Reading doesn't want boaters anymore!

nipper

Featured Posts

The sign says £9.25 ( I wonder how they arrived at such an odd sum ) for 24 hours. As it doesn't say or any part thereof, or overnight,

this implies ( to me at least ) that there is no charge for less than 24 hours.

I've arrived there late on many an occasion and, after shopping, stopped over till the morning.

I will, no doubt, be doing that again and have no intention of parting with £9.25 for the privilege.

Keith

That's not how I read the sign. As it says the maximum stay is 24 hours, the (not entirely clear I grant you) implication is that any stay is charged.

That's not how I read the sign. As it says the maximum stay is 24 hours, the (not entirely clear I grant you) implication is that any stay is charged.

Well it wouldn't stop me visiting Tesco, if they took money off us, then we'd stay the night, if they didn't then we'd probably move on. Most places only seem to come out and collect once or twice a day don't they? I don't mind paying on the Thames, there are plenty of free spots that aren't hogged, plenty of free 24 hours, plenty of trees that you can tie to. We were on the Thames for five weeks this summer, I think we paid for moorings for about 8 days.

The sign says £9.25 ( I wonder how they arrived at such an odd sum ) for 24 hours. As it doesn't say or any part thereof, or overnight,

this implies ( to me at least ) that there is no charge for less than 24 hours.

I've arrived there late on many an occasion and, after shopping, stopped over till the morning.

I will, no doubt, be doing that again and have no intention of parting with £9.25 for the privilege.

Keith

Is it £9 + a 25p transaction fee perhaps? Edited by magnetman

Put a sign on your boat saying: "I'm here illegally, I am not entering a contract and I do not accept your T&C's’.

to paraphrase:

“ The position in respect of any normal user of the riverbank is that, by mooring their boat, they are entering into a contract with the Council to pay a sum of money in return for the Council allowing them to leave their boat for a specified amount of time.

If the boat is left for longer than the paid for time, no payment is made, there is, in effect, a breach of contract which entitles the Council to make a penalty charge.
Your boat is there as an illegal occupier and, as such, there is no contract with them.
In the circumstances the appropriate course of action was not for ‘breach of contract’ but for ‘illegal occupation’. ”
Edited by Alenafour

Put a sign on your boat saying: "I'm here illegally, I am not entering a contract and I do not accept your T&C's’.

to paraphrase:

“ The position in respect of any normal user of the riverbank is that, by mooring their boat, they are entering into a contract with the Council to pay a sum of money in return for the Council allowing them to leave their boat for a specified amount of time.

If the boat is left for longer than the paid for time, no payment is made, there is, in effect, a breach of contract which entitles the Council to make a penalty charge.
Your boat is there as an illegal occupier and, as such, there is no contract with them.
In the circumstances the appropriate course of action was not for ‘breach of contract’ but for ‘illegal occupation’. ”

Looks good

It isn't somewhere I would want to moor any longer than to get the shopping. Only once out of half a dozen times have I not been able to moor. Going up through the lock provides much better moorings.

If you are only there for a couple of hours and spend the time shopping how are they going to collect the fee?

It isn't somewhere I would want to moor any longer than to get the shopping. Only once out of half a dozen times have I not been able to moor. Going up through the lock provides much better moorings.

If you are only there for a couple of hours and spend the time shopping how are they going to collect the fee?

Yes, and those much better Mooring are set at the same price!

I'm there now!

As ever, no rings and you have to put your pins in whilst stepping through the goose shyte!!

Nipper

Although not near the town there are nice ea 24h free moorings just above Sonning lock on towpath side. It may be described as catastrophically boring depending on what you like but they are free moorings and about half an hour down stream from Tesco :) no rings though and a slight idiot cyclist problem but not too severe last time we were there in summer 2014..

We came off the Kennet and Avon in March this year and the same 5 or 6 boats were still there from the previous October and were still there in September of this year. I asked one chap moored there who has 2 boats "when are you going to move"he replied " when i feel like it". The very same chap had a written notice on the side of his boat informing anyone who puts any notices on the boat will be liable to charges. A right real piss taker who thinks he knows it. Probably Reading council along with the Thames authority have used this method of charging to rid of these c/moorers.

We came off the Kennet and Avon in March this year and the same 5 or 6 boats were still there from the previous October and were still there in September of this year. I asked one chap moored there who has 2 boats "when are you going to move"he replied " when i feel like it". The very same chap had a written notice on the side of his boat informing anyone who puts any notices on the boat will be liable to charges. A right real piss taker who thinks he knows it. Probably Reading council along with the Thames authority have used this method of charging to rid of these c/moorers.

That all seems reasonable, but why not allow free mooring for the first 24 hours, or even 2 hours to do shopping. We used Tesco's there on the way downstream and on the way back up, and found it very useful.

That all seems reasonable, but why not allow free mooring for the first 24 hours, or even 2 hours to do shopping. We used Tesco's there on the way downstream and on the way back up, and found it very useful.

Probably because

a the cant police it

b they dont care if you stop or not

I'm sure nobody is going to be charged any money if they stop do the shopping then leave, or if they arrive late and stay overnight then go in the morning. Only way to do that would be someone like Steve below Henley bridge. Seems to me to be a way to "deal with" potential long term occupation of the mooring.

this, I doubt you'd get charged unless you stayed overnight.

I personally think it should be a non-overnight stop on the wooden staging by Tesco because it is such a useful mooring it would be much better if it was a stop and shop option which is what we use it for if there is space there when we pass (usually a couple of times in the summer)

Was this the mooring where there were complaints about boaters playing very loud "music" in competition to an organised event? and from what I recall of the thread, they were not the nicest of people. If that is the case, the hefty charge is probably to get them to move

haggis

Edited by haggis

Was this the mooring where there were complaints about boaters playing very loud "music" in competition to an organised event? and from what I recall of the thread, they were not the nicest of people. If that is the case, the hefty charge is probably to get them to move

haggis

Could that be the boats on the other side of the river, they must have a stadium sized PA system judging by the volume.

I posted before on the anti boat people of Reading.

We stayed 3 days this year on the shitty (literally) moorings in the park, they asked for money once and we negotiated half price as the signs from last year when the price was half! were still up as well as the new signs, on our return we moored further away from the park offices and were not troubled, but really they just dont want boaters, the nice free 24 hour mooring outside Thames Water has gone and there are new no mooring signs after the bridges.

Its the sort of issue you would expect the ATYC or IWA to take up but there is no evidence they have.

As to whether Reading's posh, historically it was famous for being average for the country, with a typical range of incomes, and was often used for test marketing of products for that reason. There were good and bad bits, and that was my impression of it on various visits and when I worked there in 1991-93. Nowadays I imagine it's gone up in the world a bit due to the general prosperity of the Thames Valley and the growth of the software business in and around Reading in particular, and viewing it from the Thames and Kennet in July it looked OK to me.

Mike the Boilerman hails from Reading.

Sez it all really!

• Greenie 2

Could that be the boats on the other side of the river, they must have a stadium sized PA system judging by the volume.

I know one of them has a Drum kit! as he was thumping it out whilst we was shopping at Tesco's, Moored there without any intention of paying anything!

Those of you that have "Done the Thames" will be aware that the best place to stop in Reading for shopping is in Tesco's at Kings Meadow!

A free mooring for shopper outside the very doors of Tesco's.

Well, not any more, charges are being levied on moored boats the same as at the Park above Caversham Lock

All this is done, apparently by Reading Council, who it appearers, really don't want cruising boats, including the Hire boats to moor in there posh town!

DSC_0209.JPG

Nipper

bottom line is point blank say no as we have paid a license so get the money from CRT.This is just the the tip of the iceberg as more and more councils seem to think that because they spend money developing the cycle paths sorry I mean towpath (I wonder where towpath originates from) they can dictate where boaters can or cannot moor!!

I feel boaters should start installing mooring rings in where councils have made it impossible to moor!!

Edited by Ajna

bottom line is point blank say no as we have paid a license so get the money from CRT.This is just the the tip of the iceberg as more and more councils seem to think that because they spend money developing the cycle paths sorry I mean towpath (I wonder where towpath originates from) they can dictate where boaters can or cannot moor!!

I feel boaters should start installing mooring rings in where councils have made it impossible to moor!!

Its nothing to do with CRT

Its nothing to do with CRT

If it's next to the canal CRT own the land under the water on either side.

If this is the argument being presented lets be very dubious here as how far are these people going to push the boundaries to prevent boats from mooring!

Edited by Ajna