Linslade base

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

15:33hr 24th October 2015 For the purposes of this topic many references to Lechlade by the OP in fact mean Linslade. I have edited the title and added this note for the avoidance of confusion. Theo

Change of Circumstances mean I am now looking at hiring from Lechlade on the GU. Please advise best transport options from LHR airport. need to arrive mid afternoon to take over boat and get under way . Also I have 2 novice boaters along , able but nervous of lock working ( I shall be at helm ) So I understand north is the better direction to go? We would be looking to travel only as far as Stoke Buerne. Thanks

Edited by Theo
Note to avoid confusion

Me thinks more map reading skills are required, or maybe your reading the map the wrong way up Mate!

Lechlade is on the River Thames, Stoke Buerne is on the Grand Union Canal.

If I've read you post correctly, then I'd suggest a train to Swindon and then either a taxi or bus to Lechlade as there is not a train station at Lechlade. Friends of ours joined us at Lechlade a couple of years ago and the taxi from Swindon was well under £20 as its only about 12 miles away.

From Lechlade you can only travel East / South down to Oxford where you will need to decide to either take the Oxford canal north to join the GU down to Stoke Buerne or continue down the non tidal Thames to join the GU and go north to Stoke Burene.

Somehow I think you've made a mistake with Lechlade though, as you've phrased it as "looking to travel only as far as Stoke Buerne" which is actually a decent sized trip regardless of whichever route you take. A very pleasant trip, but not a short one.

I would also recommend you read the winter stoppages site as well, depending on when you plan on making this trip.

• Greenie 1

If I've read you post correctly, then I'd suggest a train to Swindon and then either a taxi or bus to Lechlade as there is not a train station at Lechlade. Friends of ours joined us at Lechlade a couple of years ago and the taxi from Swindon was well under £20 as its only about 12 miles away.

From Lechlade you can only travel East / South down to Oxford where you will need to decide to either take the Oxford canal north to join the GU down to Stoke Buerne or continue down the non tidal Thames to join the GU and go north to Stoke Burene.

Somehow I think you've made a mistake with Lechlade though, as you've phrased it as "looking to travel only as far as Stoke Buerne" which is actually a decent sized trip regardless of whichever route you take. A very pleasant trip, but not a short one.

I would also recommend you read the winter stoppages site as well, depending on when you plan on making this trip.

Lol. Greenie.

Do you mean Linslade? If so you are presumably hiring with Wyvern Shipping.

Leighton Buzzard station is about a mile away from the base - regular trains from London Euston.

Yes Wyvern is the company . I like their boats, look very comfortable with easy chairs . So I have googled the train from Euston to Leighton Buzzard. Presumably their are fast trains from LHR to Euston ?

Yes Wyvern is the company . I like their boats, look very comfortable with easy chairs . So I have googled the train from Euston to Leighton Buzzard. Presumably their are fast trains from LHR to Euston ?

'Fraid not.

Either Heathrow Express to Paddington and then tube or taxi, or tube to perhaps Victoria and then Euston.

'Fraid not.

Either Heathrow Express to Paddington and then tube or taxi, or tube to perhaps Victoria and then Euston.

Heathrow Express is expensive, and with the changes required to get to Euston, little or no quicker than the tube. From Heathrow take the Piccadilly Line Underground to Green Park and then the Victoria Line to Euston.

Alternatively you can get a coach from Heathrow to Watford Junction then the train to Leighton Buzzard

Tim

Hi,

Actually that's a good idea, I was going to suggest bus from Heathrow to Chesham, change for bus connection to Berko, then train to Leighton Buzzard.

All good regular sevices.

So we have booked our holiday with Wyvern Shipping , ( odd name , not really a ship) Their boats really do look a cut above , we shall see. Plan on traveling north from Leighton Buzzard, Have looked at their brochure and one or two of the photos there appear to show narrow locks , but I understand he GU to be a wide canal, So which is correct ??

So we have booked our holiday with Wyvern Shipping , ( odd name , not really a ship) Their boats really do look a cut above , we shall see. Plan on traveling north from Leighton Buzzard, Have looked at their brochure and one or two of the photos there appear to show narrow locks , but I understand he GU to be a wide canal, So which is correct ??

There are narrow locks on the Grand Union on the Aylesbury and Northampton Arms and on the Leicester line, all of which can be done on a holiday from Wyvern.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

It's not that wide at the Wyvern base in Lechlade with boats moored 3 abreast across the canal. In fact we have recently seen a wide beam struggle to get through there.

Must have been a really big one, we are 11ft and have been past there a few times with no problems and there were boats tied up 3 abreast at the time. We've even turned there a couple of times...without the assistance of bow thrusters wink.png

smiley_offtopic.gif

Must say on a side note, we got the best pump out ever from the Wyvern base, I know lots of folks moan about them, but the service we received was Great and would recommend them without hesitation.

It's not that wide at the Wyvern base in Lechlade with boats moored 3 abreast across the canal. In fact we have recently seen a wide beam struggle to get through there.

I struggled to get through Monday morning. In fact I could not get through. The boats were four abreast. They stood on the bank looking, but doing sod all.

When they realised I was taking pics, they decided to shufty things about a bit.