Reading doesn't want boaters anymore!

nipper

Featured Posts

If it's next to the canal CRT own the land under the water on either side.

If this is the argument being presented lets be very dubious here as how far are these people going to push the boundaries to prevent boats from mooring!

Wow Ana, we are talking about the river Thames here!

If it's next to the canal CRT own the land under the water on either side.

If this is the argument being presented lets be very dubious here as how far are these people going to push the boundaries to prevent boats from mooring!

Just so you know, the River Thames isn't a canal and isn't administered by CRT.

I give permission to untie the ropes of all boats that have been there more than 24 hours, and give them a shove into the current.

Has no-one come up with this?: drop your partner off at the bank, then drop anchor in the river 2 feet from the shore.

Just so you know, the River Thames isn't a canal and isn't administered by CRT.

Yes and on the Thames any riparian owner (with the possible exception of the EA at recognised visitor mooring sites??) has the right to prohibit boats from mooring or even loitering or anchoring on or near their land. Obviously an alternative is to charge mooring fees like they do in Henley and many other places. Alternative is "sorry no mooring please" as they do near Culham Court downstream of Henley..

Sadly certain places have been "squatted" quite aggressively over the last decade or two and the technique used to move the squatters on has a negative impact on normal leisure boaters :(

Even if the Thames is transferred to CRT at some point the situation will not change because of who owns the riverbanks and riverbed.

Emerald Fox :

People tend to think you can anchor off private land as a way to avoid mooring prohibitions but I think there is a byelaw which actually says you aren't even allowed to annoy a riparian owner. They get a lot of legal protection for obvious reasons.

Edited by magnetman

The riparian owner does in fact own the river bed as well (above staines)

I was once out in the dinghy dragging my magnet outside someone's house (a converted Edwardian boathouse) and he came out and explained to me that I was tresapassing. He said would I give him my interesting finds as they were on his land :lol: I said no and went away as I am a polite type not wishing to aggrevate people.

I think technically he did have the right to prohibit me from loitering over his riverbed... Although a lock keeper friend of mine told me to go back do it again and tell him to "go away" rudely and forcefully if he told me off again :rolleyes:

I give permission to untie the ropes of all boats that have been there more than 24 hours, and give them a shove into the current.

Has no-one come up with this?: drop your partner off at the bank, then drop anchor in the river 2 feet from the shore.

What would happen if you untie a boat without the knowledge of those on board and the boat goes over a weir or something else happens that results in the death if those onboard. Manslaughter charge perhaps.

Was this the mooring where there were complaints about boaters playing very loud "music" in competition to an organised event? and from what I recall of the thread, they were not the nicest of people. If that is the case, the hefty charge is probably to get them to move

haggis

No.

Keith

This sort of thing really is the middle of the wedge. Much as I love the Thames the problems I had in finding any moorings for more than 24 hours (Abingdon an honourable exception) without being threatened with punitive fines means I am unlikely to return for a "whole summer" cruise. Many of those moorings I used to be able to use without cost or harassment are now seem to be full of long term moorers.

Without wishing to widen the thread its the same on CaRT waters. Threats of punitive costs if you dare to overstay potentially forcing you onto flooding rivers, "no return" within signs backed by the same punitive fines with no clear indication of how far the "no return" area extends - even CaRT boat checkers do not seem to know, and what app[eras to be a gradual reduction in 14 day moorings anywhere near public transport. It seems to me that it is now impossible to make a week's trip to Oxford (from Napton) and back because one is banned from stopping to resupplying in Banbury on the way back. CaRT are in effect ruling on where boater's can and can not shop. CaRT do not even remove signs banning mooring because of "commercial operations" when those operations have long since ceased.

I think we will try one more summer's cruising and if more of the system is the same as the Oxford I suspect we will sell that boat. I can do without ever present danger that the riparian owner or navigation authority will either slap a hefty charge on me or refuse to re-license my boat. Life is just to short for this sort of hassle.

Yes, Reading gives every indication that it does not want boaters to visit but the again they seem to be almost rabidly anti-car so perhaps anything that may be taken to indicate you have little bit of spare cash is enough for the council to anti-you.

The increase in continuous moorers on the Thames and elsewhere has happened as a direct result of the housing crisis in this country. So if you own land based property and have enjoyed the benefits of property price inflation over the past 20 years then count your blessings - I'm afraid you can't have it both ways. I'm not saying CMing is right or justified, but it will happen in a situation in which people need to live.

Edited by blackrose

I think we will try one more summer's cruising and if more of the system is the same as the Oxford I suspect we will sell that boat. I can do without ever present danger that the riparian owner or navigation authority will either slap a hefty charge on me or refuse to re-license my boat. Life is just to short for this sort of hassle.

Thinking of selling your boat after your huge history and contribution to the waterways is very sad.

I think the problem for you might be that you are a leisure boater in one of the most congested parts of the country.

We return to the K&A every winter and have increasing apprehension every year as it gets harder and harder to find good places to moor, especially with a deeper boat. Relaxing the visitor moorings to 14 days this year is also gong to make life very difficult for leisure boaters and "real" continuous cruisers. I expect you don't want to relocate your boat and face a long drive?,There are still many lovely parts of the system that are almost empty and with very little enforcement. Cruising spring and Autumn is also another good option.

..............Dave

Gordon brown and the rise of the buy to let slumlords taking affordable property out of reach of ordinary people and forcing them to pay off the other persons mortgage.

What a nice situation for a country to be in :rolleyes:

And before that there was Thatch who introduced regulations such 6 month tenancy agreements, that tipped the balance in favour of landlords rather than tenants. In other European countries renting is not seen as a trap and something to get out of, because tenants have greater rights and can feel that their rented house or flat is their home.

Edited by blackrose

Overall I can see the point for a council NOT wanting people to land on their land, live council tax free, then want all the services that councils pay for out of council tax income.

A working system for people wanting to trade with local shops while passing through would be a better plan.

How about the council build a staging all the way along by the old Palmers Biscuit factory (Tesco site) install electric and water and a pumpout machine them let it as residential moorings with a bit of 2hr landing at the end for visitors?

Strikes me it would improve the area hugely to have some permanent boats there on well organised residential moorings. I think this could be done in a lot of places on the River but I guess its expensive and the demand is not certain so its probably not a valid option... Possible issues with flooding as well I guess.

Without wishing to widen the thread its the same on CaRT waters.

This Summer has been our last on C&RT waters - NB sold and 'big-boat' bought.

Don't need the 'hassle' and threats of T&C's, grounding because of low water, no dredging, stiff paddles, broken lock gates, gates that take two people to open them, Vol-lockies that open paddles when you are not ready, need I go on ?

Tidal waters for us next year.

I have to say I sympathise with Tony Brooks, there can be such a lot of hassle and half the time you are looking over your shoulder to see if you are infringing one of many rules or upsetting some boat owner or other. Nothing is perfect but we find that even with the cost of travel its cheaper to keep a boat in France. It might not work too well with a narrowboat because of the length/cost issue but it works with a shorter/fatter boat.

I have to say I sympathise with Tony Brooks, there can be such a lot of hassle and half the time you are looking over your shoulder to see if you are infringing one of many rules or upsetting some boat owner or other. Nothing is perfect but we find that even with the cost of travel its cheaper to keep a boat in France. It might not work too well with a narrowboat because of the length/cost issue but it works with a shorter/fatter boat.

What is the particular length/cost issue in France? I know that some marinas can't accommodate boats over a certain length, but cost is often proportionate to boat length in the UK too?

Edited by blackrose

What is the particular length/cost issue in France? I know that some marinas can't accommodate boats over a certain length, but cost is often proportionate to boat length in the UK too?

Typical mooring rates on the French Canal System (by length)

http://port-royal-auxonne.com/Prices-portroyal.php

This Summer has been our last on C&RT waters - NB sold and 'big-boat' bought.

Don't need the 'hassle' and threats of T&C's, grounding because of low water, no dredging, stiff paddles, broken lock gates, gates that take two people to open them, Vol-lockies that open paddles when you are not ready, need I go on ?

Tidal waters for us next year.

Really expensive marina moorings, underwater rocks, seasickness and that ever present danger of death! And if you go too far there are Real Pirates! Are you sure?

And I have heard that the level in the big pound goes up and down twice every day.

............Dave

Really expensive marina moorings,................

Really - you mean more expensive than inland marinas ?

Hull, Wisbech, Conway, etc are all cheaper than I would pay on an Inland marina.

Remember at 14 foot (17 foot with fenders) beam I take up more than two NB moorings and are charged as a 'super widebeam'.

Example 10 metre (33 foot) boat 14 foot wide.

Hull (Tidal) £3190 pa

Lemonroyd (Canal) £4249 pa

Both BWML Marinas both widebeam costs both residential.

Marina at Goole (Tidal) £1030 + VAT = £1236 pa

BWML Newark (River) £3328 pa

Both for a widebeam, both leisure.

Canal boaters - we (you) have never had it so bad. !!!!

Really - you mean more expensive than inland marinas ?

Hull, Wisbech, Conway, etc are all cheaper than I would pay on an Inland marina.

Remember at 14 foot (17 foot with fenders) beam I take up more than two NB moorings and are charged as a 'super widebeam'.

Example 10 metre (33 foot) boat 14 foot wide.

Hull (Tidal) £3190 pa

Lemonroyd (Canal) £4249 pa

Both BWML Marinas both widebeam costs both residential.

Marina at Goole (Tidal) £1030 + VAT = £1236 pa

BWML Newark (River) £3328 pa

Both for a widebeam, both leisure.

Canal boaters - we (you) have never had it so bad. !!!!

How about Brighton rather than Hull