The end of the Thames Lock Ladders!

nipper

Featured Posts

That sounds about right...

And you were lucky to even see a Lockie. Six locks today and only one manned...

And i came off the Kennet and Avon to pass the only manned lock?

Bums, still i had to pay for a Visitors licence sometime!

Nipper

That sounds about right...

And you were lucky to even see a Lockie. Six locks today and only one manned...

It's Winter Innit - no central heating in the lock 'offices' so.....

Anyway there's ** all traffic on t'River, so why have staff waiting, waiting, waiting.

Those that are using, are seasoned boaters (like your goodself) who revel in pushing the buttons...

It's Winter Innit - no central heating in the lock 'offices' so.....

Anyway there's ** all traffic on t'River, so why have staff waiting, waiting, waiting.

Those that are using, are seasoned boaters (like your goodself) who revel in pushing the buttons...

Yes this seems consistent with my experience last weekend come down from Oxford to Reading. Virtually all the locks were displaying 'self service' boards yet at many, but only after I'd moored and walked up to work the lock, a lockie appeared seemingly surprised to see me.

So swerving off topic, why do Thames lockies now seem to leave the 'Self service' signs up even when they are on duty?

Yes this seems consistent with my experience last weekend come down from Oxford to Reading. Virtually all the locks were displaying 'self service' boards yet at many, but only after I'd moored and walked up to work the lock, a lockie appeared seemingly surprised to see me.

So swerving off topic, why do Thames lockies now seem to leave the 'Self service' signs up even when they are on duty?

I believe they leave the self service boards up because that way they don’t have to keep changing them each time they attend to the weirs, tend to the gardens , mann a second or even a third lock. That way it is a pleasant surprise when they come to give you a hand.

I see’d you near Cleeve lock the other day, your boat sounded rather nice as it chugged by.

Fred

Have you ever tried it?

Tie a life belt with a fair length of warp and see if you can get it near the casualty!

Only, mind your end of the line because you might just get caught on what your trying to remember!tongue.png

Nipper

It seems i and my boat have been on the Southern news!

Now thats a first!

Nipper

Yep dozens of times.

Was a standard practice for our crews on the yachts and on the safety boats

They are also standard kit on the kayaking and canoe expeditions I've been on and led

The RNLI use them as well

I wouldn't even think about the lifebelt system. It's unmanageable even with spare crew .

They are designed to keep people afloat WHILST you get back to them to use a throwline.

Crew recovery should be basic training for anyone who goes out on a boat even on the cut never mind rivers and open water

And it should be practised regularly. After all it might be you that goes over the side.

The answer by DRAKE is correct but also the new boards are not as easy to flip as the old ones so sometimes it needs the gates open to slide the self serve / lockie on duty in or outm ( once the lock has been removed ) so it's often easier to leave them especially as there is no service guarantee.

Yesterday every lock I went through was manned which was almost unsettling .

Paul

There's a word I'm looking for

I'm sure it sounds like a word for those things you put oars in.

I blame my age and fading memory unsure.png

I suspect you can't remember the word because you've hauled the heaving line back and thrown it again

Richard

Its interesting that the BSS insist that all boats carry fire extinguishers when it is now considered dangerous for an untrained person to use them!

I strongly suspect there are many companies about, and likely the fire brigade themselves, able to provide basic fire extinguisher training at a reasonable cost.

I have done such a course, its great fun and very useful. Trying to put out a fuel fire with an extinguisher (that was much larger than those on most boats) was a sobering experience.

............Dave

Its interesting that the BSS insist that all boats carry fire extinguishers when it is now considered dangerous for an untrained person to use them!

I strongly suspect there are many companies about, and likely the fire brigade themselves, able to provide basic fire extinguisher training at a reasonable cost.

I have done such a course, its great fun and very useful. Trying to put out a fuel fire with an extinguisher (that was much larger than those on most boats) was a sobering experience.

............Dave

Yes the best use for those extinguishers we use on the boats is to braek a window to get out

Yes the best use for those extinguishers we use on the boats is to braek a window to get out

I've always understood that the extinguishers are there to aid escape by buying you a few minutes of time, not to fight the fire as such.

To repeat the advice from the Wilts F&RS guy who checked our boat: "Get out, stay out, call us out."

I've always understood that the extinguishers are there to aid escape by buying you a few minutes of time, not to fight the fire as such.

To repeat the advice from the Wilts F&RS guy who checked our boat: "Get out, stay out, call us out."

Me to - but there seems to be less and less incentive to actually use them.

I'm a Fire Warden at work - I've been shown the video on how to use fire extinguishers (it's now considered too dangerous to train using a real fire). But the ruling from building management is more and more turning to "If (and only if) you are trapped in a corner, no one else is around, the fire is becoming more intense and you are really, really convinced you are going to die then consider using the extinguisher".

I'm not sure if there are credible stories of amateurs being injured (or worse) fighting small fires or this is more of the "We can't take the risk of an employee being injured putting out a fire in the waste basket" brigade.

Me to - but there seems to be less and less incentive to actually use them.

I'm a Fire Warden at work - I've been shown the video on how to use fire extinguishers (it's now considered too dangerous to train using a real fire). But the ruling from building management is more and more turning to "If (and only if) you are trapped in a corner, no one else is around, the fire is becoming more intense and you are really, really convinced you are going to die then consider using the extinguisher".

I'm not sure if there are credible stories of amateurs being injured (or worse) fighting small fires or this is more of the "We can't take the risk of an employee being injured putting out a fire in the waste basket" brigade.

If ever you get a chance to try an extinguisher on a real fire in controlled conditions take it, I would suggest to do any good on a real fire, more than you could throw a bucket of water on you want something like a 6Kg one. The speed they run up or puff is alarming.

edit to add

There is also a degree of skill required to put out the fire quickly but I am sure some of the ex firefighters will be along soon.

Edited by ditchcrawler