except Cambridge (29%). It's also a nightmare of a city to drive in (this is a good thing, by the way smile.png ), but with excellent bus services, so people are also likely to be pedestrians than elsewhere.

The result is that there isn't a them-and-us atmosphere. Most probably either you're a cyclist, or your spouse is, or your neighbour - people you get along with. You don't demonise cyclists, because you know some, and they're just like you. There aren't really any "tribes"; people on the towpath relate to each other as people, whether they're cycling or walking or being towed along by a dog or whatever.

Contrast that with the attitudes occasionally displayed here where, to quote from earlier in this thread, "i always find a pole through the spokes stops them nicely". Yes, well done. That must really help.

Having participated in canoeing, walking, cycling, fishing and narrowboating along canals at various points in my life, I largely agree.

I make no excuses for the morons, but am happy to say they are a minority.

Absolutely. And this is largely because, in Oxford, cycling is normalised - a higher percentage of people cycle in the city (17%) than anywhere else except Cambridge (29%). It's also a nightmare of a city to drive in (this is a good thing, by the way smile.png ), but with excellent bus services, so people are also more likely to be pedestrians than elsewhere.

the owner of boat next to me whilst i was on the Huddersfield narrow had a narrow escape from being run down, the cyclist thought it hilarious. the next day he didnt find it so funny when said boater used said pole on him. for him the end justified the means. no doubt the cyclist will in future slow down whilst passing boats

I guess you stepped backwards as the cyclist was going past you and the cyclist was probrably just as shocked as you even if he was going slow.

Boats bump into each other on the canal all the time so do people in general on the towpath, I dont see the need to start an anti cyclist thread.

Canals are for

Cyclists

Boats

Fishing Anglers

Walkers

Pedestrians

Tourists

Nature lovers

What ever next a thread called 'A Stupid Walker bumps into me as I was Tieing my boat up' ?

Nothing shocks me on this forum anymore.

To be fair to the OP I have had some near misses when walking along the canal, made worse by advancing deafness. I have had bikes speed up behind me and never knew they were there until they brushed passed me, in one case shouting "f**k off!" at my wife when challenged. I remember thinking "You wouldn't have got away with that 30 years ago!"

Then again thousands must have passed me in a safe manner over the years that I have no reason to remember.

I still maintain most cyclists and other groups of canal users are fine though, we have a habit of remembering the bad experiences.

Edited by Guest

the owner of boat next to me whilst i was on the Huddersfield narrow had a narrow escape from being run down, the cyclist thought it hilarious. the next day he didnt find it so funny when said boater used said pole on him. for him the end justified the means. no doubt the cyclist will in future slow down whilst passing boats

Great so now your promoting Assault as the right thing to do.

I hope the cyclists presses charges for it as well.

And people wonder why Boaters dont always have a good name, its the few tossers on boats that give all boaters a bad name and the few tossers on push bikes who give all cyclists a bad name too. - can you see a pattern?

( sorry I am having my say, I am fed up of been shot down on this forum )

To be fair to the OP I have had some near misses when walking along the canal, made worse by advancing deafness. I have had bikes speed up behind me and never knew they were there until they brushed passed me, in one case shouting "f**k off!" at my wife when challenged. I remember thinking "You wouldn't have got away with that 30 years ago!"

I still maintain most cyclists and other groups of canal users are fine though, we have a habit of remembering the bad experiences.

I get what you say catweasel my dads got poor hearing too, I dont know what its like myself.

The cyclists sounds like a toss pot for saying that to your wife.

I guess tossers are everywhere no matter where, I bet you were fumin.

Edited by GreyLady
  • Greenie 3

You sure it was the correct cyclist on day two? they all look the same to me.

Canals are for

Cyclists

Boats

Fishing Anglers

Walkers

Pedestrians

Tourists

Nature lovers

And in this order of priority?

I've just had the email telling me my licence is due for renewal next month.

How many of those on your list will get an 800 quid bill for their use of the waterways and towpaths I wonder?

And in this order of priority?

I've just had the email telling me my licence is due for renewal next month.

How many of those on your list will get an 800 quid bill for their use of the waterways and towpaths I wonder?

Nar they are in random order because they all have equal rights to use the Canal system in one way or another.

Cyclists dont use the Locks that your licence might pay towards, we could be here all day chatting about this and it would only lead onto a heated thread about why cyclists dont pay road tax. - cant be getting into that one.

Whilst it is only a minority of cyclists who cause problems, it is a growing problem. The big groups of cyclists is a new thing on the towpaths. I don't think the towpath is the place for group cycling ( sky ride etc.)

The campaign of painting ducks on the towpath is pretty lame in my opinion. But unfortunately I think it will take a pedestrian getting injured, taking CRT to court and gaining a sucessful outcome. Before any effective action gets taken.

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

And people wonder why Boaters dont always have a good name, its the few tossers on boats that give all boaters a bad name and the few tossers on push bikes who give all cyclists a bad name too. - can you see a pattern?

You are correct but there may be occasions when a boat pole may seem to only available means of defence - what would you do about this [conversation with a cyclist recently]

cyclist "A mate of mine does use the Stava website to do time-trials along the Leeds & Liverpool canal"

me: "what does he do if he meets people walking or boaters mooring up?"

cyclist "shouts at them to get out of the f***ing way"

The cyclist I spoke to was also a boat owner and was in no way defending his mate. I'm all for peace and harmony and agree the many cyclists are fine but some do test your 'tosser' limits.

On the Calder & Hebble you have a genuine reason for carrying it, bit more difficult to argue the need on the GU :-)

Whilst it is only a minority of cyclists who cause problems, it is a growing problem. The big groups of cyclists is a new thing on the towpaths. I don't think the towpath is the place for group cycling ( sky ride etc.)

The campaign of painting ducks on the towpath is pretty lame in my opinion. But unfortunately I think it will take a pedestrian getting injured, taking CRT to court and gaining a sucessful outcome. Before any effective action gets taken.

Regards kris

Perhaps there is a worsening problem. I do believe that selfishness is an increasing problem in our society in general; a trend that seems to have been positively encouraged (oops getting a bit political there.) It is possible to see how this selfishness has increased over the years by observing car drivers for example. but of course there are many more cars on the roads too, hence many more selfish drivers, and whilst these are no doubt a minority we will tend to remember them.

So yes I agree that more cyclists appearing will produce more moronic ones, but also many more considerate ones too.

Not really sure what the answer is. Speed limits have been suggested but how can we realistically police same?

As an aside I have learned one thing: vigilante type actions usually lead to larger problems in the long term.

You are correct but there may be occasions when a boat pole may seem to only available means of defence - what would you do about this [conversation with a cyclist recently]

cyclist "A mate of mine does use the Stava website to do time-trials along the Leeds & Liverpool canal"

The cyclist I spoke to was also a boat owner and was in no way defending his mate. I'm all for peace and harmony and agree the many cyclists are fine but some do test your 'tosser' limits.

Aye true, but I hold on to the belief that tossers were put on this earth to make the decent folk stand out.

I am all for self defence in any situation, but some bloke with a pole waiting for a repeat cyclist coming down towpath is not self defence its assault.

As for time trials on the canal thats just plain stupid, their not a race track their a shared public place.

If I was knocked over on the towpath by a cyclist and it was his/her fault i would not assault them but I would probrably rip a strip off them 'Verbally'.

I have crashed into another cyclist before myself, who was in the wrong = both of us clashing under a blind bridge, we both smiled and laughed. Happy Days.

Lifes to short I would rather smile and get on with the day.

Edited by GreyLady
  • Greenie 2

Perhaps boats should carry a couple of modest "speed-bumps"?

I'm thinking about an inch high, with nicely angled ramps up to a flat surface about six inches wide, so there's no risk to even a fast-moving cyclist, no inconvenience to a civilized cyclist, pram, etc. If anyone felt like "productizing" such a thing, I'd also suggest getting an artist to shade it so it looks higher than it is.

And of course it should be easy to attach it to something so it doesn't get thrown into the water.

Given that it's designed (and, I hope, placed) to be safe even for a fast cyclist, would such a thing be illegal?

Haha you could purchase one of these, that will show em.

I doubt the towpath would be wide enough for this and a Duck Lane though :-/

Hey maybe the Crt could send the Ducks on a Green Cross Code Course, they could stick it on the Bill.

Edited by GreyLady

I'm a human being which means that I share my world with all sorts of people. Some are definitely complete tossers and they come in all walks of life.

But they are a tiny minority and most fellow humans are reasonable and a hell of a lot are still considerate of others.

Take one cyclist I know who regularly uses the local pathways/cycleways/bridlepaths. After a few people being shocked by his bell being "tinged" behind them when they were oblivious to his presence, he acquired and fitted a rather mellow sounding small cow bell which, given the movement of his bike, gives plenty of warning to walkers etc of his approach.
There have been a couple of people who complained about the noise when they were "enjoying a quiet walk" but they usually realised why it was a good idea when he told them why.

He was also the leader of the group who dissuaded a local bike club from running events along the route simply by getting a lot of local walkers and cyclists to trundle along the paths in groups slowing everything down.

As a result and after some discussions, such events are allowed on arranged days and with plenty of notices being displayed along the routes to warn innocent bystanders

Something that the local council (and police) have both approved and been grateful for. (there had been some "friction") and most other users have no problems with this.

There are, as there always will be, some grumblers but by and large the situation is a lot better now.

I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a market for such continuous "early warning devices" on bikes but I'm not the entrepreneurial type.